Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2015, 08:50 PM
RE: Absence of evidence
(21-08-2015 08:46 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(21-08-2015 08:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  Impressive. Drinking Beverage

Fuck off with your nearly 32k likes. Karma whore. Drinking Beverage

You wound me deeply. Weeping

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-08-2015, 08:50 PM
(21-08-2015 08:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-08-2015 08:46 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Fuck off with your nearly 32k likes. Karma whore. Drinking Beverage

You wound me deeply. Weeping

You're so fucking fragile

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
21-08-2015, 08:52 PM
(21-08-2015 08:50 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(21-08-2015 08:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  You wound me deeply. Weeping

You're so fucking fragile

Yes, I know. Everyone says so. Sadcryface2

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-08-2015, 08:53 PM
(21-08-2015 08:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-08-2015 08:50 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You're so fucking fragile

Yes, I know. Everyone says so. Sadcryface2

That's what she said

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
21-08-2015, 09:00 PM (This post was last modified: 22-08-2015 05:36 AM by Matt Finney.)
(21-08-2015 08:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-08-2015 08:40 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Do you also think it is possible that there could be highly intelligent life elsewhere in the universe
Yes, it is very likely.
Quote:that is aware that there is life on earth,
Yes, but it is very unlikely.
Quote:and that there could even be aliens on an explanatory mission towards earth?
Exporatory? Yes, but it is very, very unlikely.

Yes, exploratory lol, apparently neither of us can spell Sadcryface

The reason I'm doing this is to point out free's inconsistency.

On the dragon thread I suggested that for all we know there could be aliens on their way towards earth, and Free responded with "You don't seem to understand that for a claim to be possible, it must be falsifiable."

Free is suggesting that if it's not falsifiable that aliens are on their way towards earth, then it is impossible, but now he seems to be totally changing his tune, admitting that even though the proposition of life elsewhere in the universe is not falsifiable, it doesn't mean that it's impossible. I wonder how far he will keep backpedaling.....

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ons?page=6
21-08-2015, 09:17 PM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2015 09:39 PM by Free.)
(21-08-2015 09:00 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(21-08-2015 08:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, it is very likely.
Yes, but it is very unlikely.
Exporatory? Yes, but it is very, very unlikely.

Yes, exploratory lol, apparently neither of us can spell Sadcryface

On the dragon thread I suggested that for all we know there could be aliens on their way towards earth, and Free responded with "You don't seem to understand that for a claim to be possible, it must be falsifiable."

Free is suggesting that if we it's not falsifiable that aliens are on the way towards earth, then it is impossible, but now he seems to be totally changing his tune, admitting that even though the proposition of life elsewhere in the universe is not falsifiable, it doesn't mean that it's impossible. I wonder how far he will keep backpedaling.....

There is no back pedalling here at all, only an attempt at deception by you.

On the other thread I said that if we looked for aliens approaching earth and seen none, then the claim that aliens were approaching earth was proven false.

It has nothing to do with whether or not aliens could possibly be approaching earth.

Here's the actual conversation regarding that, just so people can see the truth for themselves, since your link takes them deceptively to a completely unrelated post:

(20-08-2015 08:18 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  If I can't prove that there's an alien spacecraft on it's way towards earth, it doesn't mean that there is not an alien spacecraft on it's way towards earth.

(20-08-2015 08:47 AM)Free Wrote:  Are you saying that if I cannot prove that 1 Billion monkeys are crawling up your ass right now, it doesn't mean 1 billion monkeys are not crawling up your ass right now?

Matt Finney Wrote:Couldn't we just look in my ass and see if we see any monkeys? Wouldn't I feel a billion monkeys crawling up my ass?

Free Wrote:Couldn't we just look into space for an approaching alien craft? Wouldn't we see an alien craft approaching?

If there is no evidence of monkey's crawling up your ass, how is that any different than no evidence of an approaching alien craft?

Free Wrote:If you do not have observable evidence to support the claim, then the claim is false. And even if you do provide evidence, if that evidence is falsified, then the claim is false.

Nice try, liar.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
22-08-2015, 04:09 AM
(21-08-2015 09:17 PM)Free Wrote:  
(21-08-2015 09:00 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Yes, exploratory lol, apparently neither of us can spell Sadcryface

Free is suggesting that if we it's not falsifiable that aliens are on the way towards earth, then it is impossible, but now he seems to be totally changing his tune, admitting that even though the proposition of life elsewhere in the universe is not falsifiable, it doesn't mean that it's impossible. I wonder how far he will keep backpedaling.....

There is no back pedalling here at all, only an attempt at deception by you.

On the other thread I said that if we looked for aliens approaching earth and seen none, then the claim that aliens were approaching earth was proven false.

It has nothing to do with whether or not aliens could possibly be approaching earth.

Here's the actual conversation regarding that, just so people can see the truth for themselves, since your link takes them deceptively to a completely unrelated post:

(20-08-2015 08:18 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  If I can't prove that there's an alien spacecraft on it's way towards earth, it doesn't mean that there is not an alien spacecraft on it's way towards earth.

(20-08-2015 08:47 AM)Free Wrote:  Are you saying that if I cannot prove that 1 Billion monkeys are crawling up your ass right now, it doesn't mean 1 billion monkeys are not crawling up your ass right now?

Matt Finney Wrote:Couldn't we just look in my ass and see if we see any monkeys? Wouldn't I feel a billion monkeys crawling up my ass?

Free Wrote:Couldn't we just look into space for an approaching alien craft? Wouldn't we see an alien craft approaching?

If there is no evidence of monkey's crawling up your ass, how is that any different than no evidence of an approaching alien craft?

Free Wrote:If you do not have observable evidence to support the claim, then the claim is false. And even if you do provide evidence, if that evidence is falsified, then the claim is false.

Nice try, liar.

The claim is not proven to be false, but only failed to be proven true. In other words "unproved" rather than "disproved."

By your flawed logic, we could also say with certainty that there isn't intelligent life elsewhere in the universe.

You can't tell the difference between unproved and disproved. I was hoping the video would help.....
22-08-2015, 05:22 AM
(21-08-2015 08:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  The absence of evidence that should be there is very much the evidence of absence.

What you're talking about is not absence of evidence, but negative (or falsifying) evidence, so this should be easy. Just present your evidence that falsifies god and we'll all conclude with you that there is no god.
22-08-2015, 05:27 AM
(22-08-2015 05:22 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(21-08-2015 08:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  The absence of evidence that should be there is very much the evidence of absence.

What you're talking about is not absence of evidence, but negative (or falsifying) evidence, so this should be easy. Just present your evidence that falsifies god and we'll all conclude with you that there is no god.

The evidence is the absence of any evidence. There is no evidence of godly interaction with our universe, nothing we've ever figured out had god as an explanation, nothing we've ever encountered requires god as an explanation. Due to the lack of evidence, I conclude that there are no gods.

This is not about proof, it's about evidence. They are not the same thing.

22-08-2015, 05:32 AM
(22-08-2015 05:27 AM)Chas Wrote:  Due to the lack of evidence, I conclude that there are no gods.

Do you also conclude that there are no alien spacecraft?