About that new job.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2017, 11:41 AM
About that new job.
Idk if I can really handle that job anymore. I can barely walk because of the pain in my feet everyday and it's just really something I don't think I can continue doing. I am so unhappy and I don't think it is worth it to torture myself like this for it. Anyone have any advice.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-05-2017, 11:50 AM
RE: About that new job.
What is your new job? I'm sure you might have mentioned it on here, but I was on a brief hiatus and think I missed it? How long have you been doing it?

Depending on what it is, I think sometimes it takes time to acclimate to things physically. I remember my first job at a local boutique. I had to be on my feet constantly and my feet hurt like crazy at the end of the day. But over time, my body got used to it and my feet no longer hurt.

Maybe also investing in a good pair of shoes with extra support with those gel insert things would help? Giving myself a good foot massage and a hot bath at the end of my shift also helped me. I'm sorry the job is giving you some pain *hugs*
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
18-05-2017, 11:54 AM
(18-05-2017 11:50 AM)jennybee Wrote:  What is your new job? I'm sure you might have mentioned it on here, but I was on a brief hiatus and think I missed it? How long have you been doing it?

Depending on what it is, I think sometimes it takes time to acclimate to things physically. I remember my first job at a local boutique. I had to be on my feet constantly and my feet hurt like crazy at the end of the day. But over time, my body got used to it and my feet no longer hurt.

Maybe also investing in a good pair of shoes with extra support with those gel insert things would help? Giving yourself a good foot massage and a hot bath at the end of my shift also helped me. I'm sorry the job is giving you some pain *hugs*

Facility Service Associate. We pretty much do everything to make the store stay clean and working. We clean bathrooms, trim trees, repair machines etc.

2 weeks I have been doing it and it's not just the pain, it's the work I am just not happy doing.

I have tried all of those things and nothing helps, when I get home I can barely walk, I have to limp and walk very slowly.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
18-05-2017, 12:03 PM
(18-05-2017 11:54 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(18-05-2017 11:50 AM)jennybee Wrote:  What is your new job? I'm sure you might have mentioned it on here, but I was on a brief hiatus and think I missed it? How long have you been doing it?

Maybe also investing in a good pair of shoes with extra support with those gel insert things would help? Giving yourself a good foot massage and a hot bath at the end of my shift also helped me. I'm sorry the job is giving you some pain *hugs*

Facility Service Associate. We pretty much do everything to make the store stay clean and working. We clean bathrooms, trim trees, repair machines etc.

2 weeks I have been doing it and it's not just the pain, it's the work I am just not happy doing.

I have tried all of those things and nothing helps, when I get home I can barely walk, I have to limp and walk very slowly.

It sounds like a highly physical job...and obviously, that's not for everybody. One suggestion (if you didn't want to quit right away), would be to give it X amount of time to see if the situation improves and if it doesn't by your cut off date, then give your notice. You could also ask to go part-time, if they allow that, and then maybe once you build up to things physically, you could increase your hours.
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
18-05-2017, 12:11 PM
(18-05-2017 12:03 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(18-05-2017 11:54 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Facility Service Associate. We pretty much do everything to make the store stay clean and working. We clean bathrooms, trim trees, repair machines etc.

It sounds like a highly physical job...and obviously, that's not for everybody. One suggestion (if you didn't want to quit right away), would be to give it X amount of time to see if the situation improves and if it doesn't by your cut off date, then give your notice. You could also ask to go part-time, if they allow that, and then maybe once you build up to things physically, you could increase your hours.

It is part time but they have been making me work so much.

18-05-2017, 12:18 PM
I'm sorry you're having a hard time; I remember how excited you were about this job. It could be taking time for your body to adjust. I know that when I first started working full-time I was surprised by how exhausted I was by the end of the day. If it's just been a couple of weeks, maybe try giving it another month and then see if you can apply inside the company for a different, less physical position? Then you won't have quitting the job on your resume, and perhaps, as an employee, you'll be given preference. Also you'll have seen what the other jobs are like, so you'll know what you're getting into.

Also, maybe try getting checked out by your doctor to make sure there's nothing else wrong?
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
18-05-2017, 12:18 PM
(18-05-2017 12:11 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(18-05-2017 12:03 PM)jennybee Wrote:  It sounds like a highly physical job...and obviously, that's not for everybody. One suggestion (if you didn't want to quit right away), would be to give it X amount of time to see if the situation improves and if it doesn't by your cut off date, then give your notice. You could also ask to go part-time, if they allow that, and then maybe once you build up to things physically, you could increase your hours.

It is part time but they have been making me work so much.

If it was me and I could physically swing it, I'd give it another month or two, pace myself at work as best as I could, and rest like crazy on my off days, and see if things improve. Then, if they didn't, I'd look for something that better suited me.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
18-05-2017, 12:23 PM
(18-05-2017 12:18 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(18-05-2017 12:11 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  It is part time but they have been making me work so much.

If it was me and I could physically swing it, I'd give it another month or two, pace myself at work as best as I could, and rest like crazy on my off days, and see if things improve. Then, if they didn't, I'd look for something that better suited me.

I can't really pace myself because I am working under someone who gives me directions.

18-05-2017, 12:24 PM
(18-05-2017 12:11 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  It is part time but they have been making me work so much.

How much is so much? Depending on where you live you may not legally be part time. They might just be treating you as part time to get out of paying you fringe benefits.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
18-05-2017, 12:33 PM (This post was last modified: 18-05-2017 12:43 PM by kim.)
Two weeks is very much into what I refer to as, "weed out time".

While your body is adjusting, concentrate on the fact that you are acquiring a variety of new experiences. These will smooth out over time, become routine, and you will find a groove - a pattern you will recognize and be better capable of handling, at any given moment.

It will get better if you give it time.

It is a good idea to do this type of greuling work while fairly young - 20s & early 30s. Currently you are attaining a higher degree of physical fitness and your body is working toward homeostasis. This is what is meant by, no pain, no gain..

What ever way you go, I would urge you to stick with it for one year before quitting. If nothing else, you will be able to say, "I did that." Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post