About post deletion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2012, 11:56 PM
About post deletion
In this thread, I made a terrible terrible mistake, I posted a response with the treasure account (the one for the game). When I realized this I immediately tried to fix it by deleting the post (with the same account of course) but to no avail, it seems that we can't delete our own posts.

So I would like to ask why is this? and can it be changed? I'd like to be able to remove my posts when I make this kind of mistakes. I remember a forum in which they let us delete the posts within a margin of time (I think it was 30 minutes or so) so the feature wouldn't be abused by trolls and other internet dark creatures.

What do you think?

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2012, 11:59 PM
RE: About post deletion
With a time limit it might be worth considering. I'd make the time limit much shorter though like 2-3 mins..

If you make a mistake you should have realised it by the moment you see it on screen. Once people would start responding it's too late. We'll have to talk about it and get back to you about that.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
29-02-2012, 12:51 AM
(28-02-2012 11:59 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  With a time limit it might be worth considering. I'd make the time limit much shorter though like 2-3 mins..

If you make a mistake you should have realised it by the moment you see it on screen. Once people would start responding it's too late. We'll have to talk about it and get back to you about that.

I understand, but to err is human Wink

thanks for considering it Big Grin

29-02-2012, 01:07 AM (This post was last modified: 29-02-2012 01:10 AM by DeepThought.)
Thing is you are allowed to edit your post. There is a world of difference between making a typo and posting something to the public and changing your mind...

The main issue is if you generate a thread deleting it would delete all the replies. With deleting posts the it's less of an issue but people could respond to what you wrote and deleting it breaks continuity. The ability to delete posts was removed for those reasons.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
29-02-2012, 01:13 AM
(29-02-2012 01:07 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  Thing is you are allowed to edit your post. There is a world of difference between making a typo and posting something to the public and changing your mind...

yes, of course, I remember that in this other forum they didn't have a feature to merge double posts, so in those cases deleting posts came in handy to avoid breaking the double post rule. In this one that is not the case.
If I can come up with a better reason to have this feature I'll let you know Big Grin

29-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Nothing to stop you from doing something like this as long as you catch it before someone else has already captured your idiocy in a response. Wink

Original Post: I am an idiot.

Edited Post: ..... Blush

Save Changes.

I've had to resort to this tactic on more than one occasion. Blush

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post