About to meet DLJ

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-10-2015, 05:07 AM
RE: About to meet DLJ
Those are clearly not DLJ and FC. It could be FC and some random dude, but there is no DLJ there. I don't see the most interesting man in the world(how I picture DLJ) in that pic.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2015, 05:15 AM
(17-10-2015 05:07 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  Those are clearly not DLJ and FC. It could be FC and some random dude, but there is no DLJ there. I don't see the most interesting man in the world(how I picture DLJ) in that pic.

He must be in disguise (because Interpol).

Weeping

17-10-2015, 05:25 AM
Makes sense. The most interesting man would have the most normal look as disguise. Just shows how the grass is really greener on the other side. We normal mortals want to emulate the most interesting man while he tries to emulate a normal mortal Big Grin

17-10-2015, 05:39 AM
(17-10-2015 05:25 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  Makes sense. The most interesting man would have the most normal look as disguise. Just shows how the grass is really greener on the other side. We normal mortals want to emulate the most interesting man while he tries to emulate a normal mortal Big Grin

OK. Now I'm sure you're taking the piss.

It hurts, man, it hurts.

Sadcryface

17-10-2015, 05:55 AM
Of course I'm not taking the piss.
Seriously, why u no look like the most interesting man?

17-10-2015, 06:00 AM
(17-10-2015 05:55 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  Of course I'm not taking the piss.
Seriously, why u no look like the most interesting man?

Lack of photoshop skillz?

I'm not going to let it bother me that you think I look insufficiently interesting-man-like, I just got a high 5 from a total stranger at Singapore airport because I have great hair.

I think he was drunk.

Unsure

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
17-10-2015, 06:06 AM
I bet you picked up some ladies too when you returned home Big Grin

17-10-2015, 06:10 AM
(17-10-2015 06:06 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  I bet you picked up some ladies too when you returned home Big Grin

I'm not home yet. I'm hoping to get back in time to find somewhere to watch RSA vs. Wales.

Ladies (one or some) are of a lesser priority.

Big Grin

17-10-2015, 06:18 AM
There is always the option of doing it in the cab or whatever you're in . I know so because movies. : lol:

[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
17-10-2015, 05:19 PM
(17-10-2015 04:27 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(17-10-2015 01:08 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  The Big Picture.

My evening with DLJ was going great, we acquainted ourselves over a fine Chinese dinner and toasted with a bottle of hot Sake. When we were done I brought out my computer and played a slide show of my favorite underwater images taken during our recent trip to Lembeh Strait in Northern Sulawesi and the area known as Raja Ampat (The Five Kings) off of West Papua, New Guinea, Indonesia.

DLJ gave them his undivided attention and when the slide show was finished he paid me a much appreciated compliment telling me that the photos had moved him but then he asked the probing question that has led me to this writing and that is; to what end? Besides the inherent beauty of the images of fish and coral reefs was there a further usefulness to capturing images of the underwater world?

I found myself struggling to defend my passion. I began stammering in an effort to give my work a greater meaning. I mentioned that we (my wife and I) were the largest contributors of fish identification images to the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute outside of the authors, that some of our findings were expanding the known range of species, that marine biologist regularly contacted us for the use of our images to publish in their papers, that we were going to be co-authors of an upcoming scientific paper that documented changes in species biogeography over a fifty year span and that we also sold our photos to be published in magazines, books and even to a museum. I also told him how we, as volunteers of a non-profit organization, give presentations twice a month to post-graduate interns and the public at large on fish behavior and identification. After regurgitating all of this I was still left with the empty feeling that perhaps this wasn’t enough to warrant all the time, effort and expense I devote to my obsession.

I found myself wrestling with my inner demons…fish pictures…big deal.

We left the Chinese restaurant and headed one floor up to a bar and continued to thoroughly enjoy ourselves telling stories of our life, family, travels and exotic foods we’ve eaten like horse meat stew in Mongolia and Guinea pig thermidor in Peru. Of course we also discussed the TTA forum and its cast of characters while DLJ imbibed Kahlua and Coke and I had multiple rounds of Glenmorangie single malt scotch that helped loosen our tongues to the point of sharing our middle names heretofore sworn to secrecy. Don’t even ask.

The night ended too soon, I was tired from a long day of travel and my flight would be early in the morning so we said our goodbyes and I left sincerely hoping that we would meet again in the future. DLJ, besides leaving me with the sense of having made a real connection, also left me with the nagging thought…fish pictures…big deal.

This morning as I walked the terminal in the Singapore airport I stopped at a bookstore to browse the pitifully small Science section. I bought a book entitled Ten Million Aliens about the weird life forms found on planet Earth and then I browsed through the latest issue of National Geographic and as I did this the answer to his query hit me.

I know why I do what I do, and that is for the sheer pleasure of gathering knowledge, personal knowledge mostly and sometimes if I’m lucky, adding to the greater body of science at large. Will any of this extrapolate to the betterment of the human condition? Probably not. But I am hopeful that if our images spur even one future marine biologist, one more person to care for our planet and its denizens, above or below the ocean surface, then maybe a pretty fish picture is more than what meets the eye and I can live with that.

Ooops.

Apologies for causing you some existential angst, there.

I agree that "adding to the body of knowledge" is a good answer to the "to what end?" question.

Thing is, I was being a little more specific with my question... I acknowledge the passion of the cataloguists (new word?) but was really trying to establish whether there was some mechanism (established or currently forming) that would link the research, that you and your peers are doing, to the action of addressing the damage being done by coral bombs etc (and the underlying social conditions that lead to that damage).

In other words ... how does your research lead to activism / policy change?

Edit: That question is not intended as a criticism in any way. I'm not saying that you personally have a duty to be any kind of activist.
Your pictures and your story stirred something in me. I felt your pain regarding the destruction of the habitat you love.
It seems like the next logical question ... What can be done? And what is being done?

Data (your pictures) should lead to Information (your story) should lead to Knowledge (global awareness) should lead to Wisdom (better decisions regarding economic and environmental policies).

Just landed in Dallas and already in the next plane awaiting takeoff, sorry not to have any time to meet Anjie.

No need to apologize DLJ, it was a good mental exercise for me. Nothing that you said I took as a challenge, it was a very fair observation and obvious question.

I don't know if any of what I do will ever directly impact conservation of the marine world, I am only hope to inspire others to protect what remains with some of my photos.

I look forward to seeing you again in the future.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post