About special pleadings.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
04-10-2014, 02:01 PM
RE: About special pleadings.
(04-10-2014 09:28 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 02:16 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  More dishonest argumentation. Your whole intention here is to misrepresent and mislead, Heywood. You were a better person once.

More stupidity on your part. This is thread is not an argument about God. It is an argument about what is a special pleading and what isn't. I have said that several times now but you and others can't seem to get it thru you overly thick skulls.

You did say this:

"When a theist claims that God is un-caused it is not a special pleading. Why? Because the rule applies to those things which come into existence. An eternal God is something that does not come into existence and therefore is not governed by the rule, Everything that comes into existence must have a cause"

That's special pleading, right there! You said the rule applies to those things which come into existence. Then immediately, you turn around and made and exception for this god thing, claiming that it's eternal and that the rule doesn't apply to it.

You're not arguing about god? That's fine. You're arguing about what is and what's not special pleading? That's fine, too. Your example of what's not special pleading just happened to involved god, but hilariously is also an obvious example of what IS special pleading.

Also, this other gem from you:

"Everything that comes into existence requires a cause.
Revenant77x came into existence.
Therefore there must exist an eternal universe."

You're right this example is not special pleading. It's a entirely different fallacy!
The conclusion has nothing to do with the premises. Can guess the fallacy?

Fun times. thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2014, 02:06 PM
(04-10-2014 09:28 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 02:16 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  More dishonest argumentation. Your whole intention here is to misrepresent and mislead, Heywood. You were a better person once.

More stupidity on your part. This is thread is not an argument about God. It is an argument about what is a special pleading and what isn't. I have said that several times now but you and others can't seem to get it thru you overly thick skulls.

Right.....cause you and only you are the keeper of the proper definition for special pleading.....
Oh the irony is just too much

Yay!!!

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
04-10-2014, 02:08 PM
(04-10-2014 02:01 PM)xieulong Wrote:  You did say this:

"When a theist claims that God is un-caused it is not a special pleading. Why? Because the rule applies to those things which come into existence. An eternal God is something that does not come into existence and therefore is not governed by the rule, Everything that comes into existence must have a cause"

That's special pleading, right there! You said the rule applies to those things which come into existence. Then immediately, you turn around and made and exception for this god thing, claiming that it's eternal and that the rule doesn't apply to it.

Negative xieulong,

An exception would be given if God came into being but did not require a cause. God by most definitions is eternal.
04-10-2014, 02:10 PM
(04-10-2014 02:06 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 09:28 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  More stupidity on your part. This is thread is not an argument about God. It is an argument about what is a special pleading and what isn't. I have said that several times now but you and others can't seem to get it thru you overly thick skulls.

Right.....cause you and only you are the keeper of the proper definition for special pleading.....

Yay!!!

The thread was necessary because to many people were simply spouting "special pleading" when it was obvious they did not know what it means.
04-10-2014, 02:12 PM
(04-10-2014 02:10 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 02:06 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Right.....cause you and only you are the keeper of the proper definition for special pleading.....

Yay!!!

The thread was necessary because to many people were simply spouting "special pleading" when it was obvious they did not know what it means.

So, you move the goal-posts around until you are satisfied? Good to know...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

04-10-2014, 02:18 PM
(04-10-2014 02:12 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 02:10 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  The thread was necessary because to many people were simply spouting "special pleading" when it was obvious they did not know what it means.

So, you move the goal-posts around until you are satisfied? Good to know...

I said the same exact thing in ohhhh......post number 3 of this thread. I have to keep repeating myself because so many of you atheists types don't bother to see the world as it is and instead opt to pretend reality is what you want it to be. So many of you want this thread to be a God debate....sorry to break your fantasy but it is a special pleading debate. Always has been....Always will be.
04-10-2014, 02:28 PM
(04-10-2014 02:08 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 02:01 PM)xieulong Wrote:  You did say this:

Negative xieulong,

An exception would be given if God came into being but did not require a cause. God by most definitions is eternal.

Negative Heywood,

The definition that such god as an eternal being IS the exception that you are making. Your example is still special pleading. I can define the god "Pot" as an eternal being as well, and that would also be special pleading. So please...
04-10-2014, 02:46 PM
(04-10-2014 02:18 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 02:12 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  So, you move the goal-posts around until you are satisfied? Good to know...

I said the same exact thing in ohhhh......post number 3 of this thread. I have to keep repeating myself because so many of you atheists types don't bother to see the world as it is and instead opt to pretend reality is what you want it to be. So many of you want this thread to be a God debate....sorry to break your fantasy but it is a special pleading debate. Always has been....Always will be.

Everything you have ever argued on this forum is a god debate. Always has been....always will be. Your argument has always been special pleading, regardless of what this thread is about. No matter what you'd like reality to be, you've been shown to be wrong time and time again, yet you continue to bring the same sad points to the table. Sorry to break your fantasy but it's time to own up to the fact that nothing you present as evidence for a supreme creator makes sense in the light of logic and reality.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
04-10-2014, 04:25 PM
(04-10-2014 02:46 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 02:18 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I said the same exact thing in ohhhh......post number 3 of this thread. I have to keep repeating myself because so many of you atheists types don't bother to see the world as it is and instead opt to pretend reality is what you want it to be. So many of you want this thread to be a God debate....sorry to break your fantasy but it is a special pleading debate. Always has been....Always will be.

Everything you have ever argued on this forum is a god debate. Always has been....always will be. Your argument has always been special pleading, regardless of what this thread is about. No matter what you'd like reality to be, you've been shown to be wrong time and time again, yet you continue to bring the same sad points to the table. Sorry to break your fantasy but it's time to own up to the fact that nothing you present as evidence for a supreme creator makes sense in the light of logic and reality.

Tedious huh??

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
04-10-2014, 04:33 PM
(04-10-2014 04:25 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 02:46 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Everything you have ever argued on this forum is a god debate. Always has been....always will be. Your argument has always been special pleading, regardless of what this thread is about. No matter what you'd like reality to be, you've been shown to be wrong time and time again, yet you continue to bring the same sad points to the table. Sorry to break your fantasy but it's time to own up to the fact that nothing you present as evidence for a supreme creator makes sense in the light of logic and reality.

Tedious huh??

Very. But he's an atheist under it all. Sometimes you're the last person to see the obvious about yourself. Blowme has potential, and great potty humor.

He'll come around one of these years, I have faith. Angel

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco