About suicide and death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2016, 06:42 PM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2016 06:47 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: About suicide and death
(14-07-2016 04:49 PM)Leela Wrote:  I do think it is a selfish act, ...

I don't think it is a selfish act. I think it is the surrender of the self.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-07-2016, 12:42 AM
(12-07-2016 01:39 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  I have never understood why some people say that a suicide is a 'selfish' act.

I understand but I disagree. I would even claim that sometimes people uttering such words are selfish ones - saying "why he did that to us" doesn't make one look altruistic after all.

In the end I think one have right to end one life whenever one desires. Others may feel it's bad decision, but their opinion matters not as it's not their life at stake.

(12-07-2016 01:39 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Someone once said to me "God will never send us more suffering than we can bear." Not true.

It's idiotic, even apart from space wizard not existing. Not everyone can bear suffering in his life and sometimes it can be better to die than endure.

In regard to suffering and overall life experience I agree with Shalamov There is a much that a man should not see, should not know, and if he should see it, it is better for him to die.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
15-07-2016, 03:26 AM
Banjo: I understand what you are saying. But you see, you made the decisions, right? It was your call to stand on the rail bridge, and it was your call to also step down from it. The fact that you are happy to not have done it is wonderful and I am happy for you. But it has, in every step of your process, been your call. What I am calling out is the fact that people don't have the right to make that call. Sick or not sick, it should always be the individual's decision. There are things that have nothing to do with your health, that might still take away your will to live and you should have the freedom to decide if you do or do not go on.

GirlyMan: Can you explain?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
15-07-2016, 03:48 AM
At work.

Hug
15-07-2016, 05:38 AM
(15-07-2016 03:26 AM)Leela Wrote:  Sick or not sick, it should always be the individual's decision.

I agree.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
15-07-2016, 08:12 PM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2016 06:18 PM by GirlyMan.)
(15-07-2016 03:26 AM)Leela Wrote:  GirlyMan: Can you explain?

This is the closest I can come.

oh and this dude.

and this dude.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
16-07-2016, 06:17 PM
(15-07-2016 05:38 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(15-07-2016 03:26 AM)Leela Wrote:  Sick or not sick, it should always be the individual's decision.

I agree.

It's the only truly inalienable right I can think of.

[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post