About the Testimonium Flavium

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
05-06-2016, 09:34 AM
RE: About the Testimonium Flavium
(05-06-2016 09:31 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Yes, we have a mutual distaste for each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? I have tried to be really open to giving you a fair chance in part because of a friend's opinion of you.

It's because I'm white and female, isn't it?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2016, 10:07 AM
About the Testimonium Flavium
(05-06-2016 09:34 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Really? I have tried to be really open to giving you a fair chance in part because of a friend's opinion of you.

That was in regards to TbD and Bucky, not you. You seem nice, I have no issues with you.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
05-06-2016, 10:15 AM
(05-06-2016 10:07 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 09:34 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Really? I have tried to be really open to giving you a fair chance in part because of a friend's opinion of you.

That was in regards to TbD and Bucky, not you. You seem nice, I have no issues with you.

We know dear. It is hard to have your unsupported admitted presuppositions questioned. You SAID you were here to "observe". Apparently you are quite used to lying to yourself, and others. That's NOT what you're doing here.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
05-06-2016, 10:17 AM
(05-06-2016 08:26 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  How many times are you guys going to make shit up whole cloth, lol. Everything we know about Philo is from Philo himself,

http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/philo.html

Totally false. All sorts of things about Philo are known from other sources.
Do keep lying. It's not helping you.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
05-06-2016, 10:18 AM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2016 10:26 AM by goodwithoutgod.)
(05-06-2016 08:26 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-06-2016 09:02 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Philo of Alexandria 20 BCE to 40 CE
The early years of the Roman Republic is one of the most historically documented times in history. One of the writers alive during the time of Jesus was Philo-Judaeus (sometimes known as Philo of Alexandria).

Philo was born before the beginning of the Christian era, and lived until long after the reputed death of Christ. He wrote an account of the Jews covering the entire time that Christ is said to have existed on earth. He was living in or near Jerusalem when Christ’s miraculous birth and the Herodian massacre occurred. He was there when Christ made his triumphal entry into Jerusalem. He was there when the crucifixion happened with its attendant earthquake, supernatural darkness and resurrection of the dead took place – when Christ himself rose from the dead and in the presence of many witnesses ascended into heaven.

How many times are you guys going to make shit up whole cloth, lol. Everything we know about Philo is from Philo himself, and a brief paragraph in Josephus. None of which supports your above assertions. Philo lived few hundred miles from Jerusalem, and only writes of having visited Jerusalem once.

He not only doesn't mention Jesus, but pretty much doesn't mention any 1st century messiah claimant, besides ones that appeared in his geographical location. From what I remember it was just one claimant.

You have no support for your claim that Philo was in Jerusalem during the period of Jesus ministry and death. You likely read that on some other website, accepted it as true, but didn't bother checking the sources. Because the writing of Philo don't support your claims that he was in Jerusalem at the time.

Quote:He was there on location during the early first century, talking with people who should have remembered or at least heard the stories, observed, taking notes, documenting.

Another lie, you likely heard from someone else, but not true.

Prove me wrong, cite the passages of Philo that support you claim that he was in Jerusalem during the short few yeas of Jesus ministry and death, that apparently no one else but you have read.

It is apparent you have never studied the works of Philo. I am too busy today to educate you at length. Philo asserted there were three "centers" of his world; Jerusalem, Greece and Alexandria (Borgen, 1997). Philo is an important source for knowledge in reference to the Jewish Diaspora, Judea, and knowledge of Jerusalem.

Jesus was nailed to a piece of wood 33 CE. Philo led an embassy from the Jews to the court of Emperor Gaius Caligula. The year was 39 CE. Philo clearly was in the area around the time of jesus's execution.

Philo was also in the right place to give testimony of a messianic contender. A Jewish aristocrat and leader of the large Jewish community of Alexandria, we know that Philo spent time in Jerusalem (On Providence) where he had intimate connections with the royal house of Judaea. His brother, Alexander the "alabarch" (chief tax official), was one of the richest men in the east, in charge of collecting levies on imports into Roman Egypt. Alexander's great wealth financed the silver and gold sheathing which adorned the doors of the Temple (Josephus, War 5.205). Alexander also loaned a fortune to Herod Agrippa I (Antiquities 18).

One of Alexander's sons, and Philo's nephews, Marcus, was married to Berenice, daughter of Herod Agrippa, tetrarch of Galilee and Peraea, 39-40. After the exile of Herod Antipas – villain of the Jesus saga – he ruled as King of the Jews, 41-44 AD. Another nephew was the "apostate" Julius Alexander Tiberius, Prefect of Egypt and also Procurator of Judaea itself (46-48 CE).

Much as Josephus would, a half century later, Philo wrote extensive apologetics on the Jewish religion and commentaries on contemporary politics. About thirty manuscripts and at least 850,000 words are extant. Philo offers commentary on all the major characters of the Pentateuch and, as we might expect, mentions Moses more than a thousand times.

Yet Philo says not a word about Jesus, Christianity nor any of the events described in the New Testament. In all this work, Philo makes not a single reference to his alleged contemporary "Jesus Christ", the godman who supposedly was perambulating up and down the Levant, exorcising demons, raising the dead and causing earthquake and darkness at his death.

It would be a complete fallacy to presume that this historian would have somehow not heard of these amazing events. Someone causing such a stir that drew "throngs of people from all over" to hear him speak would surely have been noteworthy. A zombie invasion and the earth going dark would get someone's attention one would think. Something like that happening would have sent shockwaves through the area. Yet Philo is silent. One of my books in my private library is referenced below. Perhaps you should start reading and researching about Philo so you can make an informed assertion. I understand emotion and passion making one open one's mouth as a physical expression of neurological flatulence, but you would earn more credibility if your posits had some substance...perhaps some portion of historical fact to base them on...just a thought. Carry on about how Philo would have not had cause to write of jesus and was never in the area around the time of his magic and subsequent death. Here, I will give you a shovel so you can continue digging the hole for yourself...

Reference:
Borgen, P. (1997). Philo of Alexandria: An Exegete for His Time. New York: Brill.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 5 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
05-06-2016, 10:19 AM
(05-06-2016 10:15 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 10:07 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  That was in regards to TbD and Bucky, not you. You seem nice, I have no issues with you.

We know dear. It is hard to have your unsupported admitted presuppositions questioned. You SAID you were here to "observe". Apparently you are quite used to lying to yourself, and others. That's NOT what you're doing here.

He's said he was here to learn, he's said he was here to observe, he's said he was here to "make people uncomfortable," and probably a few other bullshit lies about his purpose here too. Context is something he doesn't get, and it shows given that what he says and how he says it, betrays him and his preaching.

It's not a matter of "mutual distaste" but a matter of disliking lying and dishonest individuals. Especially those that project their failings onto others. Drinking Beverage

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
05-06-2016, 10:20 AM
(05-06-2016 09:15 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 09:09 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Have I name called you, goodwithoutgod, organic chemist, rocket-surgeon, girlyman?

The folks that I reserve name calling, and "angry" outbursts to, I can count on one hand, folks like Bucky and TbD, but that's just a part of our relationship. We call each other ignorant twats, like some couples refer to each other as honey.

Currently the topic seems to be Philo, early it was the Jesus/James connection cited by Josephus.

Actually I don't think you have ever responded to me in any fashion. I am surprised at this.

What Anj said. You routinely ignore my questions as well. I am not a name caller but you always seem to respond to the name twat but fail to respond to other questions.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
05-06-2016, 11:56 AM
(04-06-2016 12:47 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  [...]I never claimed, implied, or believe science as a systematic enterprises supports the notions of ID and/or creationism. Nor do I subscribe to ID or creationism. People seem to have lost why I drew a comparison between supposed historians who support the Christ Myth hypothesis, and ID/Creationist scientist.

Earlier on you wrote, "I said there are all sorts of scientists who support ID, and creationism" and "in fact here's a list of some of these scientists who support ID..."

Are you suggesting that there are all sorts of scientists who do not belong to the enterprise of science? And can you confirm that—assuming you disbelieve in the notions of ID and creationism—you accept the theory of evolution?

You seem to be hedging your bets here.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
05-06-2016, 01:21 PM
(04-06-2016 05:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-06-2016 03:40 PM)morondog Wrote:  Belief in magic

I hate you stupid canine. Angry

Homo feminus Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
05-06-2016, 01:37 PM
It would be one thing if Philo was Greek or some other nationality. If he were one might not expect him to have much interest in Jewish affairs ....but he wasn't. He was Jewish. He wrote about Jewish history and contemporary issues. I haven't read his entire works but from what I've read this was a man if great curiosity. It's very, very difficult indeed to think this man wouldn't write about Jesus who, according to the bible, was known "far and wide".

It would be similar to a prolific African American writer in mid 1960's America, interested in the politics and black equality, not writing one word about Martin Luther King Jr.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post