Absolute Truth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Absolute Truth
Isn't asking someone if absolute truth exists and offering only an answer of Absolutely True or False luring them into a trap? Isn't this just a play on words?

Banned from ChristianChat.com for "Spreading Disbelief"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2013, 12:52 PM
RE: Absolute Truth
(15-08-2013 12:49 PM)atheistinhiding82 Wrote:  Isn't asking someone if absolute truth exists and offering only an answer of Absolutely True or False luring them into a trap? Isn't this just a play on words?

It's a canard that can be used by either side. But yes it is generally a trap or a twist of phrase.

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
15-08-2013, 01:02 PM
(15-08-2013 12:49 PM)atheistinhiding82 Wrote:  Isn't asking someone if absolute truth exists and offering only an answer of Absolutely True or False luring them into a trap? Isn't this just a play on words?

Xian apologist Ravi Zacharias is big on this one. If you say there is no absolute truth, then by his definition you are stating an absolute truth, thus contradicting yourself and therefore driving you towards the acceptance of the Absolute Truth of Xianity.
15-08-2013, 01:04 PM
http://www.proofthatgodexists.org/

Went here and it asked that question. Here's my thoughts:
Absolute truth does not exist. What is true for you, might not be true for others. I can only know what is true for me. And what is true for me is what can only be observed through reason, logic, and the scientific method.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Banned from ChristianChat.com for "Spreading Disbelief"