About divine love

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
22-05-2014, 10:18 AM
RE: About divine love
(22-05-2014 08:07 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 06:41 AM)living thing Wrote:  If imagination is the process by which the brain produces complex abstract notions by combining simpler ones and then feeds the result to itself, as if the notions had arrived through the senses, for subsequent cycles of processing...
We're not thinking of imagination in the same terms.

"Imagination, also called the faculty of imagining, is the ability to form new images and sensations that are not perceived through senses such as sight, hearing, or other senses. Imagination helps make knowledge applicable in solving problems and is fundamental to integrating experience and the learning process"
-Wikipedia
I'd say we are thinking of imagination in similar terms; we've both mentioned how it is related to producing non-sensorial perceptions in our brains. When I visualise a centaur in my mind, I am taking two simpler notions (half a man and half a horse) and combining them together in order to form a picture that does not enter my brain through my senses. Likewise if I arrange a few musical notes into a melody without even humming it out. However, I'm not sure I can imagine new smells.

(22-05-2014 08:07 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  If a animal is capable of learning, it is capable of a very rudimentary imagination. I think that humans have a very well developed and complex imagination (Chimpanzees, as advanced and similar as they are, still are not composing symphonies or building the Hubble telescope). Pigeons have been shown to exhibit, for lack of a better term, superstitious behavior in controlled laboratory experiments. Food was dispensed into a pidgeon's cage at predetermined times, but after a time the pigeons were observed to be repeating the actions that they did right before the last time they were given food. The pigeons were exhibiting superstitious behavior, conceivably repeating actions that they perceived coincided with the arrival of food; even though those actions had no effect on the actual dispensing of the food.
That "superstitious behaviour" seems related to the operation of our amygdalae; a sub-organ in our brains and those of other vertebrates that enables us to learn how to respond to external stimuli through a feedback mechanism of pleasure and pain.

During our embryological development, connections are established fairly randomly in our amygdalae between afferent neural pathways conveying sensory information and efferent neural pathways yielding different responses, so that one complex stimulus may result in a set of different responses, and multiple stimuli may result in the same response. During our lifetime, as we encounter different situations, those connections trigger different responses which may be beneficial, detrimental or neutral for us.

The cells responsible for the connection remain chemically active for a period of time after the reaction to a stimulus happens, and the glial cells that nourish them use that information, as well as information coming from sensory cells, in order to modulate the nourishment. If the outcome is of pleasure or satisfaction, mediated by a set of neurotransmitters, the cells responsible for the connection are fed and the connection is thus enhanced, making it more likely that future encounters with the same stimulus will trigger the same response. If the outcome is of pain or disgust, mediated by a different set of neurotransmitters, glial cells stop nourishing the nerve cells responsible for the connection, eventually causing their degeneration and the physical disconnection of that afferent/efferent pair, thus preventing the same painful response from being repeated in future encounters with the same stimulus.

Whenever those pidgeons were fed, their actions immediately prior to the feeding were rewarded even if they had nothing to do with the feeding, and thus the birds repeated those pointless actions.

But our ability to invent seems much more related to the operations happening in our temporal lobes, the feature of our brains where they differ most from our closest non-human relatives; the parts responsible for our ability to recall memories sequentially and operate logically with them. I don't know which non-human animals may have similar abilities if any, I'm not claiming that non-human animals cannot imagine stuff like we can, but I am not sure their ability to learn adequate behaviours implies their ability to imagine stuff like we can. Do you know what I mean?

In any case, thanks for the interesting link.

(22-05-2014 08:07 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 06:41 AM)living thing Wrote:  What about divine love? What do you think it means?
Anthropocentrism, projection, and ignorance run amok.

Anthropocentrism /ˌænθrɵpɵˈsɛntrɪzəm/ (from Greek: ἄνθρωπος, ánthrōpos, "human being"; and κέντρον, kéntron, "center") is the belief that human beings are the central or most significant species on the planet (in the sense that they are considered to have a moral status or value higher than that of other animals), or the assessment of reality through an exclusively human perspective.
-Wikipedia
I appreciate that information, although I am not sure I understand what you mean by it. Are you suggesting that godly love is a synonym for anthropocentrism? But the divine love mentioned so far is rather theocentric, don't you think? Or are you maybe suggesting that anthropocentrism is the reason why we create gods with human features, and that we are simply projecting our own greed and selfishness onto the gods we create?

Thanks for an interesting view, EvolutionKills. Have a good day!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2014, 10:22 AM
(22-05-2014 08:17 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 03:48 AM)living thing Wrote:  Maybe, but I don't see how that would be possible [that Yahweh is shagging us already].

What you're still caught up on that whole "not existing" thing? Let it go man, non of us believers care that he doesn't exist! Tongue
Oh, no, please don't get me wrong! I don't think it exists but that does not necessarily imply it does not exist; it might imply I'm wrong.

No, I was saying that because if there were an existing thing shagging me right now, I think I'd be noticing.

Nevertheless, this view of divine love gives the expression "One nation under God" a slight twist, doesn't it? I wonder when will God put the nation on all four Tongue

Thanks, Lostandinsecure. Have fun!
22-05-2014, 10:52 AM
(22-05-2014 06:41 AM)living thing Wrote:  The truth is I don't really know, but I find the topic interesting. What about divine love? What do you think it means?

Thanks!

What do you think it means? You haven't defined it, so I think your question is meaningless.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-05-2014, 11:33 AM

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
26-05-2014, 07:54 PM
I do not want to be divinely loved for an eternity by an old white man with a beard.
26-05-2014, 08:12 PM
"Divine love" is anthropomorphic projection of a human emotion onto the gods. The fact that it's a process, and changes, which means it's inapplicable to a timeless deity.

Jebus loves me. This I know.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
26-05-2014, 09:10 PM
(26-05-2014 07:54 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  I do not want to be divinely loved for an eternity by an old white man with a beard.

Why you reject me? Sadcryface2

[Image: OldGuy.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
26-05-2014, 09:31 PM
(26-05-2014 08:12 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  "Divine love" is anthropomorphic projection of a human emotion onto the gods. The fact that it's a process, and changes, which means it's inapplicable to a timeless deity.

Jebus loves me. This I know.

I don't care how many times I see it, that vid fucking kills me!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
26-05-2014, 11:02 PM
Divine means relating to or coming from God or a god. And knowing all that I do about the biblical God, saying divine love is a fucking oxymoron.
There is no such thing.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like CindysRain's post
27-05-2014, 03:32 AM
(26-05-2014 07:54 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  I do not want to be divinely loved for an eternity by an old white man with a beard.
No, I don't want to feel the Lord inside me either!