About that new job.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2017, 01:35 PM
RE: About that new job.
The thing is if they are working you more than what they have defined as part time and you bring it to their attention they might cut your hours back to something you can better deal with.

The bad news is they might fire you and find someone else who will take their shit.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
18-05-2017, 04:50 PM
(18-05-2017 01:21 PM)kim Wrote:  
(18-05-2017 01:06 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  That's not good. From what I can find Michigan doesn't have a law that specifies part time versus full time. It looks like they require companies to have a written policy defining part time though so you might ask them what that policy is.

I agree - get them to completely define this job and each of it's requirements and timeframes.

BTW, if this job is defined as a "Part Time Position" then, ask them what hours constitute "part time". Is it 20 hours a week or is it 4 hours a day? How are they figuring it?

If they say part time is 25 hrs a week ... you may be entitled to overtime pay if you worked more than that. Get it confirmed.

KEEP TRACK OF YOUR HOURS! No matter what. Thumbsup

Just like the FLSA, the Michigan overtime law requires that non-exempt employees receive overtime pay equal to 1.5 x their regular hourly pay for any hours worked over 40 in a week (overtime).
Michigan Wage and Overtime Law - Maduff & Maduff, LLC.

Most states do not pay overtime until you have worked over 40 hours during a week long pay period. I have done payroll in, and for, a lot of different states and I have never seen overtime paid until a person has over 40 hours.

The biggest thing I can think of is the ability to get benefits or earn vacation if considered a part time employee. Full time in some places for the purpose of eligibility for benefits is 35 hours but that still doesn't have any bearing on time and a half pay.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
18-05-2017, 05:11 PM
Some things .. just my two cents:

I would give any job (no matter how demanding it is) at least one whole month trial time. Because you are adjusting. You may be in pain at the moment because certain muscles and areas of your body are not used to the work you do. But within a month, things can get much better and at that point you will find it easier and more bearable. And if not, at least you gave it a fair chance.

The other thing is the work conditions itself. You are hired part time for weekends. Did you sign that on a contract? Because if yes, you can probably talk to them and refer to that part of your contract. You can offer them to start on a full time position as they are keeping you on a full-time schedule anyway, but if that is not possible, you will be available on weekends only.

Also if you really want to leave that job, make sure you have another job lined up first. Make sure you are not falling into a bankruptcy hole over being impatient with your situation.

I hope for you that it will get better though. Often these physically demanding jobs are a bitch but not actually bad once the body gets used to them.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 3 users Like Leerob's post
18-05-2017, 05:20 PM
About that new job.
I think you can pull through this JDog.
[+] 4 users Like KUSA's post
18-05-2017, 05:29 PM
JDogg,
You haven't worked in a while and this is going to be an adjustment. They may be working you during the week because the people best able to train you are there then.

Give it some time. It's a big switch from what you have been doing. Investing in good boots or shoes is a great idea. Walking on concrete can be hard on you so good footwear is worth the investment.

I really think you can do this. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
18-05-2017, 07:08 PM
You're getting really good advice here, JDog. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
18-05-2017, 09:23 PM
Life is a bitch, and then you die. Big Grin I sympathize with your foot pain and tiredness, believe me. But you are going to have to suck it up and get used to it, which you will. If you haven't spent a lifetime on your feet, you'll get over the pain. Good shoes and supports for you soles are going to be extremely important for you. I'm 64 years old and have all kinds of pain from a lifetime of hard work. I'm currently up for surgery on both wrists due to carpal tunnel syndrome from all the work I've put my hands to. I currently have a hard time opening up a jelly jar, that's how bad it is. I used to be able to lift two 15 pound concrete blocks in each hand, just by pinching them together, thumb in one block, and fingers in the other. I can now only carry one, using both hands, and I have to wear wrist braces, to boot. Buck up! You'll get used to it. Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
18-05-2017, 10:43 PM (This post was last modified: 18-05-2017 11:08 PM by kim.)
(18-05-2017 04:50 PM)Anjele Wrote:  ---
Most states do not pay overtime until you have worked over 40 hours during a week long pay period. I have done payroll in, and for, a lot of different states and I have never seen overtime paid until a person has over 40 hours.

The biggest thing I can think of is the ability to get benefits or earn vacation if considered a part time employee. Full time in some places for the purpose of eligibility for benefits is 35 hours but that still doesn't have any bearing on time and a half pay.

Depends on the company and if there is a union involved.
My company has many hourly, "part time" jobs and if an hourly person goes over their designated hours, they do get overtime.

There are some jobs that are designated to be five hours a day so, twenty five hours a week is guaranteed - go over that and it is overtime. And of course, holidays are double time. Also, all our part time workers all get full benefits.
It's all in our contract.
Nice, huh? Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
19-05-2017, 01:49 AM
You have not been working for a long time. Your body needs to get used to not sitting or lying down all day. It is only healthy for you that you have a job that keeps you moving around. As the others say, get some good shoes that are made for it.
You will live a lot longer by having a job that keeps you active. Your body will get used to it. I can attest to that too.
It is hard to find jobs these days, so don't quit until you have another job lined up. That is important! Quitting will only make finding a new job even harder, as the others have said.

To be honest, I also think that it is good that you get to work more than weekends. You need a proper income so you can afford your own place to live and all the expenses of daily life. You can't live on a weekends only income.

The psychological part of it is also hard on you I imagine. It's not easy to suddenly have to deal with meeting people every day, especially for someone a bit shy. But that is also good for you. It will get your confidence and ability to be social up. People tend to be nice and friendly once you meet them Smile

It is hard work to be a grown up. With time you will get used to it and learn from it. You will even end up enjoying it and being happy you powered through. You can't spend your life not working and you are not going to find an easy job where you don't have to work hard for your wages, they don't exist.

You can do it darling, I know you can!

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
19-05-2017, 11:45 AM
It will be better when I can finally learn how to use this
[Image: Tennant%20T7-2.jpg]

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 5 users Like JDog554's post