About the death of my parents: The Letter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2012, 04:52 PM
About the death of my parents: The Letter
That year my brothers wife gave birth of a Girl. We'll call her K (there's a forum member with the same name Smile) A year later My brother's relationship with his wife starts to crumble and it end in a divorce where he is given custody over K some days a month.
Bother finds a new wife. As K grows older, she starts to show more and more influence of my brothers ex, much to the dismay of my brothers new wife who sees her as some kind of spy. My brother (being still quite young) decides it is better for him and his relation that K doesn’t visit anymore.

Enter my mother who wants to keep seeing her first grandchild.

She decides that it’s ok for her that K comes to visit her instead of my brother. So she collects K for several times. This is not to the liking of my brother's ex-mother in law (dubbed "deputy-dog" or "the colonel" by us) and she makes her lawyer write a thread that "such things need to be arranged in court"

I can only recall this history to this point. I was only 8 to 11 back then and understandably left out of the discussion. Fact is: We never saw K ever since.

Bro left that wife too after several years, remarried and has 2 daughters with his third wife.

From time to time, I heard mother talk about K and how she wonders what happened to her. Later I heard her talk about how she got contact with K explaining her she has two sisters. I think she got a reply as well.

Years go by, we reach 2011 and, with grim inevitability, that dramatic date of my parents violent death.

As I am the best placed to arrange my parents busyness like cancelling accounts, and paying bills, I moved their escritoire to my house taking all their private administration with me. I found a binder containing envelopes and letters, one of them in purple, still sealed. I put the binder in a box along with the rest of the less important stuff.

Some days later I get a phone call from M my mother's "friend". She informs me about a letter that needs to be delivered to K. Mom told her it was "somewhere in the house". I explain to M I found that letter in the escritoire. It was stamped with a post date and still sealed. M tells me mom did send the letter to her own to have the postal date as proof of authenticity of a date inside that letter. The letter is supposed to be moms testimony on the events concerning K. M is concerned that my brother would find that letter and would destroy it. So I tell her the letter is safe with me, and since it was my mothers will to have it delivered, i'll see to it.

In search of K's address I call my nieces to ask if they know anything. They met K briefly at the funeral. They tell me they want to deliver the letter to meet their sister.

Now...
I'm carrying this sealed purple envelope and...

K
Doesn’t know about anything

M
Claiming to be my mothers friend (they had their issues, but got along quite well) throws her full weight (all 170 Kg) in the scale to have that letter delivered. She's probably using her pendulum or crystals right now to send me the correct energy. Smile All fine with me as long as she don't want HUGS... Confused

My nieces
Want to meet their sister. Are they? Or are they just dying to know what’s inside the letter?

My brother
Doesn't know what's inside the letter. I heard my nieces saying that he would like to meet K since he lost so many family already. I like that. But maybe the contents of that letter might blow up any chance of that happening.

me
I want to comply to mom's wish. I don't know what's inside that letter either. I can’t open it without breaking the seal and thus ruining the postal date.

This is what I’ll do I guess...
Gathering all my diplomatic skills, I'll try to find out if it is really tru that my brother wants to see his long lost daughter again. If it is, I'm perfectly positioned to mediate between the two. Then I can decide whether to give the letter to my brother or to K.

I guess that uniting my brother with his daughter would be mom's ultimate wish.

About the death of my parents: The murder

About the death of my parents: The funeral
About the death of my parents: The aftermath

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Observer's post
13-01-2012, 06:05 PM
RE: About the death of my parents: The Letter
I am so stunned. Will your "story" have a kind of happy end?
Like at least two people meet again? Or will the whole thing result in a fight over a sealed letter?
omg, I am sorry I just realize that i sound like narrator... But really that's my thoughts

I hope for the happy end! As happy as can be...

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post
13-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Interesting situation. Is your brother wanting a relationship with this daughter? Or could it be detrimental to her well-being? I'm sure you will make the correct decision as only you know your family well enough to decide what's best.
Good Luck Shy

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
14-01-2012, 02:32 AM
(13-01-2012 06:05 PM)Leela Wrote:  omg, I am sorry I just realize that i sound like narrator...
Come and see next week in: "About the death of my parents" Big Grin

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
15-01-2012, 12:11 PM
From what I can tell reading through your story.....

Give her the letter.

K was flesh and blood relation to your mother as well. K isn't some child anymore that needs to be protected, she is and has been an adult for a number of years now. When she gets your mother's letter, she, as an adult, can choose to believe it or reject it, and if she believes it, choose what to do with that information.

Simply being the parent of K does not give your brother the right to run interference on everyone else in the world interacting with her, especially other family.
[+] 2 users Like Superluminal's post
25-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Uh, so what happened with the letter? Is there another post with it?

A theist and an atheist go to heaven.
theist: "See! There is a heaven."
atheist: "So, you consider heaven a joke too?"
------
Defy gravity... stand up.
25-02-2012, 05:12 PM
K and your other two nieces have the right to meet if they want to. I have a daughter who, we have found out, has two sisters and a brother that she has never met but she is aware of their existence. She has spoken with the brother on the phone. It's their choice what to do. While she had been secreted from them, she has always known about them.

My son found out (as did I) that he has a sister four months younger than he is. His dad decided to give him this info when my son was 18. So, she was conceived when son's father and I were married and I was pregnant. Son cut ties with his father for lying to him all those years. He had the right to know he had another sister.

Be honest, present the info...let the girls decide what's next.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
25-02-2012, 05:48 PM
(13-01-2012 04:52 PM)Observer Wrote:  1984
That year my brothers wife gave birth of a Girl. We'll call her K (there's a forum member with the same name Smile)

You have a niece named Kingschosen? Weird.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
26-02-2012, 06:59 AM
(25-02-2012 05:48 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  You have a niece named Kingschosen? Weird.
I recognise an obsession when I see one. Tongue

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
[+] 2 users Like Observer's post
26-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Ok, I have read the entire series of posts I could find.

I have not found anything about what happened with the letter.

What happened?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post