About religion in schools and how it affected my life; now I’m a smoker.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-07-2017, 08:41 AM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2017 08:45 AM by jebus.)
About religion in schools and how it affected my life; now I’m a smoker.
I had a problem with priests I talked about on another forum because I think they are getting paid for nothing, at best. But with every day I find out different ways religion is acting like a parasite on my life.
When I was in school, until 2005, (now I’m in my early 30s), I had a class called religious education. It was an hour a week. It was a waste of time, at best. One day they asked us what class we think should be eliminated. I answered religion, of course, and I stuck with this mentality ever since.
The problem is that you could do something useful in that time, and even nothing at all is still better. What I would like to had done is something like drug education. I’m referring here first of all to legal drugs, nicotine and caffeine. Back then I was mostly underage and I had no desire to smoke. But that turned out not to be enough in my circumstances.
I did not started smoking on my own, but because a girl actually put a lit cigarette in my mouth and told me to puff away. After that, being introduced to the drug, I became curious and because there were other girls smoking, I tried some of their cigarettes. The rest is history and at present day I am a smoker that also consumes energy drinks.
Now before blaming her lame behavior, I must admit It’s partially my fault, because I was cocky. And I was cocky because no one warned me you could get hooked if you play with fire like that. I had to find out the hard way because no one in school educated me how to recognize these moments and how to avoid them. No one told me to run the f*** away from nicotine. Instead I had the misery to learn about imaginary lands and people, and listen to men dressed ridiculously and their lies.
So thanks a lot f***tards responsible for education, instead of keeping young people from smoking and doing drugs you introduce them to being weak and stupid in coping with reality.

Please share your opinions and thoughts on this. Thank you!
Note: I’m not writing this so I would quit smoking. It would be great, but I don’t really care. It’s not worth all the effort for something that is not really my fault and responsibility.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2017, 08:29 AM
RE: About religion in schools and how it affected my life; now I’m a smoker.
(16-07-2017 08:41 AM)jebus Wrote:  Note: I’m not writing this so I would quit smoking. It would be great, but I don’t really care. It’s not worth all the effort for something that is not really my fault and responsibility.

How is your smoking habit not your fault? You could have refused to start the habit if you had chosen to do so. And how is it connected to teaching religion in school? I can see no way these subjects are related.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes theophilus's post
17-07-2017, 08:40 AM
(16-07-2017 08:41 AM)jebus Wrote:  When I was in school, until 2005, (now I’m in my early 30s), I had a class called religious education. It was an hour a week. It was a waste of time, at best. One day they asked us what class we think should be eliminated. I answered religion, of course, and I stuck with this mentality ever since.

I don't know where you come from, but was it mandatory? We had religious education also but once I turned 16, I opted out. Before that my parents had to sign that paper, but it was never mandatory.

I went to that class even though I was no longer required to, since, as I said in another thread, it was held by the one and only teacher I fully respected and liked. He wasn't a bible basher but talked and discussed with us a lot of other stuff.

As for drug education, that wouldn't have helped in my case. Almost everyone smoked in the early 80ies and almost everyone smoked the occasional joint on the side. The group pressure did the rest.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
17-07-2017, 09:01 AM
Religious Education is mandatory in UK schools, and as an Atheist, I don't see it as a waste of time at all. It's not about indoctrinating you in anyway, just teaching you about what religions there are and what some people believe. It teaches about all major religions and their basis/belief systems. If anything, in my opinion, this may even help some religious kids to see that their belief system is A) not the only one and b) probably learn something that they outright didn't know, and then hopefully c) question themselves about why they believe something.

In terms of smoking, despite social pressure being present, you have to take responsibility for that mate. At the very end of it, it was your choice. I grew up around smoking; Both sets of grandparents smoked and a lot of my friends did. And don't get me wrong, I've had a puff myself, because you might as well try something before you write it off [Note: that doesn't mean you should try crystal meth like, but you get the idea] and I decided in full knowledge that it's just not for me. Many years after school, and I'm still smoke free now. Want to quit? Do so, I would recommend it, as you'll end up paying the price for it in the long run.

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
17-07-2017, 09:04 AM
(17-07-2017 09:01 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Do so, I would recommend it, as you'll end up paying the price for it in the long run.

Easier said than done. It's an addiction like any other addiction.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
17-07-2017, 09:07 AM
(17-07-2017 09:04 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 09:01 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Do so, I would recommend it, as you'll end up paying the price for it in the long run.

Easier said than done. It's an addiction like any other addiction.
Indeed it is, but can be done, and help is out there.

Depends where you live, but UK has FREE stop smoking materials you can pick up from your doctor, plus there are multiple products (Gum/Patches/Nicotine pens/vaping things) that can also help you. It's mostly will power, but out of everything I would probably say Smoking has a huge support network, for those who want it.

Edit: Worth pointing out, if you want to smoke, feel free to do so. It's not for me, but if you want to smoke, fair enough.

17-07-2017, 09:43 AM
(17-07-2017 08:40 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(16-07-2017 08:41 AM)jebus Wrote:  When I was in school, until 2005, (now I’m in my early 30s), I had a class called religious education. It was an hour a week. It was a waste of time, at best. One day they asked us what class we think should be eliminated. I answered religion, of course, and I stuck with this mentality ever since.

I don't know where you come from, but was it mandatory? We had religious education also but once I turned 16, I opted out. Before that my parents had to sign that paper, but it was never mandatory.

I went to that class even though I was no longer required to, since, as I said in another thread, it was held by the one and only teacher I fully respected and liked. He wasn't a bible basher but talked and discussed with us a lot of other stuff.

As for drug education, that wouldn't have helped in my case. Almost everyone smoked in the early 80ies and almost everyone smoked the occasional joint on the side. The group pressure did the rest.

i'm from romania, one of the most religious country after turkey. religion was mandatory. today you can opt out when you turn 18. it was really lame, as a priest would teach. I had numerous conflicts with them and even now they feel superior in their stupidity. I think I would had done anything else, even women's biology Smile
17-07-2017, 10:04 AM
(17-07-2017 09:01 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Religious Education is mandatory in UK schools, and as an Atheist, I don't see it as a waste of time at all. It's not about indoctrinating you in anyway, just teaching you about what religions there are and what some people believe. It teaches about all major religions and their basis/belief systems. If anything, in my opinion, this may even help some religious kids to see that their belief system is A) not the only one and b) probably learn something that they outright didn't know, and then hopefully c) question themselves about why they believe something.

In terms of smoking, despite social pressure being present, you have to take responsibility for that mate. At the very end of it, it was your choice. I grew up around smoking; Both sets of grandparents smoked and a lot of my friends did. And don't get me wrong, I've had a puff myself, because you might as well try something before you write it off [Note: that doesn't mean you should try crystal meth like, but you get the idea] and I decided in full knowledge that it's just not for me. Many years after school, and I'm still smoke free now. Want to quit? Do so, I would recommend it, as you'll end up paying the price for it in the long run.

aside religious education, witch was exclusively orthodox, I also had a class called history of religions, witch was more like what you described. that was ok, I guess.
problem with smoking is that even if you get passed over the critique that you destroy your health, cigarettes are taxed as hell (sorry). so I get a lot of social pressure the other direction. my point is I don't have a choice here, because I don't really accept these things. life becomes so serious when there's health and money involved but when you start safe, you might as well go to heaven.Undecided
17-07-2017, 10:20 AM
(17-07-2017 08:29 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(16-07-2017 08:41 AM)jebus Wrote:  Note: I’m not writing this so I would quit smoking. It would be great, but I don’t really care. It’s not worth all the effort for something that is not really my fault and responsibility.

How is your smoking habit not your fault? You could have refused to start the habit if you had chosen to do so. And how is it connected to teaching religion in school? I can see no way these subjects are related.

well here's what I had to learn on my own. nicotine is the fastest addictive drug. one cigarette can get you hooked. if you take one puff you're playing dice. so there are tones more important things then religion, which has 0 relevance.
17-07-2017, 10:31 AM
(17-07-2017 10:20 AM)jebus Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 08:29 AM)theophilus Wrote:  How is your smoking habit not your fault? You could have refused to start the habit if you had chosen to do so. And how is it connected to teaching religion in school? I can see no way these subjects are related.

well here's what I had to learn on my own. nicotine is the fastest addictive drug. one cigarette can get you hooked. if you take one puff you're playing dice. so there are tones more important things then religion, which has 0 relevance.
I really don't want this thread to turn into a bashing thread about smokers/smoking, but you have to take some sort of responsibility here mate.

Yes nicotine is very addictive, but it's not impossible to quit. It does take a lot of will power and again there are products that can help you as well, but it can be done and MANY people do. It's just you're whole attitude here seems to be "it's addictive, so I'm hooked for life". As with anything, if you want to do something, you have to actually try first.

My grandparents, I mentioned earlier smoked all their lives. From ages 18-50+. Then one day decided to stop. Yep they had to slowly reduce their intake of cigarettes and use all sort of stuff to help, Gum/patches etc, but they did it. And again MANY others do that as well, so why not at least try it?

Again if you WANT to smoke, that's fine, just don't act like you have no choice and had no choice when you started.