Academic credibility

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2013, 02:38 PM
RE: Academic credibility
Academic credibility is hard to assess.
It is hard to find many areas where you don't have academics on both sides of an argument.
So do you go with the majority rules? How much of a majority do you require? 51%, 80%, 95%, 98% ?
I like the scientific method where they are very careful with their experiments, gathering of data and assessment. Where the details are published for all to see. Where many others try their hardest to debunk the assessments, to discredit the experiments and the data.
But of course, it doesn't guarantee the correctness of the prevailing theory. Newton's theory of gravity stood for well over 100 years before Einstein showed up its limitations and replaced it with GR.
When it comes to topics that are much more opinion based then it is even harder to know the truth e.g. Most historians and biblical scholars agree that Jesus existed.
Personally, I find it worth looking into, when established academics make claims. Generally it doesn't take too long too see what their strongest evidence is and what rebuts there are in regards to that evidence. I have assessed for myself that there is very little evidence that Jesus actually existed. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. There is just very little evidence.
But sometimes, its too hard to assess yourself without putting in years of study to understand the underlying tools, e.g. the maths equations, the physics etc.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
16-10-2013, 02:52 PM
(16-10-2013 02:35 PM)kim Wrote:  
(16-10-2013 01:13 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  He does unintentionally raise a point. All the great halls of learning in Europe were begun as seminaries. However now most have moved on to become very secular. If you take the presuppositions that God is real and Christianity is the true faith would the opposite not be true? If reality was exactly as proclaimed by the bible why would there be an inverse correlation between education and religion? As more of reality was discovered would it not bring people closer to God rather than push it further and further away into the few remaining gaps? Makes one wonder.

Doesn't make me wonder, they did the best with what they had at the time. Something Philhellenes wrote sometime back:

Quote:Yes, many of those thinkers to whom I owe my mental freedom were religious, like Newton, a Christian, who believed God made the Earth but who then showed me why the Earth would have formed without a god's help. Or Plank and Schrodinger, two more Christians, who believed God ruled the Universe but showed me how God could not control a single electron. The discoveries these and many other people made, the laws they are famous for, are the very things that make gods getting humans pregnant, or angels whispering to prophets in caves, look infantile. I could never and would never question their intelligence. Their honesty and intellectual consistency are a different matter.

Weird...

I can stand on the shoulders of giants and see what even they seemingly could not.

I'm not against the Creator(s), if they exist, if they ever existed. I'm not against the search for the Creator(s). What blows MY mind is that people think religion has anything to do with it at all.

I can stand on the shoulders of giants and see what even they seemingly could not. That is what a university is for and what academic credibility is supposed to be about. Universities are charged with aiding in the progress of humanity, to strive for a continuously forward moving future, not stagnancy.

It was actually a situation that was caused by the collapse of rome and the early church's own actions. The early church was even more anti-intellectual that the fundies are these days. It is by a quirk of history that the very institute that was responsible for so much lost knowledge (through burning and banning) ended up preserving a small amount of the classical knowledge.

It took the crusades and the gathering of the fragments held by the eastern empire and what was preserved by the Muslim scholars in the Arabian peninsula to begin to reassemble the lost knowledge of the classical world. I still believe the single greatest lose in human history was when the library in Alexandria was burned. So many scrolls, so much knowledge lost forever. We will probably never be able to determine just how much was lost that day.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
16-10-2013, 06:25 PM
I've been in a situation before when my own credentials were questioned. I refuted many of the claims made in a book written by someone who was more qualified than myself. I also showed how the author manufactured evidence. A person questioned whether or not I had ulterior motives for doing so. I guess they thought I was trying to make a name for myself by refuting the author. However, what they didn't realize is that the subject matter was not one that someone could make a career off of. I've studied the subject for at least 5 years, so I consider myself to be somewhat of an expert.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
16-10-2013, 08:01 PM
(16-10-2013 06:25 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I've been in a situation before when my own credentials were questioned. I refuted many of the claims made in a book written by someone who was more qualified than myself. I also showed how the author manufactured evidence. A person questioned whether or not I had ulterior motives for doing so. I guess they thought I was trying to make a name for myself by refuting the author. However, what they didn't realize is that the subject matter was not one that someone could make a career off of. I've studied the subject for at least 5 years, so I consider myself to be somewhat of an expert.

Questioned your motives, instead of evaluating the content and support of you critique. Exactly.
16-10-2013, 08:05 PM
(16-10-2013 01:13 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(16-10-2013 12:57 PM)kim Wrote:  ^^Look at him there ^^... still struggling to convince himself to believe. Drinking Beverage

He does unintentionally raise a point. All the great halls of learning in Europe were begun as seminaries. However now most have moved on to become very secular. If you take the presuppositions that God is real and Christianity is the true faith would the opposite not be true? If reality was exactly as proclaimed by the bible why would there be an inverse correlation between education and religion? As more of reality was discovered would it not bring people closer to God rather than push it further and further away into the few remaining gaps? Makes one wonder.

Good point. The natural direction of scientific inquiry has led higher ed. away from supernatural explanations, instead of the other way 'round.
16-10-2013, 08:36 PM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2013 08:41 PM by GirlyMan.)
(16-10-2013 12:57 PM)kim Wrote:  ^^Look at him there ^^... still struggling to convince himself to believe. Drinking Beverage

He does unintentionally raise a point. All the great halls of learning in Europe were begun as seminaries. However now most have moved on to become very secular. If you take the presuppositions that God is real and Christianity is the true faith would the opposite not be true? If reality was exactly as proclaimed by the bible why would there be an inverse correlation between education and religion? As more of reality was discovered would it not bring people closer to God rather than push it further and further away into the few remaining gaps? Makes one wonder.

The difference between science and religion is that while science is constantly redefining and refining God, religion is stuck in a fuckin' ditch hoping for a tow truck to show up. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
16-10-2013, 08:51 PM
(16-10-2013 08:36 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-10-2013 01:13 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  He does unintentionally raise a point. All the great halls of learning in Europe were begun as seminaries. However now most have moved on to become very secular. If you take the presuppositions that God is real and Christianity is the true faith would the opposite not be true? If reality was exactly as proclaimed by the bible why would there be an inverse correlation between education and religion? As more of reality was discovered would it not bring people closer to God rather than push it further and further away into the few remaining gaps? Makes one wonder.

The difference between science and religion is that while science is constantly redefining and refining God, religion is stuck in a fuckin' ditch hoping for a tow truck to show up. Tongue

"...religion is stuck in a fuckin' ditch hoping for a tow truck to show up."

Over 2000 years examining the same vague, ambiguous concepts from a kabillion different angles. And they gather together to discuss them sometimes several times a week. No wonder there are so many denominations a schisms.
[+] 3 users Like Chopdoc's post
17-10-2013, 12:42 PM

Yes! Right on! 100%...

...unless we actually find prophecies in the scriptures predicting worldwide apostasy at the end of the age. Paul even describes modern secularism well, with people having godliness (positivist and reciprocal ethics) while denying the power of God...

That is to say, the Bible actually forewarns of the gross secularization of the world in the last days.
17-10-2013, 01:04 PM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2013 01:31 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(17-10-2013 12:42 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  

Yes! Right on! 100%...

...unless we actually find prophecies in the scriptures predicting worldwide apostasy at the end of the age. Paul even describes modern secularism well, with people having godliness (positivist and reciprocal ethics) while denying the power of God...

That is to say, the Bible actually forewarns of the gross secularization of the world in the last days.

If YOU actually believe we are in the "last days", then why did you work, publish pamphlets, PAY to send your child to college ?
Hypocrite.
Actually you just revealed your crap to be just that.
IF prophesy refers to *specific* events, then you must be consistent, or you're a dishonest troll. Either Jebus saying "This generation shall not pass away, until all these things are accomplished", actually means something specific, (and I know you're going to rationalize it away) (is he a LESS able prophet than your others ?) , or it doesn't. If you can fudge on what "last days" means, then you can't turn around and claim "proof by prophesy" for other SPECIFIC events, for which you are claiming specificity. You can't have it both ways. Which is it SPJTJ ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
17-10-2013, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2013 03:55 PM by Question.)
You don't have to have a degree to have a good opinion, in academic settings yes but on the internet showing a masterful knowledge of the content and being able to back your findings is good enough. But quite frankly I trust those who specialize and have spent hours and hours of their life on the subject more.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.