Accurate rates for atheists in the US?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2016, 08:35 PM
RE: Accurate rates for atheists in the US?
Probably higher than is thought. A lot of atheists are closeted. And do these polls account for people under 18? Younger generations seem to be less religious. It would be interesting to get accurate percentages. ^^
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like AnaBunny's post
26-10-2016, 08:46 PM
Actually before you ask that question, you should probably define what you mean by it, when asking it, and what does "atheism" mean to the person being asked ?
If they say they "believe in god", what does that actually mean ?
A being ? "God is *love*" ? What do they mean when they *say* they do or don't believe in a god ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
26-10-2016, 09:27 PM
Between the 2010 census and now, 3 of the 5 people in our household have declared themselves to be atheists. Not captured in the census, yet. If the census people ask my wife what the religious beliefs of the household are in 2020, she'll give 5 for Catholic, no matter what the belief/unbelief facts are.
27-10-2016, 08:13 AM
So stats are all over the damn place. lol
And then I fell down the rabbit hole of reading about people who stopped believing in god and couldn't really 'come out' in their community.

I do think many atheists are quiet, so who knows how many of us there really are.
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
25-11-2016, 03:28 AM
I prefer the term nontheist.
25-11-2016, 11:42 AM
Here's a good place to start:

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/05/12/ameri...landscape/

As of their 2014 survey, people who self-identified as atheists stood at 3.1% of the population and growing fast.
25-11-2016, 11:49 AM
(25-11-2016 11:42 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  Here's a good place to start:

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/05/12/ameri...landscape/

As of their 2014 survey, people who self-identified as atheists stood at 3.1% of the population and growing fast.

I can not help but feel that the poll is somewhat biased, just like the poll that says 40% of Americans are creationists. I just you know, have that feeling.
25-11-2016, 12:03 PM
(26-10-2016 08:35 PM)AnaBunny Wrote:  Probably higher than is thought. A lot of atheists are closeted. And do these polls account for people under 18? Younger generations seem to be less religious. It would be interesting to get accurate percentages. ^^

So there is hope...

Thumbsup

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
25-11-2016, 02:51 PM
(25-11-2016 12:03 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(26-10-2016 08:35 PM)AnaBunny Wrote:  Probably higher than is thought. A lot of atheists are closeted. And do these polls account for people under 18? Younger generations seem to be less religious. It would be interesting to get accurate percentages. ^^

So there is hope...

Thumbsup

I agree with this statement especially after the last election, the anger and disillusionment among many of they younger voters, 18-25 years old really made me realize that they are much more liberal and less religious than the older voters, it's just too bad so many stayed home, thought it was rigged or just hated both candidates.

Hopefully we can see a shift in the next four years, the right will become more conservative but the left will become more liberal, less religious, and more involved and passionate, I think they just needed a wake up call. I think in the next couple of Census polling updates we will see more non-religious numbers going up and the evangelical numbers going down, fingers crossed but it will take a few decades to see a real shift.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
27-11-2016, 10:18 AM
[Image: reverts2.jpg]