About that new job.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2017, 12:39 PM
RE: About that new job.
(18-05-2017 12:24 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(18-05-2017 12:11 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  It is part time but they have been making me work so much.

How much is so much? Depending on where you live you may not legally be part time. They might just be treating you as part time to get out of paying you fringe benefits.

They only hired me for weekends but last week I only got 1 day off and this week 2 days off.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-05-2017, 12:41 PM
About that new job.
I've had many jobs that I hated over the years. Some of them were very physically laborious and others just sucked. I quit a couple of jobs right away because they were so bad. The problem with that was every employer after that wanted details on why I left. They frown on gaps in your employment.

It didn't take me long to figure out that before I quit a job I had to have another one lined up first.

My advice is to stick it out until you can find something else. It's easier to find a job when you already have a job.

Good luck.
[+] 5 users Like KUSA's post
18-05-2017, 12:49 PM (This post was last modified: 18-05-2017 12:53 PM by jennybee.)
(18-05-2017 12:39 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(18-05-2017 12:24 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  How much is so much? Depending on where you live you may not legally be part time. They might just be treating you as part time to get out of paying you fringe benefits.

They only hired me for weekends but last week I only got 1 day off and this week 2 days off.

But is that just because they are training you or is this going to be an ongoing thing? If their intent is for it to be an ongoing thing, you can remind them that you took this job with the idea that it was only going to be weekends. Then see if they are open to putting it back to their original plan of your only working weekends.

If they aren't and you decide to leave--I think a reasonable explanation on any future job applications as to reasons for leaving could simply be that the employer decided to make the job full-time when you were only interested in working weekends. It's an understandable reason (to future employers) for leaving past employment.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
18-05-2017, 12:49 PM
(18-05-2017 12:39 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(18-05-2017 12:24 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  How much is so much? Depending on where you live you may not legally be part time. They might just be treating you as part time to get out of paying you fringe benefits.

What state?

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
18-05-2017, 12:51 PM
Dang jdog.

I'm sorry. Can you hold them the weekends only thing?

Talk to the person who hired you.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-05-2017, 12:56 PM
(18-05-2017 12:49 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(18-05-2017 12:39 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  They only hired me for weekends but last week I only got 1 day off and this week 2 days off.

But is that just because they are training you or is this going to be an ongoing thing? If their intent is for it to be an ongoing thing, you can remind them that you took this job with the idea that it was only going to be weekends. Then see if they are open to putting it back to their original plan of your only working weekends.

If they aren't and you decide to leave--I think a reasonable explanation on any future job applications as to reasons for leaving could simply be that the employer decided to make the job full-time when you were only interested in working weekends. It's an understandable reason (to future employers) for leaving past employment.

I think it may be both, for training and to help the only other guy who works this position.

(18-05-2017 12:49 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(18-05-2017 12:39 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  They only hired me for weekends but last week I only got 1 day off and this week 2 days off.

What state?

Michigan

(18-05-2017 12:51 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Dang jdog.

I'm sorry. Can you hold them the weekends only thing?

Talk to the person who hired you.

I'll see what I can do.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
18-05-2017, 12:57 PM
And now, to help us all with a little healthy commiserating...
Let's take in the wisdom of Morrissey ...

I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour
But heaven knows I'm miserable now

I was looking for a job, and then I found a job
And heaven knows I'm miserable now

In my life
Why do I give valuable time
To people who don't care if I live or die?

Two lovers entwined pass me by

I was looking for a job, and then I found a job

In my life
Oh, why do I give valuable time
To people who don't care if I live or die?

What she asked of me at the end of the day
Caligula would have blushed

"Oh, you've been in the house too long" she said
And I naturally fled

In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye ?

I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour
But heaven knows I'm miserable now

"You've been in the house too long" she said
And I (naturally) fled

In my life
Why do I give valuable time
To people who don't care if I live or die ?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
18-05-2017, 01:06 PM
(18-05-2017 12:56 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Michigan

That's not good. From what I can find Michigan doesn't have a law that specifies part time versus full time. It looks like they require companies to have a written policy defining part time though so you might ask them what that policy is.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
18-05-2017, 01:21 PM
(18-05-2017 01:06 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(18-05-2017 12:56 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Michigan

That's not good. From what I can find Michigan doesn't have a law that specifies part time versus full time. It looks like they require companies to have a written policy defining part time though so you might ask them what that policy is.

I agree - get them to completely define this job and each of it's requirements and timeframes.

BTW, if this job is defined as a "Part Time Position" then, ask them what hours constitute "part time". Is it 20 hours a week or is it 4 hours a day? How are they figuring it?

If they say part time is 25 hrs a week ... you may be entitled to overtime pay if you worked more than that. Get it confirmed.

KEEP TRACK OF YOUR HOURS! No matter what. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
18-05-2017, 01:26 PM
(18-05-2017 01:21 PM)kim Wrote:  
(18-05-2017 01:06 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  That's not good. From what I can find Michigan doesn't have a law that specifies part time versus full time. It looks like they require companies to have a written policy defining part time though so you might ask them what that policy is.

I agree - get them to completely define this job and each of it's requirements and timeframes.

BTW, if this job is defined as a "Part Time Position" then, ask them what hours constitute "part time". Is it 20 hours a week or is it 4 hours a day? How are they figuring it?

If they say part time is 25 hrs a week ... you may be entitled to overtime pay if you worked more than that. Get it confirmed.

KEEP TRACK OF YOUR HOURS! No matter what. Thumbsup

All my hours and punch times are online so keeping track isn't hard.

[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post