That guy is a Newfie!
Sorry for my excitement.
We don't get a lot of famous people...Smile
Oh yeah, and he right too.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2015, 05:38 PM
RE: About the anti vaxine movement.
(16-02-2015 01:37 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  I might point out that no matter how amoral or greedy "big pharma" (which is itself largely a myth) may be, causing autism in your customers is NEVER a good business plan.

Well, then, it's a good thing they never did. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-02-2015, 06:02 PM
Merck has settled numerous autism lawsuits and even has lost lawsuits in their own specially created 'vaccine court.'

So even they know that their autism laced vaccines cause autism.

Maybe you could file a motion for the court to vacate its judgements against merck because it upsets your ego or call Merck and tell them it makes you look silly when they settle alll those lawsuits.
16-02-2015, 06:10 PM
(16-02-2015 06:02 PM)Anti Wrote:  Merck has settled numerous autism lawsuits and even has lost lawsuits in their own specially created 'vaccine court.'

Maybe you could file a motion for the court to vacate its judgements against merck because it upsets your ego or call Merck and tell them it makes you look silly when they settle alll those lawsuits.

There has never been a single case of autism that has been shown to be related to vaccines. This is not in doubt, there was 1 study that has been shown to have been about as poorly conducted and flat out erroneous that all those claims are based on. The man who lead that study has been permanently disbarred from practicing medicine.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
16-02-2015, 06:22 PM
(16-02-2015 06:02 PM)Anti Wrote:  Merck has settled numerous autism lawsuits and even has lost lawsuits in their own specially created 'vaccine court.'

Citation required.

16-02-2015, 06:31 PM
Doesn't the fact that they created their very own 'vaccine court' tell you anything?
16-02-2015, 06:37 PM
(16-02-2015 06:31 PM)Anti Wrote:  Doesn't the fact that they created their very own 'vaccine court' tell you anything?

Citation required.

16-02-2015, 06:49 PM
There is actually a federal mandated process for litigating claims for vaccine related injuries, euphemistically known as "The Vaccine Court". It was set up in the 80s to keep the pharmaceutical companies from going bankrupt defending against what are mostly spurious claims. That said, there have been injuries caused by vaccines, either due to a defect in the manufacturing process or because some people have reacted badly to them. It's rare, but it does happen. Human beings are complex biological organisms and it stands to reason that some people will have negative reactions to any type of medicines. My youngest son, for example, had a reaction to a form of penicillin a few years ago (despite having taken it previously without issue).

I don't get why we have a special litigation procedure for this, though. I don't know this for a fact but my suspicion is that there are far, far more reactions to normal antibiotics and things like general anesthesia in any given year than there have ever been to vaccines. And, no one is suggesting that these things need to be banned or need special protection. We just understand that with any medicine or procedure there are risks and people are expected to take them. In the case of my own son, he had bronchitis. The risk of not treating it was far greater than the risk he would be allergic to the antibiotic they gave him. And, even after he had a reaction (fortunately a mild one), I still think it was right thing to do. Bronchitis kills people. Even in the age of antibiotics and other treatments, people die from respiratory illness all the time. So, I'd have to be a complete fucking moron not to let my son have medicine that could nip a potentially deadly illness in the bud as soon as we caught it.

As far as this guys gripe, I suspect he is referring to a case that made headlines a few years ago. A family was awarded money because vaccines exacerbated her condition. Some people have tried to argue that was an admission that the vaccine caused autism. I did a quick google and here's is one story on the case: Link

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
16-02-2015, 06:50 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-kirb...68343.html
16-02-2015, 06:59 PM
Couple of points.

First, Merc did not create this court. The federal government did.

Second, you said "Merck has settled numerous autism lawsuits and even has lost lawsuits in their own specially created 'vaccine court.'"

So, you've got a 2nd case, right? Because, one is not numerous last time I checked. And, while this may technically constitute a "autism lawsuit", there is no proven connection here to the autism. So, let's see you back up what you've said because, so far, you've cited the only case anyone has ever heard of.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost