About giving tithes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2014, 01:53 AM
RE: About giving thites.
Somehow I misread this thread as about giving titties. I'm disappointed now. Nevertheless, first I gotta get this off my chest. Hehehe,chest, titties.

Yes! Giving money because fancy-ass looking buildings don't just spring forth from the ground on their own!
[Image: salt-lake-mormon-temple.jpg]
No sir! You gotta make the people pour their money into it so they appreciate it!

But really, business wise, tithes make sense. Especially if you play it up to not be that much. I know growing up, they kept telling us that 10% isn't really that much which honestly isn't that much. 10% of a dollar is 10 cents though it's still a pinch for people that need it (it humors/annoys me that one of the more popular Mormon bookstore companies keep advertising stuff being 10% off and makes it sound like such a great deal. Well, dipshit, I know that's a bad deal cuz I've grown up knowing that 10% isn't that much!). It also helps if you make it mandatory...like you can't go to the cool kid's club in the temple if you don't faithfully keep paying your tithing (I didn't want that sexy magic underwear anyways!). I honestly don't know for sure how it works in other churches but I'm pretty sure the tithe helps run things in the church as well as help other poorer people in the community. So I'm told. No real way to know where all that money's going. I don't think they have to keep official records of that. So they could tell you they're giving to the poor but really not being doing that. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but my cocky confident side doubts it.And if you feel good about that then kudos to you Huh

[Image: notagain.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Miss Suzanne's post
21-02-2014, 03:40 AM

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
21-02-2014, 04:02 AM
Confession:
Until I joined this forum, I had no idea that this practice continued.

At school (and a church school, at that) we were taught that it was a strange medieval custom.

Tithe barns (converted) were where some of the posher people lived (and the really wealthy were converting churches into luxury homes).

21-02-2014, 06:11 AM
The idea of tithing (10% of gross income) in churches, in the states, is pushed pretty hard in Protestant churches. Ideally, the tithes brought in are to go toward supporting the church and it's bills, including minister and family income, and hopefully, occasionally needy church members. I think this is Ok.

Also, if the church is connected to a larger body, such as Southern Baptist then a portion, or a tithe from the church itself may go to the central organization.

Unfortunately, many churches are very large or may have wealthy members, so the minister may get paid a percentage of the monies coming in and this may lead to an "ungodly" income. The church may also then invest, use the excess to generate more.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
21-02-2014, 06:28 AM
I worked for a minister and his wife, secular work, with an "ungodly income. Their home was about 70 miles from their church (two churches actually and they were the only governing body of their churches--like a monarchy). Their home was a mansion way out in the woods away from all main roads.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
21-02-2014, 07:28 AM
(21-02-2014 04:02 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Confession:
Until I joined this forum, I had no idea that this practice continued.

At school (and a church school, at that) we were taught that it was a strange medieval custom.

Tithe barns (converted) were where some of the posher people lived (and the really wealthy were converting churches into luxury homes).

Yes DLJ, this was my experience too.
I know us Brits are encouraged to put into the collection plate but I didn't realise that literal tithing (i.e 10 % of income) still existed as it seems to in th States especially in the Mormon church.
You learn something every day.
21-02-2014, 11:03 AM
RE: About giving tithes
You people should have more tolerance for spelling mistakes, specially in a place where people from over the world is posting and english isn't always their first language. I'ts ok to mention it but more than that is just childish and disrespectful.

I changed the title, happy now?

Che raza OGT y grosera se creen la gran cosa porque hablan bien un idioma!

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
22-02-2014, 01:07 AM
I don't see any real problem with the concept of tithing since you are going to a church for a service and therefore should pay for the service. Even if the church gets tax free status, it still has bills such as maintenance and repair, priest's salary, heating and electrical ect. that still need to be paid. Its not meant to be giving money to God. it is very much giving money to the church building itself.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
22-02-2014, 03:17 AM
(22-02-2014 01:07 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I don't see any real problem with the concept of tithing since you are going to a church for a service and therefore should pay for the service. Even if the church gets tax free status, it still has bills such as maintenance and repair, priest's salary, heating and electrical ect. that still need to be paid. Its not meant to be giving money to God. it is very much giving money to the church building itself.

This is true. After all it's a business really and a very profitable one in most cases.
I do think, however, that religious organisations should not have tax free status but that's another argument for another day.
[+] 1 user Likes englishrose's post