About the death of my parents: Goodbye Luna

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2012, 05:09 PM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2012 05:19 PM by Observer.)
About the death of my parents: Goodbye Luna
Luna came into my life as a Puppy. A cute fuzz-ball with a warm naked belly. I remember me carrying her around with her chest in my hand-palm and her hind legs on both sides of my wrist and arm and people saying she looked like a real-life teddybear.

[Image: lunapup-0008.jpg]

My ex bitched and moaned for years before I agreed to her on buying a dog. I just never saw a good dog owner in her and I was almost sure that after a while it would end up me taking care of the animal. I like dogs, but I also know what a burden they can be if you want to do it right. However, since I felt a dog could be just the extra responsibility my ex needed and could also provide something we where both interested in I finally agreed.

I hate it when get it right...

As long as Luna was a puppy she thought it was great but after 2 years of obedience training she just didn’t want it any more. So there I was, for some reason, owning a dog I didn’t really wanted in the first place.

[Image: 0501-0016.jpg]
We had tons of fun though. Of course I loved her. Especially since by that time my relationship was slowly starting to freeze over. Luna was smart, gentle and playful, but also hyperkinetic. We both learned a lot form each other. If you study dog behaviour, you can read them like you read other nature signals. Luna showed me the world like I've never experienced it before. She learned me how to be cheerful and how to make the best of it regardless of a bad situation.

Then came the day my ex decided she wanted to live on her own. Notwithstanding the fact that SHE was still Luna's owner, she rented a NO-PETS apartment. No wonder... The cleaning freak that she was she always thought the dog was making a mess of the house. Vacuuming 3 times a day was no exception. I'm sorry... if you want a clean house, buy a goldfish stupid women.

There we where... Just she and me... and not a single one of the two of us ever asked for each others company. But my sense of responsibility would not allow me to take her to a shelter. She's here... she stays here. We had great moments but also lots of lonesomeness. I worked 11H a day so Luna was at home all those long and lonesome hours. I myself felt the need for a women in my life (Before I met my ex, I used to live single for 3 years. I knew what it was like).

The weekends where great. We both went Geocaching and took long hikes in the woods and fields. We took a course in sent training and it seemed Luna had talent. I remember us sitting on the trunk of my car watching the stars while we both shared a hot dog, and that we both went to France for one of the best vacations I ever had.

[Image: IMG-3520.jpg]

Then I've met my current wife. She loved Luna as well and the three of us lived happily for a while. But I also understood that, both me and my wife being in their mid 30's, if we wanted to become a family things needed to be done.

Thus came a period of home improvement, followed by my wife’s pregnancy, flowed by the birth and raising of our daughter.

Both my wife and I work 11h a day. When we come home, we still have our daily chores to do and to care for our baby daughter.
It worked for a while but I just couldn’t give the dog the attention she deserved.

This was noticed by my mother and father who liked Luna also. We made an arrangement that every now and then, she could come to their house in the rural Belgian Ardens where she would stay for several months. This plan worked very good. Both Luna, me and my parents where happy.

You can plan your life everything you want but there is just no planning for an unknown unknown...

With the death of my parents, even my backup plan failed...

A dog isn’t some surfboard or motorcycle you lock in the garage until you have the time for it. With her 7 years Luna is too old to wait for me to make time for her.

I contacted friends of mine to search for a better master for Luna. Better then me.

We found someone: An enthusiastic young guy. His mother is disabled and has a service dog. Typical for service dogs is that only the disabled master is allowed to pet them. Our friend wants his own smart dog to pet. We had several meetings and we both agreed. When I arrived to drop her off today, he already changed his computer background to a picture of her and bought himself a book on positive training and a sack of dogfood. I'm sure he's well meaning. Luna is going to be good there.

[Image: Luna.jpg]

I feel shitty and warm tears are rolling from my face!
I know it is a really good solution, but I feel as if I failed her
I feel it is so incredibly sad and unfair that my failed relationship and the death op my parents come together in this sweet and playful animal.

Goodbye my companion, Goodbye my friend
At least, for you I know for sure you will be taken good care of
I'll miss you...

May you finally get the love, care and tenderness you deserve!

About the death of my parents: The murder

About the death of my parents: The funeral
About the death of my parents: The aftermath
About the death of my parents: The Letter
About the death of my parents: Grieving as atheist

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 11 users Like Observer's post
16-02-2012, 05:25 PM
RE: About the death of my parents: Goodbye Luna
Aw man, I know it is so sad to give up a pet. I had to do it twice.
There are some things you can't plan, and then you better think about what is best for your pet.
So don't feel bad. You didn't fail her, you thought of what is good for her and your family.
You knew you didn't have enough time so you looked for a better option, which is great.
You found her a good home, be proud of that, this is a positive thing, nothing to be sad about Smile
*hugs*

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
16-02-2012, 05:31 PM
(16-02-2012 05:25 PM)Leela Wrote:  Aw man, I know it is so sad to give up a pet. I had to do it twice.
There are some things you can't plan, and then you better think about what is best for your pet.
So don't feel bad. You didn't fail her, you thought of what is good for her and your family.
You knew you didn't have enough time so you looked for a better option, which is great.
You found her a good home, be proud of that, this is a positive thing, nothing to be sad about Smile
*hugs*

I owe you one for making me tear-up at work! lol
You gave her some wonderful years and did the right thing. You have a big heart (it comes through your posts)
Good job, Ob! Sleepy

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post
16-02-2012, 05:42 PM
What a beautiful, beautiful friend! Is Luna a chocolate Lab?

Labs are incredibly intelligent and sensitive; they can sense many things about humans including health matters like stress, depression, and even cancer (they smell it, I guess). They seem to have a longer and more fulfilling life if they are useful. I'll bet Luna knows it's time to get to know someone else... someone who needs a friend.

It probably sucks for you right now... and probably a little bit for Luna, too. Sad
I'm sorry... sometimes tears are the only transition there is.

It is great knowing Luna will have a new adventure.
Heart Take care.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
16-02-2012, 08:18 PM
That would be a very hard thing to do. My heart goes out to you. I hope you can heal over this loss and keep the warm thoughts of her always. A dog can touch our hearts like that. I am sure she is safe and in a good home. I have a feeling you made sure of that. Try not to be so troubled. This will pass in time. All my best to you.
[+] 1 user Likes N.E.OhioAtheist's post
16-02-2012, 08:44 PM
This made me cry, too. I have a dog and know the dedication and strain it takes to look out for their wellbeing. What a huge heart you have to be concerned about this and even recognize she will be better somewhere else. They say true love is not for when you look out for yourself first, but for the other that you love, and what their happiness is. Good for you. Even if it comes with mixed feelings (why wouldn't it, you really do care.)
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
17-02-2012, 03:37 PM
(16-02-2012 05:42 PM)kim Wrote:  What a beautiful, beautiful friend! Is Luna a chocolate Lab?
Yes she is.

She was...
no..
She IS a master in the study of human behaviour. One of the things she learned me was to be observant of human interaction. When I call myself Observer, its Luna who learned me.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
17-02-2012, 03:41 PM
For more we plan we don't have control over everything. I'm sure Luna had a happy life at your side and will keep being happy with her new companion.
Good luck.

Disregard my old posts.
25-02-2012, 02:16 PM
(16-02-2012 05:09 PM)Observer Wrote:  May you finally get the love, care and tenderness you deserve!

Mate.........from what you have wrote I dont think Luna ever went without any of those from you.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
25-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Wow, I can feel for the dog... uh, you.. wow, what happened to your parents.. wow, I feel hurt. Empathy sucks. It really does. I don't even know what to say to that. I don't even know you. Sometimes there is the thought of disappearing that I have... of living a life alone mostly because of the hurt, but I love people. It's stories like this that make me love them more even through all the hurt. well, because of the connection. One day the memories of us will fade in the mind of our grandkid's grandkids, but the ripples we created through the world will still grow and effect everyone. Your parents left ripples that effect the readers. You wrote it, but you are a ripple as well.. creating ripples... Wow... crap... dude, you made me cry.. .. not a bad thing, just unexpected. Thank you for sharing. I'm sure it was hard for you. ..

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes craniumonempty's post