About the Testimonium Flavium

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
01-06-2016, 04:53 PM
(01-06-2016 04:50 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(01-06-2016 04:47 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Nope it's proof of the views of modern scholars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the opinion of ONE person. That does NOT prove a consensus among scholars.

This is equivalent to finding someone who is considered a biologist who believes in intelligent design and claiming that they prove scientists agree on ID.

Your dishonesty is showing again.

No it's proof of what modern scholars believe, as is the variety of citations referenced in the wiki.

When you're one of the foremost experts on Josephus, you pretty much know what the predominant views of the scholarship in that area is.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2016, 05:00 PM
RE: About the Testimonium Flavium
(01-06-2016 04:53 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(01-06-2016 04:50 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It's the opinion of ONE person. That does NOT prove a consensus among scholars.

This is equivalent to finding someone who is considered a biologist who believes in intelligent design and claiming that they prove scientists agree on ID.

Your dishonesty is showing again.

No it's proof of what modern scholars believe, as is the variety of citations referenced in the wiki.

When you're one of the foremost experts on Josephus, you pretty much know what the predominant views of the scholarship in that area is.

Using the opinion of one person to extrapolate the beliefs/views/opinions of an entire group of scholars is not only incredibly dishonest, it's laughably stupid.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
01-06-2016, 05:00 PM
(01-06-2016 05:00 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(01-06-2016 04:53 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  No it's proof of what modern scholars believe, as is the variety of citations referenced in the wiki.

Using the opinion of one person to extrapolate the beliefs/views/opinions of an entire group of scholars is not only incredibly dishonest, it's laughably stupid.

Yes quoting one of the foremost expert in the field of study is laughably stupid. Because the last thing scholars know is the predominant views of other scholars in that area.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
01-06-2016, 05:05 PM
(01-06-2016 04:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-06-2016 04:06 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  To make it so that whoever it is I'm arguing with retreats to a "lack of belief". To chase every bad argument to the top of a fence.

You sure that's the direction you're chasing? 'Cause like the rest of us don't see it that way. More like a dog barking at the moon.

oops. forgot to ground my own reference. shame on me.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-06-2016, 05:06 PM
(01-06-2016 05:00 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(01-06-2016 05:00 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Using the opinion of one person to extrapolate the beliefs/views/opinions of an entire group of scholars is not only incredibly dishonest, it's laughably stupid.

Yes quoting one of the foremost expert in the field of study is laughably stupid. Because the last thing scholars know is the predominant views of other scholars in that area.

And yet, it still doesn't corroborate your assertions. Why? Because opinion =/= fact or proof

You can have your own opinions, but you can't have your own facts. No matter how hard you try.

-Rick
01-06-2016, 05:08 PM
When scientists talk about the scientific opinion and consensus on evolution or climate change, etc, they actually take a census of the scientific community to determine what the statistics say with respect to each subject. Why? To substantiate their hypotheses on scientific opinion/consensus.

You (and your mined quote) do the exact opposite and assert a consensus opinion based on an opinion with no actual evidential grounding.

Only the religious would call that "proof" and be sincere.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
01-06-2016, 05:18 PM
(01-06-2016 05:08 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  When scientists talk about the scientific opinion and consensus on evolution or climate change, etc, they actually take a census of the scientific community to determine what the statistics say with respect to each subject. Why? To substantiate their hypotheses on scientific opinion/consensus.

You (and your mined quote) do the exact opposite and assert a consensus opinion based on an opinion with no actual evidential grounding.

Or you can know what the predominant views of scholarship is in a particular area, by being familiar with the scholarship in that area.

01-06-2016, 05:20 PM
(01-06-2016 05:18 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(01-06-2016 05:08 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  When scientists talk about the scientific opinion and consensus on evolution or climate change, etc, they actually take a census of the scientific community to determine what the statistics say with respect to each subject. Why? To substantiate their hypotheses on scientific opinion/consensus.

Or you can know what the predominant views of scholarship is in a particular area, by being familiar with the scholarship in that area.

Or you can be full of shit. Actual evidence and/or data to substantiate your claims is how experts typically define scholarly beliefs.

So once again, opinion =/= fact or proof

It doesn't matter how many times you assert it is so.

-Rick
01-06-2016, 05:22 PM
(01-06-2016 05:20 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(01-06-2016 05:18 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Or you can know what the predominant views of scholarship is in a particular area, by being familiar with the scholarship in that area.

Or you can be full of shit. Actual evidence and/or data to substantiate your claims is how experts typically define scholarly beliefs.

No familiarity with actual scholarship is a valid means of knowing what the predominant views of scholarship in that particular area is.

01-06-2016, 05:23 PM
(01-06-2016 05:22 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(01-06-2016 05:20 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Or you can be full of shit. Actual evidence and/or data to substantiate your claims is how experts typically define scholarly beliefs.

No familiarity with actual scholarship is a valid means of knowing what the predominant views of scholarship in that particular area is.

Repetition doesn't make it true

-Rick