Absolute

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-05-2013, 12:07 PM
RE: Absolute
(21-05-2013 11:51 AM)kim Wrote:  
(21-05-2013 08:59 AM)Elesjei Wrote:  Right and wrong, love, and fear only exist as concepts and as such are dependent on there being an entity that is capable of feeling them. And if no entity exists that is capable of thought, then there is no such thing as truth either because the concept applies to statements or beliefs. If no being with a mind exists, truth does not exist because there are no statements or beliefs.

So yes; right and wrong, love, fear, and truth only exist because complex life does. They do not exist outside of the minds of animals.

That.

My 3 cent addition might be some suspect rumination on these constructs being evolving adaptations ... which may either contribute or be a hinderance to the progress of the species' involved. As a cluster of living beings, we're only just now becoming familiar with the far-out idea that it might not be a good idea to murder each other. We're still a bunch of apes who're still just realizing that, that thing on our shoulders might do something other than eat and grow hair. Dodgy

Toss another million years into the equation and one might not even question the subjective nature of truth, love, fear, or any particular attribute the species human currently struggles with. Nature takes time and the equipment we've got ... I don't know that I would use the word imperfect nor would I use the word ideal. It's kind of all we've got to work with... so, I guess time will further inform us... always, at a much later date.

Or not. Drinking Beverage

That goddamn Bemore... always makin' the ape noggin think too much.

I love it how nihilism just kinda sorta shows up naturally all nonchalant "S'up bitches." and shit. Big Grin

This is not my signature.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-05-2013, 12:14 PM
I don't know that it's all that nihilist ... I just consider evolution and go from there. There is no reason for conceptual constructs to be nothing more than adaptations subject to the ebb and flow of natural selection.

Besides, nihilism sounds kinda mean and yucky; reminds me of those guys who peed on the Dude's rug. Undecided

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
21-05-2013, 01:19 PM
(21-05-2013 12:14 PM)kim Wrote:  Besides, nihilism sounds kinda mean and yucky; reminds me of those guys who peed on the Dude's rug. Undecided

Blatant misrepresentations designed by the nihilists' themselves to rule out those incapable of serious deliberation. Big Grin ... Ain't talkin' 'bout you Kim. ... God save my sorry ass I ain't talking 'bout you. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
21-05-2013, 01:33 PM
(20-05-2013 06:41 PM)I and I Wrote:  Truth is not different according to the individual, and neither does absolute truth exist.

Truths and morals are relative to ones society that they grew up in.
Hence Hegels description of absolute knowledge vs absolute truth.

Next Drinking Beverage

Is it absolutely true that absolute truth does not exist? Any way you answer it leads to some kind of absolute truth.
[+] 1 user Likes Messed Up Kitten's post
21-05-2013, 01:57 PM
(21-05-2013 01:19 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-05-2013 12:14 PM)kim Wrote:  Besides, nihilism sounds kinda mean and yucky; reminds me of those guys who peed on the Dude's rug. Undecided

Blatant misrepresentations designed by the nihilists' themselves to rule out those incapable of serious deliberation. Big Grin ... Ain't talkin' 'bout you Kim. ... God save my sorry ass I ain't talking 'bout you. Big Grin

Oh, you so Girly. Flex

Don't get me wrong; I'm ok with calculating that none of us exist but... I just think it would benefit human kind all around, if I had my coffee & oatmeal raisin cookies for breakfast, s'all. Drinking Beverage

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
21-05-2013, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 21-05-2013 04:53 PM by GirlyMan.)
(21-05-2013 01:57 PM)kim Wrote:  ... oatmeal raisin cookies for breakfast, s'all. Drinking Beverage

Shit spikes my sugars. I don't eat it. Tongue

22-05-2013, 02:27 AM
(21-05-2013 01:33 PM)Messed Up Kitten Wrote:  
(20-05-2013 06:41 PM)I and I Wrote:  Truth is not different according to the individual, and neither does absolute truth exist.

Next Drinking Beverage

Is it absolutely true that absolute truth does not exist? Any way you answer it leads to some kind of absolute truth.

The phrase "absolute truth doesn't exist" is not the claim that something exists, it is the claim that something doesn't exist...like absolute truth. What does "absolutely true" mean?
23-05-2013, 08:31 AM
(22-05-2013 02:27 AM)I and I Wrote:  
(21-05-2013 01:33 PM)Messed Up Kitten Wrote:  Is it absolutely true that absolute truth does not exist? Any way you answer it leads to some kind of absolute truth.

The phrase "absolute truth doesn't exist" is not the claim that something exists, it is the claim that something doesn't exist...like absolute truth. What does "absolutely true" mean?

Darn, you only played the "let's get hung up on the definition of words we already know" (and if you don't know what they mean, why are talking about it?) game. Wah, I was hoping you were going to turn it into an anti-science rant and throw in a few fucks and shits; I dunno, I find that funny. Oh well, maybe better luck next time.
23-05-2013, 10:06 AM
(21-05-2013 01:33 PM)Messed Up Kitten Wrote:  

Next Drinking Beverage

Absolute knowledge and absolute truth aren't the same thing.
Fuck
Shit

Drinking Beverage
27-05-2013, 04:03 AM

If there's no absolute truth, then there is no science. Truth is our understanding corresponding to what is real. No truth, then no reality, and then no science.

You don't get to have your cake and eat it to. You don't get to be an atheist and still believe in science.
Quote this message in a reply