About religion in schools and how it affected my life; now I’m a smoker.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2017, 10:49 AM
RE: About religion in schools and how it affected my life; now I’m a smoker.
(17-07-2017 10:31 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 10:20 AM)jebus Wrote:  well here's what I had to learn on my own. nicotine is the fastest addictive drug. one cigarette can get you hooked. if you take one puff you're playing dice. so there are tones more important things then religion, which has 0 relevance.
I really don't want this thread to turn into a bashing thread about smokers/smoking, but you have to take some sort of responsibility here mate.

Yes nicotine is very addictive, but it's not impossible to quit. It does take a lot of will power and again there are products that can help you as well, but it can be done and MANY people do. It's just you're whole attitude here seems to be "it's addictive, so I'm hooked for life". As with anything, if you want to do something, you have to actually try first.

My grandparents, I mentioned earlier smoked all their lives. From ages 18-50+. Then one day decided to stop. Yep they had to slowly reduce their intake of cigarettes and use all sort of stuff to help, Gum/patches etc, but they did it. And again MANY others do that as well, so why not at least try it?

Again if you WANT to smoke, that's fine, just don't act like you have no choice and had no choice when you started.

fair enough. I actually quit many times but I relapse a lot and this time I've been smoking for two and a half years while being a serial quitter (someone who tries to quit constantly but fails). I just went to my roots, when I was 19, trying to make sense and I came to the conclusion that society is a mess when it comes to smoking.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2017, 11:32 AM
(17-07-2017 08:29 AM)theophilus Wrote:  How is your smoking habit not your fault? You could have refused to start the habit if you had chosen to do so. And how is it connected to teaching religion in school? I can see no way these subjects are related.

I think the point that the OP was making referred to the wasted time spent "teaching" religion—or ancient myths and the occult—in preference to how to solve or avoid personal problems that may be encountered in our real-world society. Such as the deleterious health effects of smoking.

Your patronising, holier-than-thou attitude—"you could've refused" to try smoking—is typical of many theist's smug, blinkered approach to life in general. What kid of a past generation didn't try a few puffs of an illicit cigarette under the bleachers, even if it was simply to defy parental or schoolteacher proscription? I know that I did, and so did every one of my mates.

Self-righteous Christians are all too ready to blame the individual for their perceived moral weaknesses, with little or no consideration of the average person's foibles or failings.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
17-07-2017, 12:30 PM
(16-07-2017 08:41 AM)jebus Wrote:  I had a problem with priests I talked about on another forum because I think they are getting paid for nothing, at best. But with every day I find out different ways religion is acting like a parasite on my life.
When I was in school, until 2005, (now I’m in my early 30s), I had a class called religious education. It was an hour a week. It was a waste of time, at best. One day they asked us what class we think should be eliminated. I answered religion, of course, and I stuck with this mentality ever since.
If you're in the US, I'm thinking you must have gone to a parochial school; we didn't have religion classes in the public schools.

But all the Catholic kids, of which I was one, got to leave school a half hour early on Fridays, to go to the parochial school next to the church for our weekly "religious instruction" indoctrination. We were pissed that we had to stay in school a hour longer (on Friday!) than the non-Catholic kids. Can't say I ever got much out of it, but I used to sneak-read science books during class, when the nun wasn't looking. Got caught a couple of times, and whacked with a ruler (they could do that back in those days). Didn't stop me though; just made me dislike nuns more.

Quote:Please share your opinions and thoughts on this. Thank you!
Note: I’m not writing this so I would quit smoking. It would be great, but I don’t really care. It’s not worth all the effort for something that is not really my fault and responsibility.
Sorry to hear about your addiction, but there are ways to quit. And really, it is worth quitting; the health consequences of smoking are not pleasant.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
17-07-2017, 12:34 PM
(17-07-2017 09:01 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Religious Education is mandatory in UK schools, and as an Atheist, I don't see it as a waste of time at all. It's not about indoctrinating you in anyway, just teaching you about what religions there are and what some people believe. It teaches about all major religions and their basis/belief systems. If anything, in my opinion, this may even help some religious kids to see that their belief system is A) not the only one and b) probably learn something that they outright didn't know, and then hopefully c) question themselves about why they believe something.
That sounds like what we would call a "comparative religion" class, here.

When I see "religious education" my first thought is always of the "religious instruction" I was subjected to, which was indoctrination, pure and simple.

Quote:In terms of smoking, despite social pressure being present, you have to take responsibility for that mate. At the very end of it, it was your choice. I grew up around smoking; Both sets of grandparents smoked and a lot of my friends did. And don't get me wrong, I've had a puff myself, because you might as well try something before you write it off [Note: that doesn't mean you should try crystal meth like, but you get the idea] and I decided in full knowledge that it's just not for me. Many years after school, and I'm still smoke free now. Want to quit? Do so, I would recommend it, as you'll end up paying the price for it in the long run.

ayup.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
17-07-2017, 01:09 PM
I was a 3+ packs a day smoker. Started at 15 and smoked for close to 30 years. Used and abused the nicotine patch to quit. The clarity of vivid nightmares, full length movie style, probably came from the abuse part, since a couple of years after I quit they added that to the list of potential side effects.

I do not miss cigarettes at all. The smell of them makes me nauseous.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
02-08-2017, 07:02 AM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2017 07:06 AM by jebus.)
I would like to thank all of you that replied to this thread. I’m technically a non-smoker now Thumbsup (but not yet off the hook). I want to add this: is was a personal effort. I had to read a lot of crap and I kept monologues in between cigarettes on why I should quit.
Some of you wrote there is help out there, but let me ask you this: why do you get help AFTER you started smoking and never before? Non-smokers act like nuns when they see you smoke, but no one warned me when I was a young non-smokers about how much it sucks to be one.
At the same time there are smokers praising god because the religious matter is more important then the number 1 death cause in society. But maybe this is what society deserves, millions of people dying each year because at it’s core it has the afterlife taken care of.
02-08-2017, 07:12 AM
(17-07-2017 01:09 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  I was a 3+ packs a day smoker. Started at 15 and smoked for close to 30 years. Used and abused the nicotine patch to quit. The clarity of vivid nightmares, full length movie style, probably came from the abuse part, since a couple of years after I quit they added that to the list of potential side effects.

I do not miss cigarettes at all. The smell of them makes me nauseous.

Did you sleep with the patch on???

I had a buddy who did that, and had the same results. Not surprising as nicoitne acts as both a stimulant and a depressant. Think speedball.....

Once he quit using the patch at night his sleep patterns normalized..

I've had the same effect from my homemade 100 proof Kaluha. ( made with maple syrup and Everclear grain alcohol.....)

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
04-08-2017, 12:18 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2017 12:26 AM by LadyDay.)
Nevermind (deleted post)

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage