About Matthew 5:17 (Jesus said he has not come to change law)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2013, 09:34 AM
RE: About Matthew 5:17 (Jesus said he has not come to change law)
The most rational explanation I have heard is that Jews remain under the law and that is what Jesus was talking about, but that gentiles were never bound by the law. Therefore the old testament laws continue to apply possibly even to Christian Jews, but not to Christian gentiles.

Still, it's a stretch - and It's not clear why rules would then apply differently to different people.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2013, 09:36 AM
Tell me again why anyone is trying to make sense of this. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
05-01-2013, 10:02 AM
There are 613 rules in the OT. Almost all of them are not followed by the majority of christians.
However that doesn't matter because the son of god came so there.

(blech)

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
05-01-2013, 02:40 PM
(04-01-2013 09:41 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  EDIT: he/she said that the slavery and such did not apply because jesus said he was not here to change rules. Apparently the slave stuff wasn't rules, same with stoning people for tons of silly things. The ten commandments are safe because they are laws
But did he/she specify which set of the Ten Commandments? The ones that every know and Moses smashed in a hissy fit (don't steal, kill, bear false witness, covet...), or the second set that is supposedly preserved in the Ark of the Covenant (no boiling a goat in its mother milk, the young men meeting the Big Daddy every three years...)? Consider

"Life - its the fun thing that happened on the way to the cemetery."
-Poilce Officer Janson, Raid
I live in the land of Santa, fool!
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire
05-01-2013, 03:19 PM
Evolutionary behavior.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 3 users Like fstratzero's post
05-01-2013, 04:34 PM
I hadn't discovered the Wholly Crap series on youtube before now. They're pretty good. Thanks for bringing them to my attention.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
05-01-2013, 04:52 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2013 05:12 PM by Adenosis.)
(05-01-2013 07:13 AM)Red Tornado Wrote:  I actually cornered a theist and told her, "Well, who is your master? Paul or Jesus? Pick one because they contrast each other." Never got a straight answer back.
Can you be more specific about how they contrast each other?
If you feel up to it Smile

Great videos, thanks.

@Chas because I'd like to get good at debating with this nonsense to try and at least open some peoples minds. The amount of people that believe in this stuff is really disheartening.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

05-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Because Paul has alot of definite views on government, homosexuality and so forth within his Epistles that either Jesus never mentions or speaks directly against.

This is due to Protestantism just /loves/ quoting Paul as if Paul is actually Jesus. They quote him, in the South at least, more than Jesus because it justifies their positions when they pick the 'correct' quote. Jesus was speaking on good works to the poor, the rich man can not easily get into heaven, and pretty much was more radical than Paul in many degrees.

Paul, however, says we should submit to the government and slaves should obey their masters. Now while I hold that christians already bastardize the "Give unto Caesar's what is Caesar's, and give unto God what is God's" - this is their way to cop-out of the rebellious nature of Jesus presented in the Bible and have all the christian be nice-government-loving people because Paul (apparently God) told them to.

..Except never listen to James. NEVER. What is James even.
[+] 1 user Likes Raskolnikov's post
05-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Paul and the NT were big on misogyny. We womenfolk are supposed to shut up and do what our overlord husbands tell us (not sure what those of us who don't have a husband or father to guide us are supposed to do...) Many churches will not let women be clergy or be deacons or whatever. You know I cry myself to sleep over all this wondering how to comply, NOT! I even supervise some men at work, so I guess I'm really going to hell in a handbasket!

Godless in the Magnolia State
[+] 1 user Likes cjs's post
05-01-2013, 09:04 PM
(05-01-2013 04:52 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  
(05-01-2013 07:13 AM)Red Tornado Wrote:  I actually cornered a theist and told her, "Well, who is your master? Paul or Jesus? Pick one because they contrast each other." Never got a straight answer back.
Can you be more specific about how they contrast each other?
If you feel up to it Smile

Great videos, thanks.

@Chas because I'd like to get good at debating with this nonsense to try and at least open some peoples minds. The amount of people that believe in this stuff is really disheartening.
I guess I can help out.

Jesus affirming the Old Testament.
Matthew 5:17 says, "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill"
John 14:15 says, "If you love Me, keep My commandments."

Paul/Saul of tarsis, negating the Old Testament
Galatians 2:16 "Knowing this that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law, for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified."
Ephesians 2:15 by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace,
Galatians 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Historical Jesus yes/no? need sources for ongoing talk bronzedivision 4 98 25-07-2014 10:32 AM
Last Post: Deltabravo
  A change of brain Hennepin 2 425 26-03-2014 09:38 AM
Last Post: proplayer44
  Jesus and the Old Testament CasualSpooner 3 292 24-07-2013 05:44 PM
Last Post: CasualSpooner
  OT Invalidated by Jesus Arguments Against PersephoneK 18 847 04-05-2013 06:15 PM
Last Post: amyb
  Facebook: Bible=Jesus Hafnof 4 728 07-04-2013 02:56 AM
Last Post: DLJ
  Jesus vs Horus vs Mithras vs etc. Weeeeee_Zard 6 1,542 08-03-2013 07:01 AM
Last Post: EGross
  "Gay marriage makes Jesus cry" arethosemyfeet? 64 2,986 28-02-2013 09:44 AM
Last Post: ClydeLee