Account Closing and Post Editing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2013, 05:33 AM
RE: Account Closing and Post Editing
My two cents (not that it will matter, I'm pretty sure the forum team will do what they want) - I really don't see how two cases of such vandalising (that I know of, and I wasn't even here for the first one) constitute reason enough for such a major change. I've always loved the editing freedom we get here.

And yeah, most people (don't see how reasonableness enters into it, but whatever) rarely have a reason to edit their posts after a certain amount of time. And then again, they may stumble upon an older post of theirs (thread gets resurrected, what have you) and see something they got wrong, a mistake they made, etc. (I know it looks silly to a lot of you, but stuff like this drives me insane and I like how now I'm able to correct it if I so choose). Hell, they may even add to their post from the perspective of time that has passed, without having to make an entirely new one.

To me, this all looks like a storm in a teacup. One guy went overboard and now the forum team is considering major changes. Like I said, whatever, but it looks like a major overreaction.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
10-04-2013, 06:19 AM
This is just fucking stupid. Why'd I come back here, again? Oh, yeah...

I love my Gwynnies! Heart

Someone goes through the trouble to delete their posts, they just look luike an asshole; and in that case, who wants to hear what they have to say anyway? I think you clowns just want more Authority in my little non-life... Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-04-2013, 06:51 AM
(10-04-2013 12:46 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  Most people are done with their posts within 3 days. Say the edit timeout was set to 3 days. Would anyone notice?

Seriously think about it.

How many people here have been reading old threads recently and got upset when they found the discontinuity caused by Red Celt's deletion of his content?

Seriously think about it.

Anyone?

Thought not.

So the forum has a few old scars.

So what?

Shows that it's lived in.

Angel

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
10-04-2013, 06:52 AM
(10-04-2013 06:19 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  This is just fucking stupid. Why'd I come back here, again? Oh, yeah...

I love my Gwynnies! Heart

Someone goes through the trouble to delete their posts, they just look luike an asshole; and in that case, who wants to hear what they have to say anyway? I think you clowns just want more Authority in my little non-life... Dodgy

Yes, this is just another case of violent statism.
We control the horizontal; we control the vertical.

Don't pay any attention the the man behind the curtain.Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-04-2013, 06:57 AM
I said "luike." And in protest, I refuse to edit it. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
10-04-2013, 07:20 AM
Just leave it like it is, it's fine.
Free speech and all that shit.

If people want to go back and edit their posts to "vandalize" a thread then that's their free speech right to do so.
If people have a problem with a certain post and want it to be seen by all they can always quote it before whoever edits it anyway.
Most posts that are vital to the conversation are usually quoted anyway. If it's not quoted then it's probably not that important to the flow of the thread for very long.
AND besides, one person doesn't always dictate the tone/conversation of the thread and you can usually make out what is being said by reading only a few peoples posts or parts of posts etc.. anyway.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
10-04-2013, 07:59 AM
Just because you don't edit old posts, does that mean that ability should necessarily be limited?

When looking at new rules (or new legislation for that matter...) I think there are three considerations that need to be made.

1. Is it necessary?
- That is, does it address some urgent need that most people would agree needs to be addressed? How much better or worse would the world/country/forum be with or without this rule?
2. Is it reasonable?
- Does it interfere unduly with the rights or lives of ordinary people?
3. Is it effective?
- Will it effectively and substantially improve the situation, relative to the amount of time/effort/money it takes to implement?

These talks about editing restrictions, I think completely fail to satisfy #1, and arguably fail #2.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
10-04-2013, 08:04 AM
In thinking about this I have to say that I think the situation recently was handled fine. There really aren't that many instances where someone goes back and edits a bunch of their posts. A notice by the powers that be was plenty in that situation.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
10-04-2013, 08:12 AM
(10-04-2013 05:33 AM)Vera Wrote:  My two cents (not that it will matter, I'm pretty sure the forum team will do what they want) - I really don't see how two cases of such vandalising (that I know of, and I wasn't even here for the first one) constitute reason enough for such a major change. I've always loved the editing freedom we get here.

And yeah, most people (don't see how reasonableness enters into it, but whatever) rarely have a reason to edit their posts after a certain amount of time. And then again, they may stumble upon an older post of theirs (thread gets resurrected, what have you) and see something they got wrong, a mistake they made, etc. (I know it looks silly to a lot of you, but stuff like this drives me insane and I like how now I'm able to correct it if I so choose). Hell, they may even add to their post from the perspective of time that has passed, without having to make an entirely new one.

To me, this all looks like a storm in a teacup. One guy went overboard and now the forum team is considering major changes. Like I said, whatever, but it looks like a major overreaction.

You misspelled a word on your post...

just kidding Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
10-04-2013, 08:16 AM
Realistically why would anyone have the need to edit a post after a few days? A month? A year?. A few days seems more than fair.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]