Absurdism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2012, 11:32 PM
RE: Absurdism
(03-04-2012 05:54 AM)Thomas Wrote:  There is no meaning to life so stop thinking that there is.
We are not that important in the short-run and less so in the long-run.
Life is simply an existence to be experienced, nothing more.
There is no meaning, but a meaning is not necessary.
We are here, we exist, and we are conscious of the experience.
Just experience it while you are here, because soon you will not be.

There you go, that's got it.

This is not my signature.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2012, 06:11 AM
I consider myself an absurdist

Absurdism is a philosophical school of thought stating that the efforts of humanity to find inherent meaning will ultimately fail (and hence are absurd), because no such meaning exists, at least in relation to the individual.
An Absurdist is someone who realizes that humanity’s search for meaning is an exercise in futility because life is inherently meaningless and truth is only subjective. Because of this, an Absurdist will conclude that the following list is merely the opinion of the individual who holds them, and are not an inherent trait of the Cosmos:
  • Morals
  • Religion
  • Tradition
  • Philosophy
  • Government
Absurdists tend to be very individualistic, skeptical, and full of parody. Absurdism in no way suggests that we should not find our own personal meaning just because human meaning cannot be found inherently in the universe. Personal meaning is important to the Absurdist. The Absurdism of the early 21st century, known as “NeoAbsurdism”, has come to also include: chaos, anti-style, and anti-genre.
The concept of the absurd has influenced Art, Theology, Music, Theatre, Movies, Literature, Philosophy, and History.

"Praise Sweet Baby Jesus!" - RevJ. Cool

My Sites: www.jesuschristarcade.com - www.facebook.com/jesuschristarcade - Twitter@jesusarcade
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like reverendjeremiah's post
24-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Very interesting. I think I'm an absurdist too.

While life might be absurd (for some) and there might be no meaning, one could say that it makes sense just because it is. Maybe the only sense is that it happens, so we don't have to fully understand why some things go wrong (not encouraging ignorance, though)... and yet, we could make it appear meaningful. It actually helps you to learn acceptance more easily. Drinking Beverage

Reality stinks many times, but there is also a humorous part of it. Gotta have some sense of humor to see it this way. Thumbsup

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin
24-04-2013, 03:41 PM
(01-04-2012 06:04 PM)Indian Wrote:  I was reading Camus's short on sisyphus and it was just so bizarre, but it somehow makes sense. Can you be happy rolling a stone up a mountain knowing it will fall backwards over and over for eternity? I feel like I would. And I don't know why, I haven't actually attempted sisyphus's feat and im sure it might change my perception. but as of right now I wouldn't mind it. Any thoughts on Sisyphus?

Isn't every day at least somewhat Sisyphean?

All of the things we have to do again and again, knowing full well that we will have to do them again and again.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-04-2013, 04:00 PM
I wuz thinking someone made a new thread, but, I see I wuz already here going on about my Gwynnies. Big Grin

Reminds me of my Paul update: perfected in absurdity by god's sufficient comedy. That's me and my Gwynnies all day. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]