Acceptance?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2013, 02:18 PM
Acceptance?
I was in high school in a psychology class. We started talking about things regarding how people will vote in a poll and might not choose their genuine answer if they knew it might single them out. (Something like that.) Anyway, this girl got to be the person to tally the results. *IGNORE THE FACT THAT THIS WAS A SCHOOL SETTING FOR A MINUTE!*
One of the questions was "Do you believe in angels?" Everyone answered and there were maybe 20 people including the teacher. EVERYONE answered yes, they do believe in angels. All but 1. That was me. There were boys that had that fake personality that would say didn't believe later on and they were the one who was different. Liars. I never to this day said it was me.

The girl was writing the tally and said, "Everyone believes! Next question." The teacher said there was one 'no.' The girl replied, "Who cares?! The majority said yes so that doesn't count." I found that was the day I really became a devout "nonbeliever." How can someone who claims to be faithful act like my belief wasn't important?.

Thought?

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2013, 02:32 PM
RE: Acceptance?
(05-02-2013 02:18 PM)59pEaNUt89 Wrote:  I was in high school in a psychology class. We started talking about things regarding how people will vote in a poll and might not choose their genuine answer if they knew it might single them out. (Something like that.) Anyway, this girl got to be the person to tally the results. *IGNORE THE FACT THAT THIS WAS A SCHOOL SETTING FOR A MINUTE!*
One of the questions was "Do you believe in angels?" Everyone answered and there were maybe 20 people including the teacher. EVERYONE answered yes, they do believe in angels. All but 1. That was me. There were boys that had that fake personality that would say didn't believe later on and they were the one who was different. Liars. I never to this day said it was me.

The girl was writing the tally and said, "Everyone believes! Next question." The teacher said there was one 'no.' The girl replied, "Who cares?! The majority said yes so that doesn't count." I found that was the day I really became a devout "nonbeliever." How can someone who claims to be faithful act like my belief wasn't important?.

Thought?

The teacher did not comment on that girl's stupidity?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
05-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Committing an argumentum ad populum is a common tactic for somebody whose commitment to their own beliefs draws more reinforcement from its popularity among those they surround themselves with rather than from any inherent truth values present within the belief itself. That's why she overlooked the one dissenting voice.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
05-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Congratulaions! Of all the people in that class your belief is the only one grounded in reality. I, for one, would rather talk to you than anyone else in that room.

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.” ~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
05-02-2013, 10:04 PM
Children are malleable and fragile. You can't expect them to fight against their peers, their teachers, their parents, their community, which I assume are religious and follow one of the popular Abrahamic religions. I have nothing but pity and regret for them.

Your teacher on the other hand is an independent adult with access to all the free educational material they want. I have nothing but contempt and open hostility towards them.

All I can say is that don't allow others to intimidate you, stand up for reality and reason. But above all, don't feel depressed or become an outcast. Live your life fully and happily as you can in that environment, without sacrificing reality or reason.
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
05-02-2013, 10:24 PM
It was so many years ago already. I just had that feeling of awakening. (however cheesy that sounds, I don't care.) I came into my own sense of understanding or path to understanding the world around me that year. It felt so good to be an individual. I don't let others make me doubt myself because I never just blatantly blow off someone else's religious beliefs. I am still respectful and let them believe what they want because that's what I want in return.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King