About the Testimonium Flavium

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
05-06-2016, 08:21 AM
RE: About the Testimonium Flavium
Typical exchange with Tomasia...ignore the actual questions posed, spout off as though smarter than everyone else, throw a hissy fit, move on to pollute another thread. Wash, rinse, repeat.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
05-06-2016, 08:26 AM
(04-06-2016 09:02 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Philo of Alexandria 20 BCE to 40 CE
The early years of the Roman Republic is one of the most historically documented times in history. One of the writers alive during the time of Jesus was Philo-Judaeus (sometimes known as Philo of Alexandria).

Philo was born before the beginning of the Christian era, and lived until long after the reputed death of Christ. He wrote an account of the Jews covering the entire time that Christ is said to have existed on earth. He was living in or near Jerusalem when Christ’s miraculous birth and the Herodian massacre occurred. He was there when Christ made his triumphal entry into Jerusalem. He was there when the crucifixion happened with its attendant earthquake, supernatural darkness and resurrection of the dead took place – when Christ himself rose from the dead and in the presence of many witnesses ascended into heaven.

How many times are you guys going to make shit up whole cloth, lol. Everything we know about Philo is from Philo himself, and a brief paragraph in Josephus. None of which supports your above assertions. Philo lived few hundred miles from Jerusalem, and only writes of having visited Jerusalem once.

He not only doesn't mention Jesus, but pretty much doesn't mention any 1st century messiah claimant, besides ones that appeared in his geographical location. From what I remember it was just one claimant.

You have no support for your claim that Philo was in Jerusalem during the period of Jesus ministry and death. You likely read that on some other website, accepted it as true, but didn't bother checking the sources. Because the writing of Philo don't support your claims that he was in Jerusalem at the time.

Quote:He was there on location during the early first century, talking with people who should have remembered or at least heard the stories, observed, taking notes, documenting.

Another lie, you likely heard from someone else, but not true.

Prove me wrong, cite the passages of Philo that support you claim that he was in Jerusalem during the short few yeas of Jesus ministry and death, that apparently no one else but you have read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
05-06-2016, 08:28 AM
(05-06-2016 08:26 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  How many times are you guys going to make shit up whole cloth, lol. Everything we know about Philo is from Philo himself, and a brief paragraph in Josephus. None of which supports your above assertions. Philo lived few hundred miles from Jerusalem, and only writes of having visited Jerusalem once.

He not only doesn't mention Jesus, but pretty much doesn't mention any 1st century messiah claimant, besides ones that appeared in his geographical location. From what I remember it was just one claimant.

You have no support for your claim that Philo was in Jerusalem during the period of Jesus ministry and death. You likely read that on some other website, accepted it as true, but didn't bother checking the sources. Because the writing of Philo don't support your claims that he was in Jerusalem at the time.

Quote:He was there on location during the early first century, talking with people who should have remembered or at least heard the stories, observed, taking notes, documenting.

Prove me wrong, cite the passages of Philo that support you claim that he was in Jerusalem during the short few yeas of Jesus ministry and death, that apparently no one else but you have read.

Wow the irony is so thick you need a machete to get through.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
05-06-2016, 08:42 AM
(04-06-2016 06:12 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Why? Because we don't agree with you? If you actually bothered to read what many of us have written, you may realize that there is a point to be made.

If it was relevant to the points I've made I addressed them. But when half the time you folks peddle false claims, such as Bucky claiming Philo frequently visited Jerusalem, and then when called out on this, attempts to reframe it all as having correspondence with family, the dishonest motivations start to take shape.

Quote:I have a feeling that you would accuse a group of people with evidence to support a claim of groupthink instead of pondering the argument. Have you ever even considered that you might be wrong?

No groupthink tends to appear less often here when engaging a person one on one, and more often when a sort of herd appears often in defense of another poster who seems to be under attack. The dialogue becomes less reflective, and more defensive and protective. It's tendency for individuals to give credence to very bad arguments, for the sake of preserving group morale.

Many of you are friends, feel a considerable degree of empathy of each other, and will come to each other defense if need be, so groupthink is to be expected.

It's also seems unlikely that those engaging in groupthink, recognize this tendency when engaging in it.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
05-06-2016, 08:48 AM
(05-06-2016 08:42 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-06-2016 06:12 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Why? Because we don't agree with you? If you actually bothered to read what many of us have written, you may realize that there is a point to be made.

If it was relevant to the points I've made I addressed them. But when half the time you folks peddle false claims, such as Bucky claiming Philo frequently visited Jerusalem, and then when called out on this, attempts to reframe it all as having correspondence with family, the dishonest motivations start to take shape.

Quote:I have a feeling that you would accuse a group of people with evidence to support a claim of groupthink instead of pondering the argument. Have you ever even considered that you might be wrong?

No groupthink tends to appear less often here when engaging a person one on one, and more often when a sort of herd appears often in defense of another poster who seems to be under attack. The dialogue becomes less reflective, and more defensive and protective. It's tendency for individuals to give credence to very bad arguments, for the sake of preserving group morale.

Many of you are friends, feel a considerable degree of empathy of each other, and will come to each other defense if need be, so groupthink is to be expected.

It's also seems unlikely that those engaging in groupthink, recognize this tendency when engaging in it.

What is your excuse for your outbursts of anger, name-calling, and quite un-Christian behavior?

- You are dodging the topic again, but since you are the one doing it you probably don't see it.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
05-06-2016, 08:54 AM
(05-06-2016 08:28 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 08:26 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  How many times are you guys going to make shit up whole cloth, lol. Everything we know about Philo is from Philo himself, and a brief paragraph in Josephus. None of which supports your above assertions. Philo lived few hundred miles from Jerusalem, and only writes of having visited Jerusalem once.

Wow the irony is so thick you need a machete to get through.

Either the writing of Philo are supportive of the claim that he was in Jerusalem at the time of Jesus ministry and death, or they're not.

They're not, because Philo only writes of visiting Jerusalem once in his lifetime, and nothing supportive of this visit taking place at the same period of Jesus's ministry and death.

So if someone is peddling an elaborate account of how he visited Jerusalem frequently, was there at the time of the crucifixion. Then they would be peddling a lie.

05-06-2016, 09:04 AM
(05-06-2016 08:54 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 08:28 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Wow the irony is so thick you need a machete to get through.

Either the writing of Philo are supportive of the claim that he was in Jerusalem at the time of Jesus ministry and death, or they're not.

They're not, because Philo only writes of visiting Jerusalem once in his lifetime, and nothing supportive of this visit taking place at the same period of Jesus's ministry and death.

So if someone is peddling an elaborate account of how he visited Jerusalem frequently, was there at the time of the crucifixion. Then they would be peddling a lie.

You think that a man who had family in Jerusalem, who visited there after Jesus' death, and who was known as an investigative reporter, would fail to have noted (either from family or colleagues or his one visit) that there was an earthquake, darkness, a rent veil, and a zombie appearance to "many", which no one talked about after the fact, or he just not write it down?

Or is it more likely that the story is the result of myth-building by later Christians?

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
05-06-2016, 09:09 AM
(05-06-2016 08:48 AM)Anjele Wrote:  What is your excuse for your outbursts of anger, name-calling, and quite un-Christian behavior?

Have I name called you, goodwithoutgod, organic chemist, rocket-surgeon, girlyman?

The folks that I reserve name calling, and "angry" outbursts to, I can count on one hand, folks like Bucky and TbD, but that's just a part of our relationship. We call each other ignorant twats, like some couples refer to each other as honey.

Quote:You are dodging the topic again, but since you are the one doing it you probably don't see it.

Currently the topic seems to be Philo, early it was the Jesus/James connection cited by Josephus.

05-06-2016, 09:15 AM
(05-06-2016 09:09 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 08:48 AM)Anjele Wrote:  What is your excuse for your outbursts of anger, name-calling, and quite un-Christian behavior?

Have I name called you, goodwithoutgod, organic chemist, rocket-surgeon, girlyman?

The folks that I reserve name calling, and "angry" outbursts to, I can count on one hand, folks like Bucky and TbD, but that's just a part of our relationship. We call each other ignorant twats, like some couples refer to each other as honey.

Quote:You are dodging the topic again, but since you are the one doing it you probably don't see it.

Currently the topic seems to be Philo, early it was the Jesus/James connection cited by Josephus.

Actually I don't think you have ever responded to me in any fashion. I am surprised at this.

You think that you have a 'relationship' with TBD and Bucky? Interesting...I have to wonder if they feel the same way since a relationship really isn't something that's one-sided.

From what I have read over the months you have been here it seems to me that you are angry often. If you are an angry person that's one thing. If people here bring out that side of you I don't understand why you stay.

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
05-06-2016, 09:31 AM
(05-06-2016 09:15 AM)Anjele Wrote:  You think that you have a 'relationship' with TBD and Bucky? Interesting...I have to wonder if they feel the same way since a relationship really isn't something that's one-sided.

Yes, we have a mutual distaste for each other.

Quote:From what I have read over the months you have been here it seems to me that you are angry often.

I think that assessment would fail to note who it is i'm responding to. If you take out all my replies to folks like Bucky and TbD, it would be hard to accuse me of name calling or being angry.

Quote:If you are an angry person that's one thing. If people here bring out that side of you I don't understand why you stay.

Why not? It's fun to bust some balls from time to time. But as I said I treat everyone here as an individual relationship, I reserve my ire and name calling to parties in which such a relationship has been established by us as the norm.