About the Testimonium Flavium

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
05-06-2016, 01:42 PM
RE: About the Testimonium Flavium
(05-06-2016 01:37 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  It would be one thing if Philo was Greek or some other nationality. If he were one might not expect him to have much interest in Jewish affairs ....but he wasn't. He was Jewish. He wrote about Jewish history and contemporary issues. I haven't read his entire works but from what I've read this was a man if great curiosity. It's very, very difficult indeed to think this man wouldn't write about Jesus who, according to the bible, was known "far and wide".

It would be similar to a prolific African American writer in mid 1960's America, interested in the politics and black equality, not writing one word about Martin Luther King Jr.

It would be more like them mentioning Malcom X and not MLK.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2016, 03:54 PM
(05-06-2016 08:26 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-06-2016 09:02 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Philo of Alexandria 20 BCE to 40 CE
The early years of the Roman Republic is one of the most historically documented times in history. One of the writers alive during the time of Jesus was Philo-Judaeus (sometimes known as Philo of Alexandria).

Philo was born before the beginning of the Christian era, and lived until long after the reputed death of Christ. He wrote an account of the Jews covering the entire time that Christ is said to have existed on earth. He was living in or near Jerusalem when Christ’s miraculous birth and the Herodian massacre occurred. He was there when Christ made his triumphal entry into Jerusalem. He was there when the crucifixion happened with its attendant earthquake, supernatural darkness and resurrection of the dead took place – when Christ himself rose from the dead and in the presence of many witnesses ascended into heaven.

How many times are you guys going to make shit up whole cloth, lol. Everything we know about Philo is from Philo himself, and a brief paragraph in Josephus. None of which supports your above assertions. Philo lived few hundred miles from Jerusalem, and only writes of having visited Jerusalem once.

He not only doesn't mention Jesus, but pretty much doesn't mention any 1st century messiah claimant, besides ones that appeared in his geographical location. From what I remember it was just one claimant.

You have no support for your claim that Philo was in Jerusalem during the period of Jesus ministry and death. You likely read that on some other website, accepted it as true, but didn't bother checking the sources. Because the writing of Philo don't support your claims that he was in Jerusalem at the time.

Quote:He was there on location during the early first century, talking with people who should have remembered or at least heard the stories, observed, taking notes, documenting.

Another lie, you likely heard from someone else, but not true.

Prove me wrong, cite the passages of Philo that support you claim that he was in Jerusalem during the short few yeas of Jesus ministry and death, that apparently no one else but you have read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me understand. You want us to show you passages where Philo does not mention Jesus, the zombie uprising and the earthquake?

Here you go "......"

How about you actually read Philo Tom?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
05-06-2016, 04:08 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2016 04:16 PM by GirlyMan.)
(05-06-2016 08:42 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  It's also seems unlikely that those engaging in groupthink, recognize this tendency when engaging in it.

You need to look inside your own damn mind. There's so much groupthink in there it's a cacophony of nonsensical Sybils.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-06-2016, 04:14 PM
(05-06-2016 08:42 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  If it was relevant to the points I've made I addressed them. But when half the time you folks peddle false claims, such as Bucky claiming Philo frequently visited Jerusalem, ...

That's very interesting. But it might be time to address the really big more important questions relevant to our times:

Did Frodo actually make it to Mordor or was it all in Sam's head?
Is Gollum really dead? Can Gollum die?
Is Sauron the essence of everything evil, or the essence of everything good?

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-06-2016, 04:47 PM
(05-06-2016 04:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Did Frodo actually make it to Mordor or was it all in Sam's head?

From what we know of history from Cassius Dio, it was a short hairy footed Roman centurion who threw the torch that ignited the curtains that set ablaze the temple.

Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
05-06-2016, 04:53 PM
(05-06-2016 04:47 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 04:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Did Frodo actually make it to Mordor or was it all in Sam's head?

From what we know of history from Cassius Dio, it was a short hairy footed Roman centurion who threw the torch that ignited the curtains that set ablaze the temple.

Big Grin

Yes, but how many times did Bilbo visit Jerusalem?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-06-2016, 04:56 PM
(05-06-2016 04:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 04:47 PM)Banjo Wrote:  From what we know of history from Cassius Dio, it was a short hairy footed Roman centurion who threw the torch that ignited the curtains that set ablaze the temple.

Big Grin

Yes, but how many times did Bilbo visit Jerusalem?

According to Tacitus, just once when he visited a prostitute named Mary. Apparently they had a son or something...

Apparently he stole a ring from her and took off.

Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
05-06-2016, 05:01 PM
(05-06-2016 04:56 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 04:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Yes, but how many times did Bilbo visit Jerusalem?

According to Tacitus, just once when he visited a prostitute named Mary. Apparently they had a son or something...

Didn't he come back into Frodo's life some 30 odd years later and say, "I'm sorry boy. But you gotta die." ?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-06-2016, 05:58 PM
(05-06-2016 05:01 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 04:56 PM)Banjo Wrote:  According to Tacitus, just once when he visited a prostitute named Mary. Apparently they had a son or something...

Didn't he come back into Frodo's life some 30 odd years later and say, "I'm sorry boy. But you gotta die." ?

There is no further evidence of the son. Apparently he was not important enough.

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
05-06-2016, 06:24 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2016 08:20 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(05-06-2016 08:42 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  If it was relevant to the points I've made I addressed them. But when half the time you folks peddle false claims, such as Bucky claiming Philo frequently visited Jerusalem, ...

"Half the time". Show us your data. I made one mistake.
And false claims such as you saying the only thing we know about Philo is from the man himself ? Those kind ? I count two lies right there.
And how about you do an extensive explanation of the qualitative difference between him being there and have family and friends in high places and being related to the power structure.
He knew what was going on, intimately. He said NOTHING about Jesus.

Poor baby. Your work is SO difficult here. Weeping
What are you doing here ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.