About the Testimonium Flavium

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
05-06-2016, 06:40 PM
RE: About the Testimonium Flavium
(05-06-2016 05:58 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 05:01 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Didn't he come back into Frodo's life some 30 odd years later and say, "I'm sorry boy. But you gotta die." ?

There is no further evidence of the son. Apparently he was not important enough.

Ah, one of the Faceless Men. The low men in yellow coats.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-06-2016, 07:00 PM
(05-06-2016 06:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 05:58 PM)Banjo Wrote:  There is no further evidence of the son. Apparently he was not important enough.

Ah, one of the Faceless Men. The low men in yellow coats.

Are you referring to the time the senate discussed dressing all slaves in yellow, but then decided against it for fear the slaves would realize how many they were and rebel?

There is some more information on ancient Rome for you Tom.

You're welcome.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
05-06-2016, 07:51 PM
(05-06-2016 05:01 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 04:56 PM)Banjo Wrote:  According to Tacitus, just once when he visited a prostitute named Mary. Apparently they had a son or something...

Apparently he stole a ring from her and took off.

Didn't he come back into Frodo's life some 30 odd years later and say, "I'm sorry boy. But you gotta die." ?

[Image: 5418553725_96e47c5692.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
05-06-2016, 08:09 PM
(05-06-2016 03:54 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 08:26 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  How many times are you guys going to make shit up whole cloth, lol. Everything we know about Philo is from Philo himself, and a brief paragraph in Josephus. None of which supports your above assertions. Philo lived few hundred miles from Jerusalem, and only writes of having visited Jerusalem once.

He not only doesn't mention Jesus, but pretty much doesn't mention any 1st century messiah claimant, besides ones that appeared in his geographical location. From what I remember it was just one claimant.

You have no support for your claim that Philo was in Jerusalem during the period of Jesus ministry and death. You likely read that on some other website, accepted it as true, but didn't bother checking the sources. Because the writing of Philo don't support your claims that he was in Jerusalem at the time.

Another lie, you likely heard from someone else, but not true.

Prove me wrong, cite the passages of Philo that support you claim that he was in Jerusalem during the short few yeas of Jesus ministry and death, that apparently no one else but you have read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me understand. You want us to show you passages where Philo does not mention Jesus, the zombie uprising and the earthquake?

Here you go "......"

How about you actually read Philo Tom?

Actually, Banjo, I think Tom is challenging the claim that Philo was in Jerusalem either routinely or after the crucifixion. A claim GWG already addressed.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
05-06-2016, 08:34 PM
(05-06-2016 08:09 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 03:54 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Let me understand. You want us to show you passages where Philo does not mention Jesus, the zombie uprising and the earthquake?

Here you go "......"

How about you actually read Philo Tom?

Actually, Banjo, I think Tom is challenging the claim that Philo was in Jerusalem either routinely or after the crucifixion. A claim GWG already addressed.

We know be went once to the temple.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
05-06-2016, 09:03 PM
(05-06-2016 08:34 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 08:09 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Actually, Banjo, I think Tom is challenging the claim that Philo was in Jerusalem either routinely or after the crucifixion. A claim GWG already addressed.

We know be went once to the temple.

Not that I don't think Tom is ignorant or anything but you addressed Philo not mentioning Jesus but that was not what he was arguing. Just pointing that out.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
05-06-2016, 09:35 PM
(05-06-2016 09:03 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 08:34 PM)Banjo Wrote:  We know be went once to the temple.

Not that I don't think Tom is ignorant or anything but you addressed Philo not mentioning Jesus but that was not what he was arguing. Just pointing that out.

Thanks mate. You know my brain. I often get it wrong. Big Grin

Banjo.
06-06-2016, 05:52 AM
(04-06-2016 10:52 PM)Banjo Wrote:  It is also interesting that Philo never mentioned the earthquake or zombies.

I would think it's was more interesting that none of the other Gospel writers beside Matthew, mentioned this.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
06-06-2016, 05:58 AM
(05-06-2016 09:04 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  You think that a man who had family in Jerusalem, who visited there after Jesus' death, and who was known as an investigative reporter, would fail to have noted.

Philo wasn't a historian, but a philosopher. If we want to refer to him as investigate journalist, we might want to label him a local one, concerned with events in Alexandria, and wrote very little in regards to Jerusalem. He not only doesn't mention Jesus, he also doesn't mention any other messiah in that period, particularly in the Jerusalem area.

Quote:(either from family or colleagues or his one visit) that there was an earthquake, darkness, a rent veil, and a zombie appearance to "many", which no one talked about after the fact, or he just not write it down?

I mean you would think the other gospel writers, and not just Matthew would mention these events, more so than Philo, but they didn't.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
06-06-2016, 06:00 AM
(06-06-2016 05:52 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-06-2016 10:52 PM)Banjo Wrote:  It is also interesting that Philo never mentioned the earthquake or zombies.

I would think it's was more interesting that none of the other Gospel writers beside Matthew, mentioned this.

More interesting that it was a made-up supernatural event to go along with a fictious character? Yep, pretty interesting Drinking Beverage

In other interesting news, Gandalf the Grey died so that Middle Earth could be saved and he was reborn Gandalf the White.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post