About the Testimonium Flavium

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
06-06-2016, 11:17 AM
RE: About the Testimonium Flavium
(06-06-2016 11:13 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(06-06-2016 09:58 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Jerome, and others, KNEW about Philo, you dishonest twit. You didn't/don't know ANYTHING about the extensive influence he had on early Christianity and Christian writers.
So then, are we to assume you are going to provide no proof of your claims ?

Lying for Jebus. How special.

Uhh, Jerome lived about 300 years after Philo, so how did he know Philo again, besides from Philo's own writings, and what Josephus stated?

Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2016, 11:21 AM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2016 11:48 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(06-06-2016 11:13 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(06-06-2016 09:58 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Jerome, and others, KNEW about Philo, you dishonest twit. You didn't/don't know ANYTHING about the extensive influence he had on early Christianity and Christian writers.
So then, are we to assume you are going to provide no proof of your claims ?

Lying for Jebus. How special.

Uhh, Jerome lived about 300 years after Philo, so how did he know Philo again, besides from Philo's own writings, and what Josephus stated?

If you had even bothered to read any of the links, incompetent presuppositionalist, you would have found this :

"It is in fact taken over from the short biographical sketch of Philo included by Jerome in his work De viris illustribus (On illustrious men). Augustine always conceded that the monk of Bethlehem was his superior in terms of sheer erudition, and was ever prepared to make good use of the material that he had so assiduously collected together.

Jerome's biographical compendium (briefly mentioned last night by Prof. Signer) was a famous and influential work in its time, and it is worth looking at it more closely. In it he presents thumb-nail sketches of 135 famous men (women are excluded) who achieved prominence in church history up to his own time (rather immodestly the last sketch is of the author himself). All but three of these men were themselves Christians. It is striking that Jerome includes sketches of Philo, the
149 Roman statesman and philosopher Seneca, and the Jewish historian Josephus among all these Christian worthies. Of these three chapters the one on Philo (§11) is the longest. Why is the Jew Philo given such a prominent place in this work?" etc etc etc. .....................

So you didn't read the links, and you attempted purposely to characterize what is/was known about Philo. In fact, he has a large impact on early Christianity from his philosophicl concepts. He had multiple important family members residing in Jerusalem. he never mentioned Jesus. He never mentioned that the temple curtain was torn. He never mentioned the Sanhedrin being called into session on Passover weekend before a crucifixion.

What are you doing here ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
06-06-2016, 12:03 PM
(06-06-2016 11:21 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So you didn't read the links, and you attempted purposely to characterize what is/was known about Philo. In fact, he has a large impact on early Christianity from his philosophicl concepts.

You clearly just makeup arguments, as if when I stated that all we have about Philo is his own writings, and the mention of him in Josephus, implies that there hasn't been 2000 years worth of commentary on his writings, that Philo writing didn't have considerable influence on Christianity, etc..

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
06-06-2016, 12:17 PM
Here is a list with the topics of all of Philo's writings we have. The titles should indicate what Philo's interest were, primarily theological, philosophical, not historical. Devoting only a small portion of his work to mentioning historical happenings:

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/yonge/index.html

On the Creation
Allegorical Interpretation, I
Allegorical Interpretation, II
Allegorical Interpretation, III
On the Cherubim
On the Birth of Abel and the Sacrifices Offered by Him and by His Brother Cain
That the Worse is Wont to Attack the Better
On the Posterity of Cain and His Exile
On the Giants
On the Unchangableness of God
On Husbandry
Concerning Noah's Work as a Planter
On Drunkenness
On the Prayers and Curses Uttered by Noah When He Became Sober
On the Confusion of Tongues
On the Migration of Abraham
Who is the Heir of Divine Things?
On Mating with the Preliminary Studies
On Flight and Finding
On the Change of Names
On Dreams, That They are God-Sent
On Abraham
On Joseph
On the Life of Moses, I
On the Life of Moses, II
The Decalogue
The Special Laws, I
The Special Laws, II
The Special Laws, III
The Special Laws, IV
On the Virtues
On Rewards and Punishments
Every Good Man is Free
On the Contemplative Life or Suppliants
On the Eternity of the World
Flaccus
Hypothetica: Apology for the Jews
On Providence: Fragment I
On Providence: Fragment II
On the Embassy to Gaius: The First Part of the Treatise on Virtues
Questions and Answers on Genesis, I
Questions and Answers on Genesis, II
Questions and Answers on Genesis, III
Appendix 1: Concerning the World
Appendix 2: Fragments

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
06-06-2016, 12:35 PM
(06-06-2016 12:03 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(06-06-2016 11:21 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So you didn't read the links, and you attempted purposely to characterize what is/was known about Philo. In fact, he has a large impact on early Christianity from his philosophicl concepts.

You clearly just makeup arguments, as if when I stated that all we have about Philo is his own writings, and the mention of him in Josephus, implies that there hasn't been 2000 years worth of commentary on his writings, that Philo writing didn't have considerable influence on Christianity, etc..

St. Jerome was the one who "made up" the argument Philo had a great influence on Christian writings. You STILL have not read the links. Interesting you think early Christians are not credible, (that word means "believable" BTW).

The fact that all this is new to you, is more proof that Two Bit Bible College taught you nothing.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
06-06-2016, 12:42 PM
(06-06-2016 12:35 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(06-06-2016 12:03 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  You clearly just makeup arguments, as if when I stated that all we have about Philo is his own writings, and the mention of him in Josephus, implies that there hasn't been 2000 years worth of commentary on his writings, that Philo writing didn't have considerable influence on Christianity, etc..

St. Jerome was the one who "made up" the argument Philo had a great influence on Christian writings. You STILL have not read the links. Interesting you think early Christians are not credible, (that word means "believable" BTW).

The fact that all this is new to you, is more proof that Two Bit Bible College taught you nothing.

No, I looked over the links, I'm not too sure what I'm suppose to do with them, or what relevance they have to anything I've claimed. Or what argument you're trying to make by citing them.

All of it just seems rather irrelevant to any point that I've made.

06-06-2016, 12:53 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2016 01:23 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(06-06-2016 12:42 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(06-06-2016 12:35 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  St. Jerome was the one who "made up" the argument Philo had a great influence on Christian writings. You STILL have not read the links. Interesting you think early Christians are not credible, (that word means "believable" BTW).

No, I looked over the links, I'm not too sure what I'm suppose to do with them, or what relevance they have to anything I've claimed. Or what argument you're trying to make by citing them.

All of it just seems rather irrelevant to any point that I've made.

You did not. If you HAD, you would have seen that Jerome said Philo was important, and wrote a bio of him, (which you denied anyone did).
YOU FAILED to recognize that point as per your usual ignoring things that are inconvenient.

You have also failed even once to link Philo with Carrier's ideas about Philo, which leads me to believe you never once even really read or watched anything by him as you dismiss the entire historicity question as ridiculous. If the entire OT's historicity has pretty much been debunked, there's no reason to call into question the NT. You have already declared you cannot imagine it, and thereby stated you are incapable of looking at any evidence, for or against, objectively.

06-06-2016, 01:43 PM
(06-06-2016 12:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You did not. If you HAD, you would have seen that Jerome said Philo was important, and wrote a bio of him, (which you denied anyone did).

No, I said the only sources we have regards to Philo, are his own writings, and the reference to him in Josephus.

Quote:YOU FAILED to recognize that point as per your usual ignoring things that are inconvenient.

It's not even clear to me what it is you're trying to argue here. That Jerome offers reliable biographical details about Philo, not found in his own writing? Suggesting That Jerome wrote an unreliable pseudo-biography of Philo a few hundred years after his life?

That there's reliable biographical information provided by Jerome, that supports some of the earlier claims made by you and GoodwithoutGood?

Quote:You have also failed even once to link Philo with Carrier's ideas about Philo, which leads me to believe you never once even really read or watched anything by him as you dismiss the entire historicity question as ridiculous.

I've addressed a variety of false claims made about Philo by posters here, including yourself, and the argument from silence.

Quote:You have already declared you cannot imagine it, and thereby stated you are incapable of looking at any evidence, for or against, objectively.

Yet, I'm here pointing a variety of verifiable bullshit, such as Philo being in Jerusalem during the time of Jesus's crucifixion, visiting Jerusalem frequently during his life time. I even posted a link to the relevant writings of Philo, in hopes that those that claim otherwise, could could go in there and site where they derived their fanciful accounts of his travels from.

06-06-2016, 02:23 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2016 03:12 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(06-06-2016 01:43 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  No, I said the only sources we have regards to Philo, are his own writings, and the reference to him in Josephus.

You did not. You said :
Quote:the only thing we know about Philo are from his own writings, and a brief mention of him in Josephus.

That's hardly all we know about him. And we know many things about him from external sources from his writings.

You know nothing about Jerome's writings about Philo. you have not read anything. basically you are pretending you have ... you are a fraud.

Quote:I've addressed a variety of false claims made about Philo by posters here, including yourself, and the argument from silence.

.... in no way answers the question of mine about CARRIER after which you replied. It's an answer to nothing.

06-06-2016, 02:27 PM
(06-06-2016 02:23 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  That's hardly all we know about him. And we know many things about him from external sources from his writings.

We know credible biographical details about Philo from outside his writing and what Josephus wrote about him?

From sources a few hundred years after his life? From Jerome? I still don't know what it you're going on about here.

Quote:.. in no way answers the question of mime about CARRIER after which you replied. It's an answer to nothing.

I don't recall any particularly argument of Carrier's you brought up about Philo that I was supposed to dispute?