Accurate rates for atheists in the US?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2016, 11:16 AM
Accurate rates for atheists in the US?
I am curious about the number of people who self-identify as atheist in America.

Can anyone cite some statistics?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2016, 11:23 AM
RE: Accurate rates for atheists in the US?
Google is your friend. Don't be lazy.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
26-10-2016, 11:25 AM
I think whatever you find, the results are apt to be skewed due to the fact that there are many undercover atheists in the US. Wink
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
26-10-2016, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2016 11:42 AM by ShadowProject.)
(26-10-2016 11:23 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Google is your friend. Don't be lazy.

Actually, I have a healthy distrust of most google results when it comes to religion. Those 'right-wingers' are very good at bumping search results so they push people toward their indoctrination websites.

And no, I don't need a tinfoil hat. I just REALLY don't trust religious people with an agenda.

I was sort of hoping someone who has done some actual research on the topic may have some non-biased sources they could cite.

I have read there are more and more people declaring they are atheist, but in my own life, I am not seeing this. Maybe I need to talk to more young (college-aged) people though.
26-10-2016, 11:39 AM
Case in point - I just googled it and 5th search result down:

"Atheism and Mass Murder - Conservapedia
http://www.conservapedia.com/Atheism_and_Mass_Murder
Conservapedia
Joseph Stalin's atheistic regime killed tens of millions of people. ... Although Communism is one of the most well-known cases of atheism's ties to mass murder, ..."
26-10-2016, 11:52 AM
(26-10-2016 11:37 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  
(26-10-2016 11:23 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Google is your friend. Don't be lazy.

Actually, I have a healthy distrust of most google results when it comes to religion. Those 'right-wingers' are very good at bumping search results so they push people toward their indoctrination websites.

And no, I don't need a tinfoil hat. I just REALLY don't trust religious people with an agenda.

I was sort of hoping someone who has done some actual research on the topic may have some non-biased sources they could cite.

I have read there are more and more people declaring they are atheist, but in my own life, I am not seeing this. Maybe I need to talk to more young (college-aged) people though.

The Pew Center is probably more reliable. They should have something.
http://www.pewresearch.org/

I have to go to a meeting ... I'll look later.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
26-10-2016, 12:03 PM
We have a poll that should be ongoing counting our members by being open atheists and closeted ones. You'll get an idea of how accurate any poll you find can be - so many people in the closet.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...the-closet

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
26-10-2016, 03:18 PM
Reliable stats are difficult to find because the answer can be strongly biased depending on exactly how the pollster words the question.

That said, Google really will be your friend. You'll have to screen the results of course but you should get a reasonable range.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
26-10-2016, 03:39 PM
Approximately 98.3365940% of Conservapedia articles are written from a conservative US, Young Earth creationist, and Christian fundamentalist point of view.

Totally ignorable.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
26-10-2016, 03:51 PM
Australian stats from our 2011 Federal census (Australian Bureau of Statistics, 21 June 2012):

Christian = 61.1% (cf. 73% in 1986)
Atheist = 22.3% (cf. 12.7% in 1986)
Not stated = 9.4%
Other religions = 7.2% (including 0.3% Jedi)

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post