Acharya S Died Xmas day from cancer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2015, 05:38 AM
Acharya S Died Xmas day from cancer.
I could only find a memorial FB page here.

https://www.facebook.com/events/960233097363265/

And her wiki article was updated to denote her day of death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acharya_S

I had the pleasure of her tweeting me links about the history of Buddhism and the superstitions in it.

She had lots of critics, but she also had lots of supporters.

Here is the link to the recording of her memorial.

http://www.mythicistmilwaukee.com/mythic...-acharya-s

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2015, 06:49 AM
RE: Acharya S Died Xmas day from cancer.
I read her book 'The Christ Conspiracy, The Greatest Story Ever Sold' years ago and that's what put me on the path to find other books.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
28-12-2015, 07:26 AM
Quite the day to die.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
28-12-2015, 07:52 AM
(28-12-2015 07:26 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Quite the day to die.

Ironic maybe, but considering 50 million humans on average die every year, remember that she wasn't the only one that died that day.

I do think however she would also see the irony in it.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
28-12-2015, 07:54 AM

The sick part is that there are nuts who would claim her death on that day was punishment from god. UGGGGGGG!

They might as well claim Yoda punished her.

28-12-2015, 07:54 AM
(28-12-2015 07:52 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  

Ironic maybe, but considering 50 million humans on average die every year, remember that she wasn't the only one that died that day.

Mate I think of death everyday. I have a terminal illness only held in check by the wonders of science. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
28-12-2015, 08:04 AM
(28-12-2015 07:54 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(28-12-2015 07:52 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Ironic maybe, but considering 50 million humans on average die every year, remember that she wasn't the only one that died that day.

Mate I think of death everyday. I have a terminal illness only held in check by the wonders of science. Smile

Well Sagan and even Shakespeare recognized the futility of life. You are terminal at birth, you grow a bit, but the other side of that hilltop is oblivion. Some sickos think that means it is lack of morals or doomsday. Religion really does a great job of scaring people away from mundane reality.

Fearing a fictional afterlife is needless, it is like fearing your pre-birth. Nobody fears the afterlife of a tree or cockroach. Accepting our finite nature also does not mean we are immoral or lawless. It merely means we accept this is the one ride we get.

28-12-2015, 08:05 AM
I' am not going to be cremated, but if I had an urn I would want it to read "Ta Da!"

28-12-2015, 08:15 AM
(28-12-2015 08:04 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(28-12-2015 07:54 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Mate I think of death everyday. I have a terminal illness only held in check by the wonders of science. Smile

Well Sagan and even Shakespeare recognized the futility of life. You are terminal at birth, you grow a bit, but the other side of that hilltop is oblivion. Some sickos think that means it is lack of morals or doomsday. Religion really does a great job of scaring people away from mundane reality.

Fearing a fictional afterlife is needless, it is like fearing your pre-birth. Nobody fears the afterlife of a tree or cockroach. Accepting our finite nature also does not mean we are immoral or lawless. It merely means we accept this is the one ride we get.

None of us gets out alive mate.

Personally, I'd like a few more years. 51 seems a little young these days. But in times past it was old. So who am I to grype.
I would like to make some original music though to leave behind. Everything I virtually did was play the music of others. Like bored to death classical players who get stuck playing old shit like Vivaldi and Beethoven.

Good music certainly. But dead. You know?

Lately I have thought I have wasted my knowledge just teaching. I play over 100 instruments. I should share it. Of course now after 10 months in a hospital bed everything has turned to shit. The last time I played the cuica it sounded like an insane dog had gotten hold of the instrument. Left me in tears.

It took a skype call to my samba master and endorser to calm me down. Still the depression lasted a week and I have not picked up the instrument since. Too scared.

And I am supposed to be a master and teach this shit.

Fucking life will kick you in the arse when you least expect it.

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
31-12-2015, 06:54 AM
I came across her and research about 6 years ago. I was being heavy into Xtian apologetics then and was Looking for some source quotes by Dr. Bart Erhman when a link carried me down the rabbit hole to a site featuring much of her work.
Her stuff was the very first material I had read that was from the other side of the fence...so to say.
I read and dug deep into her claims for no other reason than to just disprove her claims
I read what the Theological Research Scholars said of her work and what the other critics claimed of her.
But much f their defense was based on Textual Bias and straw-man arguments. Even some of her own colleagues in the field made similar statements about her.

I believe her works was what originally made me start seriously questioning the validity of Christianity and it's claims,
I feel she assumed too much at times and her conclusions on many things were reached by her own anti-christian bias , but never the less even a broke clock is right twice a day and much of her work appeared to ring true.
I can't say I'm a huge fan of her...but she will be remembered as a champion "Myth-Buster'
[+] 1 user Likes John Silver's post