Account Closing and Post Editing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2013, 09:49 PM
RE: Account Closing and Post Editing
(09-04-2013 09:32 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(09-04-2013 09:03 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I didn't "vandalize" them because I wanted to but because I had to (or so I think). I'm I going to go to hell over this?
Are you wearing polyester? Drinking Beverage

Maybe...

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
09-04-2013, 09:59 PM
(09-04-2013 08:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  I think edit should be limited to 24 hrs or less for all but the forum team.

I also think 24 hours seems reasonable.

Besides, should anyone need to edit a post after that they can always PM a member of the FT to edit it for them.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
09-04-2013, 10:02 PM
(09-04-2013 09:59 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(09-04-2013 08:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  I think edit should be limited to 24 hrs or less for all but the forum team.

I also think 24 hours seems reasonable.

Besides, should anyone need to edit a post after that they can always PM a member of the FT to edit it for them.

Be sure to make it very clear what counts as a reason PM'ing for editing.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
09-04-2013, 10:14 PM
Hey, how about a maximum number of edits per day, say, something like 5 maybe. Or maybe 2 edits per hour, or maybe impose at least 15 minutes between every edit? Instead of time limits on editing.

That way everyone can have their cake and edit it too. People can edit love poems they wrote last year, people can edit the post they just made, people can even vandalize a limited number of their own posts.

Kind of like the way some forums limit the Search function to stop people from running countless back-to-back DB queries.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
09-04-2013, 10:24 PM
I edit my posts dozens of times a day, usually within five minutes, occasionally a day or two later, to correct spelling and grammar mistakes, to round out points that I felt I didn't support correctly, to add an additional paragraph or two, etc. Once or twice to fix massive screw-ups. Limiting the number of times one can edit their posts seems a bit... drastic. And certainly inconvenient.

Plus in general, forums with those types of restrictions... Generally start heading down the path of moderation overload, and eventually authoritarianism. Just sayin'... It makes me uncomfortable. The freedom we're given on this forum is one of the main reasons I stick around.

^ that was an edit btw

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 5 users Like Phaedrus's post
09-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Re: Account Closing and Post Editing
Reading through this whole thread, I'm somewhat alarmed. Are we really so anxious to limit ourselves on this forum in the face of a rare and minor inconvenience? Isn't that like shooting the cow because some of the milk went sour?

Before we talk about time limits or editing restrictions I think we should ask ourselves whether one or two rare assholes are so large a concern that we need to take action anyway.
[+] 4 users Like Phaedrus's post
09-04-2013, 10:59 PM
(09-04-2013 10:47 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Reading through this whole thread, I'm somewhat alarmed. Are we really so anxious to limit ourselves on this forum in the face of a rare and minor inconvenience? Isn't that like shooting the cow because some of the milk went sour?

Before we talk about time limits or editing restrictions I think we should ask ourselves whether one or two rare assholes are so large a concern that we need to take action anyway.

That's kinda what I was thinking...but fuck it. Bunch of monkeys fucking a football is all we have.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

09-04-2013, 11:30 PM
(09-04-2013 10:02 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Be sure to make it very clear what counts as a reason PM'ing for editing.

Personally I'm not fussed what the reason is. Literally anything other than to vandalise posts is fine with me.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
10-04-2013, 12:07 AM
Another edit is allowed after 15 or 30 seconds, which will be good enough. This already could make it a lot harder if someone wants to delete all his/her posts. He/she will get bored and frustrated very quickly if the forum keeps saying 'wait. not now.' to him/her.

I think we should move step by step. From edit at free will to no editing after XX hours is a huge distance.

I edited this post 5 times already. What am I gonna do if no editing is allowed?

Want something? Then do something.
10-04-2013, 12:46 AM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 12:54 AM by DeepThought.)
Most people are done with their posts within 3 days. Say the edit timeout was set to 3 days. Would anyone notice?

Seriously think about it.

I don't buy the slippery slope argument either. Yes one or 2 assholes have the power to vandalise too many threads. It destroys continuity and is a good enough reason to limit the damage.

My argument is most reasonable people don't need to edit their posts after 3 days. If you want to amend something after that you can reply to your previous post and put amendments in there.

If you are having an online debate this to some degree helps keep it honest as well.

I have 1860 posts in this forum. I'm not going back to edit them. If there are mistakes, too bad.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 3 users Like DeepThought's post