Account Closing and Post Editing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2013, 04:07 AM
RE: Account Closing and Post Editing
(07-04-2013 11:54 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Oh please remove the edit function!

oooO0O0O0Ooooh! Bitchy!

(07-04-2013 08:33 PM)Anjele Wrote:  What about a time limit on edits? Sometimes people post personal things that they may think better of later. Just a thought.

I thought there was. This is great news.

I have just gone back to edit a post I made over 10 months ago.

Writing a love-poem and spelling the girl's name wrong was simply bad form.

Now, all is right with the world.

Big Grin

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
08-04-2013, 08:27 AM
(08-04-2013 03:30 AM)Egor Wrote:  I probably don't have to tell you this, but Dr. X is not mentally stable, not in my opinion. He can rarely hold a thought together to even make a cogent post. He followed me over here from the skeptic forum as adenosis said, and over there, he acts and posts the same way. I rarely ever even acknowledge him.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
09-04-2013, 06:18 PM
(07-04-2013 11:05 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  I think it's better to impose some kind of time limit on post editing. That would reliably limit future occurrences.

I don't like that idea, Deep, unless you make it sufficiently long like days to a week or more. I edit my posts frequently, sometimes days later, when I notice typos or grammatical mistakes. They don't bother me when others make them, but they bother the shit out of me when I make them and I feel compelled to correct them, like OCD-compelled.

And I don't think it would have much impact on thread vandalization. First there have been very few instances of abuse of the edit feature that I've seen here. And second, given how many photos and images some of us have posted here, all they'd have to do for the "nuclear vandal option" is change their photobucket (or whatever) links and it'd be a hell of a mess to clean up, probably not even possible in many cases. There's not much you can do to prevent someone from being a dick once they got it in their head to be one. Sometimes all you can really do is let them show their true colors, let them be a dick, and let them live with the label. ... I don't think the system's broke, so I don't think it needs fixing. ... Just my $0.02.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-04-2013, 06:56 PM
(08-04-2013 03:30 AM)Egor Wrote:  I probably don't have to tell you this, but Dr. X is not mentally stable, not in my opinion. He can rarely hold a thought together to even make a cogent post. He followed me over here from the skeptic forum as adenosis said, and over there, he acts and posts the same way. I rarely ever even acknowledge him.

Just in case you forget, here is a 10 minute loop to drill it into your head.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post
09-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Just a suggestion.......

Amendment to rules:

Rule #3642, part C, section 21.4

Editing posts is a privelige. It is intended to make small corrections to posts. It is NOT to be used to change the message of a post in any way. When posts meanings are changed, it interrupts the flow of conversation, and confuses responses made to the original. This is considered vandalism.

Should it come to the attention of the forum team that the edit feature is being abused, that users edit function will be immediately suspended. The reason for this "suspend first, discuss after" approach is simply to prevent potential vandalism from getting worse, and to ensure everyone is treated fairly and equally. Such an issue can almost always be cleared up very quickly, so it's nothing that should be taken too seriously.

If it is discovered that the edit function has, in fact, been abused, the forum administration will determine what further action should be taken (for example, permanent suspension of edit function, banning, 67 lashings, time out in the naughty chair...)

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
09-04-2013, 08:52 PM
(09-04-2013 08:33 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Just a suggestion.......

Amendment to rules:

Editing posts is a privelige. It is intended to make small corrections to posts. It is NOT to be used to change the message of a post in any way. When posts meanings are changed, it interrupts the flow of conversation, and confuses responses made to the original. This is considered vandalism.

Should it come to the attention of the forum team that the edit feature is being abused, that users edit function will be immediately suspended. The reason for this "suspend first, discuss after" approach is simply to prevent potential vandalism from getting worse, and to ensure everyone is treated fairly and equally. Such an issue can almost always be cleared up very quickly, so it's nothing that should be taken too seriously.

If it is discovered that the edit function has, in fact, been abused, the forum administration will determine what further action should be taken (for example, permanent suspension of edit function, banning, 67 lashings, time out in the naughty chair...)

You know how Girly hates rules and censorship, Stark. That said, even though it still would have no effect on the "nuclear vandalism photobucket option", I wouldn't even notice it. Stopped reading the rules as soon as they started to dick with yours. Tongue

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
09-04-2013, 08:54 PM
(09-04-2013 08:33 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Just a suggestion.......

Amendment to rules:

...or any combination of these as the forum Supreme Board of Fascist Overseers deems necessary. Big Grin

I think edit should be limited to 24 hrs or less for all but the forum team.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-04-2013, 09:02 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2013 09:07 PM by DeepThought.)
(09-04-2013 06:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(07-04-2013 11:05 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  I think it's better to impose some kind of time limit on post editing. That would reliably limit future occurrences.

I don't like that idea, Deep, unless you make it sufficiently long like days to a week or more. I edit my posts frequently, sometimes days later, when I notice typos or grammatical mistakes. They don't bother me when others make them, but they bother the shit out of me when I make them and I feel compelled to correct them, like OCD-compelled.

And I don't think it would have much impact on thread vandalization. First there have been very few instances of abuse of the edit feature that I've seen here. And second, given how many photos and images some of us have posted here, all they'd have to do for the "nuclear vandal option" is change their photobucket (or whatever) links and it'd be a hell of a mess to clean up, probably not even possible in many cases. There's not much you can do to prevent someone from being a dick once they got it in their head to be one. Sometimes all you can really do is let them show their true colors, let them be a dick, and let them live with the label. ... I don't think the system's broke, so I don't think it needs fixing. ... Just my $0.02.

I'm pretty sure photobucket doesn't give its users complete control over the image url. There is always a unique component to the URL so it can't be swapped for another image. The only thing they could do is make the links invalid. The post text would still remain. It's not near as bad as deleting an entire post.

I was considering running a script that would download images and host them on a server I have control over. The image links converted automatically...

Never come close to implementation though...

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
09-04-2013, 09:03 PM
(09-04-2013 06:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

What Girly said plus I'd like you all to know that since I continue to reach my limit of space on attachments I've had to go back and delete some of the past attachments to make space for new ones. When you go back to my old posts the images are gone. I didn't "vandalize" them because I wanted to but because I had to (or so I think). I'm I going to go to hell over this?

***Sorry, I just had to edit this post Big Grin

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
09-04-2013, 09:32 PM
(09-04-2013 09:03 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I didn't "vandalize" them because I wanted to but because I had to (or so I think). I'm I going to go to hell over this?
Are you wearing polyester? Drinking Beverage

------------

What Stark said. And make the naughty chair have handcuffs. Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]