Accidentally in love with a Christian friend who's leaving for Africa in 2 days

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2014, 09:50 AM
RE: Accidentally in love with a Christian friend who's leaving for Africa in 2 days
(09-08-2014 05:00 AM)morondog Wrote:  Where's she going, out of interest? Us merry Africans tend to export missionaries to Europe these days, there's no lack of Christians over here. I reckon there's an oversupply.

She's going to Niger to teach at a Christian school as her primary job. She will be teaching math and English to children. She had to raise over $10,000 just to go, and the school doesn't pay their teachers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2014, 10:02 AM
RE: Accidentally in love with a Christian friend who's leaving for Africa in 2 days
(09-08-2014 09:50 AM)exPrayerWarrior Wrote:  ...
She will be teaching math and English to children. She had to raise over $10,000 just to go, and the school doesn't pay their teachers.

Sounds like it'll be life-changing for her. I wish her luck.

Oh! A thought... is it going to be christian maths? I'm told they believe that ...
3 = 1
and
5 + 2 = 5000.

Laugh out load

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
09-08-2014, 01:39 PM
(09-08-2014 09:50 AM)exPrayerWarrior Wrote:  
(09-08-2014 05:00 AM)morondog Wrote:  Where's she going, out of interest? Us merry Africans tend to export missionaries to Europe these days, there's no lack of Christians over here. I reckon there's an oversupply.

She's going to Niger to teach at a Christian school as her primary job. She will be teaching math and English to children. She had to raise over $10,000 just to go, and the school doesn't pay their teachers.

She sounds like a wonderful person. That is a good, positive thing she's doing - if the gift comes wrapped in some mumbo-jumbo, at least the kids'll be getting some free education. Hard thing to do. Well done to her.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
09-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Wow ! this girl live really in her illusion to go in Niger.
Does she speak a local language or French that
is official language ?

I ask you that because I think that she doesn't know the danger.
This is better to know a language who can help her to communicate with the local population in case of problem.
[+] 2 users Like viocjit's post
10-08-2014, 12:49 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2014 01:27 AM by WhiskeyDebates.)
Nobody leaves the world wishing they had taken less chances and made a smaller effort. In my experience it's best to ALWAYS tell someone, to thine own self be true and all that jazz, and the reason is this. The longer you wait to tell the person the more you build them up in your head until you get to the point where rejection becomes less "two people who just want different things" and more a "total assault on everything you value in life and how can you go on without this one (in 3.5 billion) girl."

Take that with a grain of salt though, I have an almost pathological lack of any fear of rejection. It's kinda weird.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
10-08-2014, 01:27 AM
(09-08-2014 09:03 PM)viocjit Wrote:  Wow ! this girl live really in her illusion to go in Niger.
Does she speak a local language or French that
is official language ?

I ask you that because I think that she doesn't know the danger.
This is better to know a language who can help her to communicate with the local population in case of problem.

She does speak French, and she has been there once before on a missionary trip. What upsets me is her full awareness of the dangers, and when I asked her about them, she just knows God wants her to be there and if she dies or something bad happens, she knows she will be in heaven. I understand the selflessness of what she is doing, but it just sickens me that she is sacrificing things that she wants out of life because she thinks God wants her there.

Well the moment came today, the last time I'll probably ever see her again. I couldn't bring myself to tell her. She's such a wonderful person, I just couldn't let her go away feeling bad for having to turn me down. We've been such good friends for so long I really didn't want to compromise that for me or for her, especially when she's going to be alone around so much suffering. I don't have to live the rest of my life wondering what if because I know in my heart that she will never be with someone who doesn't share her same passion for Jesus.
[+] 3 users Like exPrayerWarrior's post
10-08-2014, 01:30 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2014 01:34 AM by DLJ.)
(10-08-2014 01:27 AM)exPrayerWarrior Wrote:  ...
I don't have to live the rest of my life wondering

In that case, you made a wise choice. It's the regret that tears us apart.

Hug

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
16-08-2014, 03:01 AM
(09-08-2014 12:25 AM)DLJ Wrote:  We more often regret what we don't do rather than what we do (apart from the illegal stuff).

I say tell her.

Her circle of friends won't be joining her in Africa, will they?

Apart from which, spreading the lie of christianity to more Africans is a crime against humanity ... is it not your duty to sow some doubt before she leaves?

Christianity is not a lie. It is the utmost truth which ordinary mind cannot comprehend. Do tell her because you will never make a good couple. You have different origin. May be you too can take the risk of accepting her God and see whether there wouldn't be difference in your life.
16-08-2014, 10:46 PM
Just tell her you will marry her if she comes back alive.
17-08-2014, 05:06 AM
(16-08-2014 03:01 AM)Oyetunde Wrote:  Christianity is not a lie. It is the utmost truth which ordinary mind cannot comprehend. Do tell her because you will never make a good couple. You have different origin. May be you too can take the risk of accepting her God and see whether there wouldn't be difference in your life.

Rolleyes

God has a new defender on the internet. What a pansy. Drinking Beverage

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post