About suicide and death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2016, 03:51 PM
RE: About suicide and death
Apparently Sarah Silverman nearly died from epiglottitis last week. I read a quote from her today which captures my thoughts on the matter much better than I could express. (paraphrased)

"I had the paralyzing realization that nothing matters. Luckily that was followed by the motivating revelation that nothing matters."

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
07-07-2016, 05:27 PM
(07-07-2016 03:51 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Apparently Sarah Silverman nearly died from epiglottitis last week. I read a quote from her today which captures my thoughts on the matter much better than I could express. (paraphrased)

"I had the paralyzing realization that nothing matters. Luckily that was followed by the motivating revelation that nothing matters."

I just love that woman. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
08-07-2016, 12:50 AM
I've read that quote so many times now, and I just discovered it!

Sarah Silverman speaks so much truth. I true suffer from depression because I'm a functioning addict. I've become so disconnect, I feel nothing matters and realized that already from consistent drug use, BUT her quote has given me a different perspective

Nothing matters, in the end, but it's you who chooses to see that in any color of tint shade glasses that you choose
[+] 2 users Like Sarahjames's post
08-07-2016, 12:53 AM
I keep rereading that quote from Sarah Silverman because it's so true and really speaks to me at this point. I have already discovered that nothing matters because I cannot beat my drug addiction, but now I see it from a different perspective like Sarah! You can use it to motivate you!
[+] 2 users Like Sarahjames's post
08-07-2016, 09:21 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2016 09:26 PM by GirlyMan.)
(08-07-2016 12:53 AM)Sarahjames Wrote:  I keep rereading that quote from Sarah Silverman because it's so true and really speaks to me at this point. I have already discovered that nothing matters because I cannot beat my drug addiction, but now I see it from a different perspective like Sarah! You can use it to motivate you!

Hang in there Sarahjames. There are more than a few of us here who know a thing or two about belaying the abyss.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-07-2016, 08:14 PM
do u want me to read it before I pitch my bit on suicide death and life?
10-07-2016, 08:16 PM
(10-07-2016 08:14 PM)AsIseephit Wrote:  do u want me to read it before I pitch my bit on suicide death and life?

Take your crap elsewhere, this section is a protected and highly moderated part of the forum.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-07-2016, 01:39 AM
hi Leela,

Thanks for your thoughtful and IMHO true post on a very difficult subject.

I have never understood why some people say that a suicide is a 'selfish' act. Sadly, I have known two young people who committed suicide. They were both good and kind people, but had levels of suffering that we can only guess at. Neither showed any signs of 'selfishness' as far as I could see. Both were in the care of mental health services.

Someone once said to me "God will never send us more suffering than we can bear." Not true.

D.
14-07-2016, 04:49 PM
(12-07-2016 01:39 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Thanks for your thoughtful and IMHO true post on a very difficult subject.
You're welcome.

(12-07-2016 01:39 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  I have never understood why some people say that a suicide is a 'selfish' act.
I do think it is a selfish act, but I also don't think that selfishness is a bad thing in general. It is often being used in such a negative way but people need to be selfish to a certain degree. It's normal in healthy.

(12-07-2016 01:39 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Sadly, I have known two young people who committed suicide. They were both good and kind people, but had levels of suffering that we can only guess at. Neither showed any signs of 'selfishness' as far as I could see. Both were in the care of mental health services.
I had a boyfriend once who had shown me a huge scar of his suicide attempt. He told me the whole story on how he did it, how he was found, how everybody wanted to fix him. All he wanted was to exit life and he felt cheated out of his right to decide for himself. He was not a depressed person. He simply didn't want to be alive any more and, after him being brought back, this mirrored into his live of course.

(12-07-2016 01:39 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Someone once said to me "God will never send us more suffering than we can bear." Not true.
I don't know if you are religious or not. But that phrase is a phrase and nothing else. People say it so they can feel better about themselves; they might even believe it themselves, which makes it even sadder in my opinion.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
14-07-2016, 06:32 PM
(07-07-2016 05:50 AM)Leela Wrote:  
(06-07-2016 08:48 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Suicide. A permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Not always though.
As I said in the OP there are tons of reasons that aren't temporary and someone might want to end their life because of it. And that is absolutely acceptable to me. It is also why I said as a good friend or family, you need to make sure to care enough to question this decision without trying to stop them.

@GenisisNemesis: I agree. Also the "Suicide is selfish" fits there as well.

I nursed my mother through a decade of MS watching her in agony everyday. When it was over I contemplated suicide. Literally standing on a rail bridge. I decided not to. I am glad I did as I went on to have many great experiences.

I am all for assisted death due to illness. I think healthy people killing themselves is a waste. Things can improve. They can also get worse. Hell, I used to live in a Brotherhood bin where people donated clothing.

I came through it. I've had people try to rape me, my mother try to kill me and too many other issues to discuss here. I've even had a close call with a great white shark and been charged by a wild pig when I was 12. (shot it between the eyes at 3 meters)

So I understand.

However it has wider ramifications. It affects others. I have not spoken about it here, but Erik's death recently on this forum nearly killed me. I was kept under close watch in isolation at hospital for 8 days suffering 3 serious viruses. One of which I must take a pill everyday for the rest of my life. Every time remembering my friend.

Suicide is not about a single individual. Sorry about my earlier flippant response.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.