Ack! I need feedback!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2012, 09:53 PM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2012 10:01 PM by socken.)
Ack! I need feedback!
I really don’t have anyone to bounce these things off of so I’m hoping get some input here. I work at a small company—10 people. We are a family, we try anyway. The owner, my direct boss, and the sales staff are hard core xtians. (I'm admin support so I do a bunch of things for everybody.) Though I’ve not directly verified it, I’m pretty sure they realize I’m at least a non-believer. I hear them talk about—or rather stop talking about—faith/church issues when I’m near. Makes me feel kind of like the weirdo red-headed step child that they feel sorry for. I have tremendous respect for my boss, am very fond of him, we click very well on a certain level; I hope to stay employed there for a long time, and I am respected and have proven myself a very moral, reliable, and trustworthy employee—3 years.
Today my boss sent out an email to “all users”—maybe you’ve seen it. It’s all these great pictures, funny but mostly heartwarming and sad-making with soldiers in various situations toward the end of it, and at the end it’s a prayer request. “ACLU has filed a suit to end prayer from the military completely. They're making great progress. The Navy Chaplains can no longer mention Jesus' name in prayer thanks to the ACLU and others. Don’t break this prayer chain, blah blah.”
I got really upset and was very distracted for the rest of the day. Was I reading too much into this? Maybe he just wanted to share the nice pictures. I don’t think so. Part of me exploded and drafted a snide response but I didn’t send it. I never respond to things like that. (There have been others but not so blatant.) First of all, I don’t think it’s appropriate at work, so I wonder if he’s baiting me. I doubt it, but he might be curious. I’m finding it harder and harder to go along to get along. At the same time, once a certain door is opened, there’s no closing it. What I finally came up with is the following. I still might not use it, but I feel like for something like this, not saying anything would indicate agreement:

“This is because it's not right for Private A to have to pray to Private B's god. Sectarian prayer violates the establishment clause of the first amendment, and all faiths should be catered to by military chaplains. But there is blatant proselytizing and outright discrimination against non-Christians in the military. And no, no one's rights are being violated; private B can pray til the cows come home or until his leg grows back. He doesn't need a chaplain for that: ‘The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.’”

[font=&quot]Does it sound bitter or snide? I thought it was a balance of humor and a practical explanation of the “unfairness” the email is implying, by shedding a light on the reason that obviously would not occur to a Christian. Thanks.[/font]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2012, 10:10 PM
RE: Ack! I need feedback!
Or maybe this...

Thanks for highlightling what a great job the ACLU are doing to uphold the constitution and therefore the rights of Jains, Jews, Muslims, non-believers, Zoroastrians, Buddhists, etc. who serve this country with pride and honour.

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
30-05-2012, 11:15 PM
I just read that the message about the ACLU is an urban legend and untrue. I should have known better.
[+] 1 user Likes socken's post
31-05-2012, 12:23 AM
I have a hard time thinking he would take the time and effort to "bait" you. It's probably just his gut reaction to such a made up story. If you think your job would be jeopardized by saying something, I think you're better off letting it roll off your back. But then again, I'm not a militant atheist. If you are, then you should definitely throw it back in his face that he had bought into a fucking scam!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
31-05-2012, 12:51 AM
(31-05-2012 12:23 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I have a hard time thinking he would take the time and effort to "bait" you. It's probably just his gut reaction to such a made up story. If you think your job would be jeopardized by saying something, I think you're better off letting it roll off your back. But then again, I'm not a militant atheist. If you are, then you should definitely throw it back in his face that he had bought into a fucking scam!

When it comes to your job and mental well being, I think discretion is the better part of valour
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post