Acquired Savant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Acquired Savant
http://science.discovery.com/videos/inge...alent.html

What do you guys think about this? I'm really confused as to how something like this could happen. How could a head injury suddenly give someone the full ability to play the piano without any prior training or practice? Is it just bullshit? Is it some kind of amazingly lucky neurological misfire?

I kind of want to get a severe head injury now. Tongue LOL. Just kidding Tongue

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2011, 03:03 AM
RE: Acquired Savant
I sort of doubt its real, given that he had no prior experience and he had to learn a song well and learn how to play it phenomenally well.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
27-02-2011, 05:10 AM
He could have learned to play the piano incredibly fast because of the brain damage, but I doubt that he could have just instantly started to play.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
27-02-2011, 09:57 AM
His brain is registering emotions as music now, as far as I see it. Your brain can gain the basic concepts of something without lessons by observation. It's possible that when he sat down at that piano someone had been playing it before he sat down. Observing a pianist can allow your brain to remember the notes. Not that i'm an expert of course.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
27-02-2011, 05:36 PM
All logical replies, but no real scientific explanation. Logic and Science answers are sure are different.

I pretty much agree with everyone here.

His brain probably rewire itself ever since that injury, like what I mean is, some part of the brain or some region of his brain develops more than the other, and maybe more of his brain starts processing something else. Like using more brain power for sight or something.

"don't jump to conclusions until your 99%"

"dreams are the best source of creativity" me
02-03-2011, 10:41 PM
The thing that amazes me about stuff like this is that we ALL have these abilities. We just can't get to them for whatever reason. The brain is an amazing thing, full of potential and possibility, we just aren't able to harness every single thing it's capable of.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
03-03-2011, 12:44 AM
Well said Trillium13, If we unlocked our brain's secret, and understand how to use it ? Will it mean we will all become geniuses ? Or will we be limit by our gene, and many factors that influences it ?

I'm sure we all would love to become geniuses!

"don't jump to conclusions until your 99%"

"dreams are the best source of creativity" me
03-03-2011, 01:25 AM
There is so much debate and so little factual evidence that I don't know if this is real, a hoax or a misunderstanding of what is really going on. I chose not to speculate. If more tangible evidence comes my way I will examine it and learn something.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.