Accidentally outed myself at work

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2015, 10:35 PM
Accidentally outed myself at work
Well, now I've done it! I'm know at work for not being religious, but haven't used the "A-word". A while back, I was typing an e-mail with a receptionist sitting over my shoulder reading off the e-mail addresses to me. I was typing in one that started with the first few letters as the local meetup group, and the atheist group email address with atheist in the title popped up for a second. I wasn't sure if she saw it or not. Nothing was said, and I had pretty much forgotten about it.

This weekend, I was in the office after hours doing some paper work, and decided to print out the emailed receipt for meetup dues because I kept forgetting to do it at home. Well, I got busy and never took it out of the printer. I forgot all about it, and today when I came into work, it was sitting in my box. Shit! There is NO way she didn't see it. It clearly said ATHEIST MEETUP at the top. There is no way she read it well enough to figure out whose box it went in without seeing what it was. She put it facedown in the box, so clearly she was also attempting to maintain discretion. She didn't say anything. A number of people in the office are fairly religious. I'm not sure if she is or not. I have never heard her speak about religion. I'm not worried about any repercussions job wise, but I know how gossip works, and I do worry about some people treating me differently. Well, it is what it is. Can't change it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes beeglez's post
16-03-2015, 11:03 PM
RE: Accidentally outed myself at work
Good luck!! Blush

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
16-03-2015, 11:29 PM
Just talk to her about it - tell her it's not something you're comfortable with the office knowing about, as there are several fairly religious coworkers that could misinterpret your viewpoints and treat you differently.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
17-03-2015, 05:09 AM
ignore it.

if you bring it up, she has something to hold on you.
if she gossips, they will be looking at you waiting for you to burn a cross or eat a baby or something. They will eventually get bored waiting.

at this point, she cant say anything without admiting she is a snoop and sticking her nose in other peoples business.

she doesnt know that you have figured it out. She thinks she has a secret.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
17-03-2015, 05:13 AM
Hmmm....

Spread the rumor that you're gay.. (unless of course you're gay - in which case you spread the rumor that you're straight)....

Disinformation is your ally.

And, people always prefer gossip that involves squishing body parts, rather than belief or non-belief of invisible buddies..

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
17-03-2015, 05:15 AM
Her discretion should reassure you.

Either she realises the delicacy of the situation / potential repercussions and/or she may be an atheist herself.

Either way, the main question is... is she cute?

If so ... thank her for being discrete and leave it there until she make the next move.
If not ... do nothing.

Big Grin

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
17-03-2015, 08:45 AM
(17-03-2015 05:13 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Hmmm....

Spread the rumor that you're gay.. (unless of course you're gay - in which case you spread the rumor that you're straight)....

Disinformation is your ally.

And, people always prefer gossip that involves squishing body parts, rather than belief or non-belief of invisible buddies..

Big Grin

That's what governments do. Thumbsup

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

17-03-2015, 08:50 AM
(17-03-2015 05:15 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Her discretion should reassure you.

Either she realises the delicacy of the situation / potential repercussions and/or she may be an atheist herself.

Either way, the main question is... is she cute?

If so ... thank her for being discrete and leave it there until she make the next move.
If not ... do nothing.

Big Grin

It's a shared secret. Love is in the air. Heart
17-03-2015, 09:52 AM
(17-03-2015 05:15 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Either way, the main question is... is she cute?

DLJ: always to the point about the important questions.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
17-03-2015, 10:11 AM
Wouldn't that be great if she showed up at the meeting?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac