Absurdism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Absurdism
I was reading Camus's short on sisyphus and it was just so bizarre, but it somehow makes sense. Can you be happy rolling a stone up a mountain knowing it will fall backwards over and over for eternity? I feel like I would. And I don't know why, I haven't actually attempted sisyphus's feat and im sure it might change my perception. but as of right now I wouldn't mind it. Any thoughts on Sisyphus?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Indian's post
01-04-2012, 07:07 PM
RE: Absurdism
(01-04-2012 06:04 PM)Indian Wrote:  I was reading Camus's short on sisyphus and it was just so bizarre, but it somehow makes sense. Can you be happy rolling a stone up a mountain knowing it will fall backwards over and over for eternity? I feel like I would. And I don't know why, I haven't actually attempted sisyphus's feat and im sure it might change my perception. but as of right now I wouldn't mind it. Any thoughts on Sisyphus?
I like Camus, as an existentialist, he saw life as quite absurd, and wrote some really good books IMO.
He died in a car accident in his early 40s. Think he may have ben a bit too negative and pessimistic...
01-04-2012, 07:29 PM
I'm in love with Gwyneth Paltrow. That's pretty dang absurd. Wink

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
01-04-2012, 09:44 PM
That's what all reformers do, and everyone who volunteers at a food bank or refugee camp. You think your years of work have finally resulted in some progress? It's undone in a second; you have to start all over. Can you be happy doing that? Sure, as long as you believe that your effort makes some small improvement day by day - or that eventually it will make a lasting difference: as long as you can convince yourself that it's not entirely futile.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
01-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Sisyphus was a sissy!

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-04-2012, 05:54 AM
Camus is certainly a major contributor to Existentialism.
It is absurd to believe that there is a meaning for our lives because there is no meaning. This is the trap of the religious. They believe that God has a plan for them. They invent an invisible friend who knows the plan, even though they do not. They find comfort in the belief in a plan even if they do not know it. That's not just absurd, it's delusional. They cannot accept the idea that they are just here for no particular reason. By chance.

Camus' example of the stone rolling up the hill is the portrayal of life. What he seeks to explain is that we create meaning in our lives where no meaning actually exists. Could you find meaning in rolling the stone up the hill only to see it fall back down again and start all over? If you can't, then how can you find meaning in your own life?
10 generations from now neither me nor anyone reading this will likely be in the memory of a single human being. Only a few will be remembered in history, and so what if you are - your dead. So why not just end it now? Why not commit suicide? Are you here just to provide for others? What if their lives are meaningless as well? You are supporting the meaningless to create meaning? Are you just taking up space? Competing for scarce resources against others? Taking a job away from someone else who needs it?
All this can be quite depressing unless you step back away from your direct engagement and your presumption of meaning.

There is no meaning to life so stop thinking that there is.
We are not that important in the short-run and less so in the long-run.
Life is simply an existence to be experienced, nothing more.
There is no meaning, but a meaning is not necessary.
We are here, we exist, and we are conscious of the experience.
Just experience it while you are here, because soon you will not be.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 3 users Like Thomas's post
03-04-2012, 10:07 AM
(03-04-2012 05:54 AM)Thomas Wrote:  Camus is certainly a major contributor to Existentialism.
It is absurd to believe that there is a meaning for our lives because there is no meaning. This is the trap of the religious. They believe that God has a plan for them. They invent an invisible friend who knows the plan, even though they do not. They find comfort in the belief in a plan even if they do not know it. That's not just absurd, it's delusional. They cannot accept the idea that they are just here for no particular reason. By chance.

Camus' example of the stone rolling up the hill is the portrayal of life. What he seeks to explain is that we create meaning in our lives where no meaning actually exists. Could you find meaning in rolling the stone up the hill only to see it fall back down again and start all over? If you can't, then how can you find meaning in your own life?
10 generations from now neither me nor anyone reading this will likely be in the memory of a single human being. Only a few will be remembered in history, and so what if you are - your dead. So why not just end it now? Why not commit suicide? Are you here just to provide for others? What if their lives are meaningless as well? You are supporting the meaningless to create meaning? Are you just taking up space? Competing for scarce resources against others? Taking a job away from someone else who needs it?
All this can be quite depressing unless you step back away from your direct engagement and your presumption of meaning.

There is no meaning to life so stop thinking that there is.
We are not that important in the short-run and less so in the long-run.
Life is simply an existence to be experienced, nothing more.
There is no meaning, but a meaning is not necessary.
We are here, we exist, and we are conscious of the experience.
Just experience it while you are here, because soon you will not be.

In other words.... this v

03-04-2012, 10:49 AM
(01-04-2012 07:29 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I'm in love with Gwyneth Paltrow. That's pretty dang absurd. Wink
Especially since Heather Graham is like a younger hotter version.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
03-04-2012, 11:06 AM
(01-04-2012 07:07 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(01-04-2012 06:04 PM)Indian Wrote:  I was reading Camus's short on sisyphus and it was just so bizarre, but it somehow makes sense. Can you be happy rolling a stone up a mountain knowing it will fall backwards over and over for eternity? I feel like I would. And I don't know why, I haven't actually attempted sisyphus's feat and im sure it might change my perception. but as of right now I wouldn't mind it. Any thoughts on Sisyphus?
I like Camus, as an existentialist, he saw life as quite absurd, and wrote some really good books IMO.
He died in a car accident in his early 40s. Think he may have ben a bit too negative and pessimistic...

Don't think it was an accident.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
04-04-2012, 10:18 PM
(03-04-2012 10:49 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(01-04-2012 07:29 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I'm in love with Gwyneth Paltrow. That's pretty dang absurd. Wink
Especially since Heather Graham is like a younger hotter version.

What!?! Ain't Roonies calling you? I've had about all I'm gonna take of your depreciating comments, snide remarks, self-congratulatory strokefest....

...that's as far as I got before the giggles got me. I love my Gwynnies, she's the best thing ever; if you can't see that, well, you're just a poopyhead. Big Grin

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post