About the Testimonium Flavium

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-06-2016, 08:46 AM
RE: About the Testimonium Flavium
(08-06-2016 07:51 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Yes, silly. Almost as silly as believing a 2000 year old middle-easterner rose from the dead and is going to forgive your sins if you telepathically swear eternal fealty....

That could apply to you and your positions as well....

Oh fuck, the irony, the sheer irony.

Other positions, like say ummm..... RELIGION?!?!?!?!

Far as I'm concerned the only thing most people here know about my religious position, is that I'm religious, and that I identify as a Christian, the rest of what they assume my position is seems to primarily be a projection of their own crude fundie evangelism.

But it doesn't matter to me whether people here think my position is silly, or that it's based on the similar allegations I level at those who suggest a mythicist position. Those positions are not what's being discussed here, nor have I advocated for any particular religious views in this thread.

But to say one thing, my religious views allow for a variety of different possibilities, they don't necessary require Jesus to exist, nor do they require a variety of the fanciful stuff said about him to be true, he could have been some kindhearted lunatic, who developed a following, and died at the hands of Romans as a failure, never to be seen again, and developed a following that wrote a variety of Gospels based on him after his humiliating defeat. This non-magical man, his battered body on cross, would still be a God, and savior to me.

I don't expect you or others here to understand why any of this is, since I'm not you, and you're not me. You can throw whatever variety of prejudices you have in my direction, and I'm just likely to brush my shoulders off with it.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2016, 08:55 AM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2016 09:01 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(08-06-2016 08:46 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(08-06-2016 07:51 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Yes, silly. Almost as silly as believing a 2000 year old middle-easterner rose from the dead and is going to forgive your sins if you telepathically swear eternal fealty....

Far as I'm concerned the only thing most people here know about my religious position, is that I'm religious, and that I identify as a Christian, the rest of what they assume my position is seems to primarily be a projection of their own crude fundie evangelism.

But it doesn't matter to me whether people here think my position is silly, or that it's based on the similar allegations I level at those who suggest a mythicist position. Those positions are not what's being discussed here, nor have I advocated for any particular religious views in this thread.

But to say one thing, my religious views allow for a variety of different possibilities, they don't necessary require Jesus to exist, nor do they require a variety of the fanciful stuff said about him to be true, he could have been some kindhearted lunatic, who developed a following, and died at the hands of Romans as a failure, never to be seen again, and developed a following that wrote a variety of Gospels based on him after his humiliating defeat. This non-magical man, his battered body on cross, would still be a God, and savior to me.

I don't expect you or others here to understand why any of this is, since I'm not you, and you're not me. You can throw whatever variety of prejudices you have in my direction, and I'm just likely to brush my shoulders off with it.

Lovely.
This is TTA. An atheist forum. You have proven in the past, multiple times, there actually is a LOT more to it than this. You insult atheists as a group, constantly. No one cares what rolls off your shoulders. The POINT is, with your insane views, what are you doing here, and why would you waste your time at TTA with your self-admitted presuppositional bullshit that you KNOW is not accepted. Unless, maybe you have a persecution complex, and get off on being a martyr for your Jebus. OR, you know it's bullshit, and the person you need to try to make it look rational to, is yourself.

You clearly think you're better than we are, (your "polluted" comment).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
08-06-2016, 09:12 AM
(08-06-2016 08:46 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Actually, I'm simply testing your knowledge. Thus far you are not doing well.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
08-06-2016, 09:24 AM
(08-06-2016 09:12 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Actually, I'm simply testing your knowledge. Thus far you are not doing well.

Yet, I took a part a variety of arguments including yours, in regards to their writing, and like the others you seem to have abandoned that argument after I took it part, pointing why it doesn't make sense. I haven't seen GoodwithoutGod or Rocketsurgeon return after taking apart their arguments of Philo being in Jerusalem at the time of Jesus death.

I don't see you attempting to argue that the passage makes better sense without the mention of James, after my response to it, that demonstrated why it doesn't.

If my knowledge of the relevant passages is not good, then I'll continue to wait for the the follow up arguments. If you or others here have a superior grasp of the relevant passages, I'll await these follow ups for the demonstration of that prowess.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
08-06-2016, 09:31 AM
(08-06-2016 09:24 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(08-06-2016 09:12 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Actually, I'm simply testing your knowledge. Thus far you are not doing well.

Yet, I took a part a variety of arguments including yours, in regards to their writing, and like the others you seem to have abandoned that argument after I took it part, pointing why it doesn't make sense. I haven't seen GoodwithoutGod or Rocketsurgeon return after taking apart their arguments of Philo being in Jerusalem at the time of Jesus death.

Actually I said we know Philo visited Jerusalem once.

GWG is likely bored of you. (Although I would not presume to speak for him.)

On another note; why have you made more than 4000 posts on an atheist website? What is your agenda?

Also, it was not I who brought up Philo. Nor did I bring up evolution. In fact I was very surprised to wake up to find this had taken place.

Oh, and why do you not simply read the books rather than wait to hear it from us. They are really very good.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
08-06-2016, 09:34 AM
(08-06-2016 08:55 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Unless, maybe you have a persecution complex, and get off on being a martyr for your Jebus. OR, you know it's bullshit, and the person you need to try to make it look rational to, is yourself.

I know poor old persecuted me, having to suffer constant insults by atheists on the internet, on an atheists forum, I voluntarily joined. I message the moderators daily to make it stop, but they don't hear my cries, and just leave me out here to suffer, as my Lord did.

Quote:You clearly think you're better than we are, (your "polluted" comment).

I don't give a shit whether you think you're better than me, so why do you give a shit if I think I'm better than you? Why can't we just let bygones be bygones.

08-06-2016, 09:46 AM
(08-06-2016 08:46 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Far as I'm concerned the only thing most people here know about my religious position, is that I'm religious, and that I identify as a Christian, the rest of what they assume my position is seems to primarily be a projection of their own crude fundie evangelism.

My snide comment fits the description of a christian. You have in the past, as now, claim to be a christian. My comments fit that word. If you believe something else, do not call yourself a christian. If you do not wish to be labeled as such, do not call yourself that.

(08-06-2016 08:46 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  But it doesn't matter to me whether people here think my position is silly, or that it's based on the similar allegations I level at those who suggest a mythicist position. Those positions are not what's being discussed here, nor have I advocated for any particular religious views in this thread.

This thread is about a section of historical text, the author and the accuracy of the text.

By speaking about atheism, you bring in your beliefs and religion as well. If you do not want to discuss your religious beliefs, do not discuss atheism.

(08-06-2016 08:46 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  But to say one thing, my religious views allow for a variety of different possibilities, they don't necessary require Jesus to exist, nor do they require a variety of the fanciful stuff said about him to be true, he could have been some kindhearted lunatic, who developed a following, and died at the hands of Romans as a failure, never to be seen again, and developed a following that wrote a variety of Gospels based on him after his humiliating defeat. This non-magical man, his battered body on cross, would still be a God, and savior to me.

If your beliefs include that then you are not a christian in the traditional, understood definition and you should not call yourself such.

It is hypocritical and offensive for you to take insult when posters use the accepted and understood definition of christianity and apply it to you when you claim to be a christian.

(08-06-2016 08:46 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I don't expect you or others here to understand why any of this is, since I'm not you, and you're not me. You can throw whatever variety of prejudices you have in my direction, and I'm just likely to brush my shoulders off with it.

No one will understand you if you insist on concealing your true positions.

And once again you play the prejudice card and claim how it doesn't bother you.
Yet no one has exhibited more prejudice in this thread than you have.

Prejudice, hypocrisy and dishonesty. Jesus would be proud.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
08-06-2016, 09:50 AM
(08-06-2016 09:31 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Actually I said we know Philo visited Jerusalem once.

But you did suggest the Josephus passage regarding James, made better sense if that entire portion was omitted. And I pointed out in detail, why it doesn't. You didn't both picking up the argument again after that.

Quote:On another note; why have you made more than 4000 posts on an atheist website? What is your agenda?

I can say one thing, I didn't join an atheists forum because I had some long term agenda or purpose in mind for my participation. I joined because I wanted to it, I post because I like it, when I'm bored with it, I move on. It's also a good way to kill downtime between work.

08-06-2016, 09:56 AM
(08-06-2016 09:46 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(08-06-2016 08:46 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Far as I'm concerned the only thing most people here know about my religious position, is that I'm religious, and that I identify as a Christian, the rest of what they assume my position is seems to primarily be a projection of their own crude fundie evangelism.

My snide comment fits the description of a christian. You have in the past, as now, claim to be a christian. My comments fit that word. If you believe something else, do not call yourself a christian. If you do not wish to be labeled as such, do not call yourself that.

(08-06-2016 08:46 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  But it doesn't matter to me whether people here think my position is silly, or that it's based on the similar allegations I level at those who suggest a mythicist position. Those positions are not what's being discussed here, nor have I advocated for any particular religious views in this thread.

This thread is about a section of historical text, the author and the accuracy of the text.

By speaking about atheism, you bring in your beliefs and religion as well. If you do not want to discuss your religious beliefs, do not discuss atheism.

(08-06-2016 08:46 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  But to say one thing, my religious views allow for a variety of different possibilities, they don't necessary require Jesus to exist, nor do they require a variety of the fanciful stuff said about him to be true, he could have been some kindhearted lunatic, who developed a following, and died at the hands of Romans as a failure, never to be seen again, and developed a following that wrote a variety of Gospels based on him after his humiliating defeat. This non-magical man, his battered body on cross, would still be a God, and savior to me.

If your beliefs include that then you are not a christian in the traditional, understood definition and you should not call yourself such.

It is hypocritical and offensive for you to take insult when posters use the accepted and understood definition of christianity and apply it to you when you claim to be a christian.

(08-06-2016 08:46 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I don't expect you or others here to understand why any of this is, since I'm not you, and you're not me. You can throw whatever variety of prejudices you have in my direction, and I'm just likely to brush my shoulders off with it.

No one will understand you if you insist on concealing your true positions.

And once again you play the prejudice card and claim how it doesn't bother you.
Yet no one has exhibited more prejudice in this thread than you have.

Prejudice, hypocrisy and dishonesty. Jesus would be proud.

Okay, now that you've got that out of your system, perhaps we can all continue discussing folks like Philo, and Josephus, the James passages, and Philos travels to Jerusalem.

08-06-2016, 10:10 AM
(08-06-2016 09:34 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(08-06-2016 08:55 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Unless, maybe you have a persecution complex, and get off on being a martyr for your Jebus. OR, you know it's bullshit, and the person you need to try to make it look rational to, is yourself.

I know poor old persecuted me, having to suffer constant insults by atheists on the internet, on an atheists forum, I voluntarily joined. I message the moderators daily to make it stop, but they don't hear my cries, and just leave me out here to suffer, as my Lord did.

Quote:You clearly think you're better than we are, (your "polluted" comment).

I don't give a shit whether you think you're better than me, so why do you give a shit if I think I'm better than you? Why can't we just let bygones be bygones.

Per your usual, no real answers to anything. Just more obfuscation and bullshit.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post