Accidentally outed myself at work

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2015, 10:42 AM
RE: Accidentally outed myself at work
There's no way we can compete with you guys. Seriously, if the people I worked with knew I was Atheist, there wouldn't be much reaction. The Muslims would be more scandalised.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2015, 09:11 PM
So far, it seems to be a non-issue. No one is behaving any differently. They know I'm not religious. I'm very open about not going to church, and not basing my politics or personal beliefs on religious texts. We're a very casual small business, and generally like each other despite the gossip mill. We all know each other, and they know I'm a good person. I'm trying to look at in in a positive way. Maybe some of them didn't know they knew an atheist, and if they know I am one, they'll know we don't eat babies or rip heads off kittens. Fortunately, I could stand in the middle of the building and shout out "There is no god!!!" and wouldn't have to worry about being fired. The boss is a Christian, but also values me both professionally and as a person. She also is smart enough to realize a person can't be fired over lack of religion. Thanks for the support and advice.
[+] 1 user Likes beeglez's post
17-03-2015, 09:27 PM
It's funny, because for some reason, being 'not religious' is one thing, but the 'a-word' is another thing entirely. Some people don't even know what atheist means. When I told my family, reactions varied from genuine curiosity to pretending it didn't exist to sobbing as if I'd just announced I was dying. My uncle, who isn't really the best at active listening made some jokes, then started fiddling with his phone and talking about firearms (a mutual interest of ours). At one point, something I said made it dawn on him, and he said "So wait. You don't believe in God, like at all?!" I said "No", and he said "Wow, that is pretty intense". Despite my having used the word 'atheist' very clearly, and telling those interested about my deconversion, he just didn't fully grasp what I meant at first.
18-03-2015, 12:01 AM
(17-03-2015 05:09 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  ignore it.

if you bring it up, she has something to hold on you.
if she gossips, they will be looking at you waiting for you to burn a cross or eat a baby or something. They will eventually get bored waiting.

at this point, she cant say anything without admiting she is a snoop and sticking her nose in other peoples business.

she doesnt know that you have figured it out. She thinks she has a secret.

No, nothing as sinister as that. She's a receptionist, so part of her job duties include sorting mail, faxes, and things left on the printer or copy machine to be sure they get to the right person. Putting it in my box was entirely appropriate.

Though it would be funny next time someone asks what I'm having for lunch to say "I'm not sure. I haven't had baby in a while, but I'm kind of craving leftover goat from my sacrifice to Satan last night.
[+] 1 user Likes beeglez's post