Absence of evidence in the 21st century

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Absence of evidence in the 21st century
This is a thought that occurred to me that is based off of an idea of someone else's.

In the 21st century, a majority of the world's population lives no more than a few inches away a camera and/or camcorder at any given moment (cell phones of course). We have not only the same observational tools available to us that they had in the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries, but now it is easier than ever to buy yourself a high-quality microscope or telescope and even getting access to some very powerful instrumentation is possible if you can afford the time and know who to talk to.

Despite all of these tools at out disposal for observing the universe around us, there is still a paucity of evidence as to the existence of anything supernatural, let alone a god. I contend that while the statement that "the absence of evidence is not equal to the evidence of absence" is typically true, it is now perverse to draw that conclusion with respect to a god (at least one of the theological variety as opposed to deist-type).

Absence of any evidence in the 21st century, coupled with the existence of evidence to explain abnormal brain function, is sufficient evidence to qualify the statement that god does not exist.

(for the sake of BS replies aboud definitions of god, we will stick with the traditional monotheistic definitions of an intervening god)

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
16-08-2013, 01:35 PM
RE: Absence of evidence in the 21st century
Er... God haz teh inviz cloak ?
16-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Re: Absence of evidence in the 21st century
Something like that I guess, but even that should be detectable as it implies that there is a way to do so. I mean, that there would be a way of preventing detection and that even this should be something we could figure out.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
16-08-2013, 02:03 PM
I agree to some extent. But I don't think we can extend it to god, it does work for ghosts, aliens, big foot and stuff like that though

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
16-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Re: Absence of evidence in the 21st century
If it is the god of Abraham, then evidence should be expected and should be a valid argument.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
16-08-2013, 02:38 PM
(16-08-2013 02:03 PM)nach_in Wrote:  I agree to some extent. But I don't think we can extend it to god, it does work for ghosts, aliens, big foot and stuff like that though

Deist god? No.

The very specific God(s) as envisaged by all the major religions and most of the minor ones? Oh, absolutely.

... this is my signature!
16-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Don't forget that these gods in the major religions like to stay incognito, besides a theist would say god deleted the footage or something like that. It works for miracles, but I doubt many theists claim that god walks around as something that would be caught on tape

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
16-08-2013, 05:37 PM
The evidence that is absent and should be there is the effects in the world of any supernatural agent.

That is compelling.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-08-2013, 05:45 PM
(16-08-2013 03:05 PM)nach_in Wrote:  Don't forget that these gods in the major religions like to stay incognito

I dunno about that. Christian god was killing babies, parting seas and make animals talk all over the place before.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
16-08-2013, 05:58 PM (This post was last modified: 16-08-2013 06:03 PM by Luminon.)
Many people have cameras today, but many have Photoshop too. So nothing changed. I have seen lots of weird shit on the video, but I believe only the weird shit that I saw with my own eyes. UFOs in plain sight in daylight, with jet airplanes flying nearby for comparison, stuff like that. UFO was faster and left no vapor trail.