Act first, don't think later

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2012, 01:28 AM
Act first, don't think later
I was looking up information on chimps when I came across someone asking a question on answers.com about primate culture. I answered it and began to brows the other questions. I found one that asked if human and chimp blood were compatible. As soon as I read the provided answer, I knew that the person had to be a creationist. Here it is (my emphasis added):

Quote:Despite the evolution belief, we as humans cannot receive blood from any other animals and sometimes even other humans as the blood type must be the same or O and any other living creature does not have these types, as researched. This is commonly used as a argument against the evolution theory. (LINK)

I'm going to put my neck out by saying that the person didn't even bother to look this stuff up before they started using it to bash evolution. I liken this to someone answering a question about physics by saying 2 + 2 = 5 disproves the Big Bang Theory. I am no expert on the subject myself, but I do know that Chimps have ABO type counterparts to human ABO types. In addition, I've read and heard several prominent Primatologists, Jane Goodall for instance, who said humans could receive blood from a chimp if their types were matched. Granted, I'm sure several factors would influence whether the transfusion was successful or not.

What pisses me off is that the answer has been "recommended" so many times that it is no longer open for wiki editing. This means that it is there to stay. However, I have flagged it for being biased. In the long run, I realize that people who truly want to know such things are probably going to go to an actual science-related site, or at least read a book.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-06-2012, 01:58 AM
RE: Act first, don't think later
Quote:Despite the evolution belief, we as humans cannot receive blood from any other animals and sometimes even other humans as the blood type must be the same or O and any other living creature does not have these types, as researched. This is commonly used as a argument against the evolution theory.
That's not right, that's not even wrong!

In addition to what you said above, I heard researchers are recently trying to use animal organs such as that of a pig's to be used for organ transplantation into humans. Needless to say, people come out with the funniest protests, like "WE WILL ALL TURN INTO PIGS IF THIS HAPPENS". I think this all stems from fear of using non-human tissues due to lack of understanding of the subject matter.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
Find all posts by this user
29-06-2012, 02:00 AM
I just figured out a way to edit the answer. I'll will be deleting the old entry with extreme prejudice.
[+] 3 users Like ghostexorcist's post
29-06-2012, 02:52 AM
YES, kill the infidels!! As for the organs, a human can receive pig's heart valves and liver. Also, weren't there some experiments where scientists grew human ear on a mouse, so that they can produce all sorts of organs, to be transplanted into humans later?

Why the hell couldn't we take primates blood? It could even boost our immune system, being immune as a chimp/champ.

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
29-06-2012, 11:39 AM
I'm finding more and more of this anti-evolution crap on that website. Someone asked why humans have less chromosomes than Chimps. This was the answer (my emphasis added) (click to expand):

Quote: Chimpanzees have 48 (24 pairs) chromosomes while man has 46 (23 pairs). Evolutionists claim, without evidence, that two chromosomes in the putative humanchimp common ancestor possibly fused to become the human chromosome 2. The number of chromosomes of a species has little to do with the complexity of the organism or the amount of DNA. Jackrabbits, hares, cultivated tobacco, and most types of potato also have 48 chromosomes. Does that mean that we also share jackrabbits, hares, tobacco, and potatoes as our common ancestors too? Obviously not. Guppies, like humans, also have 46 chromosomes, but there are many differences in the genetic blueprints that make a guppy and the genetic blueprints that make a human. Therefore within our current species and others we can clearly observe that an exact number of chromosomes or a closeness in chromosomes proves nothing.

In summary, the chimpanzee and human genome projects demonstrated that the fusion did not result in loss of protein coding genes. Instead, the human locus contains approximately 150 thousand additional base pairs NOT found in chimpanzee chromosome 12 and 13 (now also known as 2A and 2B). If fusion had occurred, then it would have left the fused product with less DNA (Deoxyribonucleic Acid) not more.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_humans_...z1zCjSqDdA

Notice how they get hung up on the number of chromosomes that animals have as opposed to trying to disprove the high level of genetic relatability between humans and Chimps. Classic straw man argument. I replaced the material with this:

Quote:Chimpanzees have 48 (24 pairs) chromosomes while man has 46 (23 pairs). This is due to the fact that one pair of chromosomes fused during the course of human evolution. Chromosomes have end cap markers called "Telomeres" to protect them from damage. They also have a marker called "Centromeres" that shows were splitting (mitosis) happened in the center of the chromosome. Scientists found in 2004 that the center of human chromosome #2 had two connected Telomeres, meaning that the ends of two chromosomes had fused. For more, see:

Hillier et al (2004) "Generation and Annotation of the DNA Sequences of Human Chromosome 2 and 4," Nature 434: 724-731
29-06-2012, 01:00 PM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2012 01:03 PM by ClydeLee.)
(29-06-2012 01:58 AM)robotworld Wrote:  
Quote:Despite the evolution belief, we as humans cannot receive blood from any other animals and sometimes even other humans as the blood type must be the same or O and any other living creature does not have these types, as researched. This is commonly used as a argument against the evolution theory.
That's not right, that's not even wrong!

In addition to what you said above, I heard researchers are recently trying to use animal organs such as that of a pig's to be used for organ transplantation into humans. Needless to say, people come out with the funniest protests, like "WE WILL ALL TURN INTO PIGS IF THIS HAPPENS". I think this all stems from fear of using non-human tissues due to lack of understanding of the subject matter.
Like this: [Image: piglets_red_spotted.jpg]

Oh what is the world coming... from. This nonsense is what. We have less chromosomes, I can't say I'm related to my potato anymore, I have to tell him he is adopted. Weeping

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
29-06-2012, 01:07 PM
No blood bank would even consider crossmatching like this. Besides the "bloodtype", there are many other circulating antibodies, which is THE most frequent reason, beyond the obvious typing involved, that blood is rejected, for any individual. The probability of rejection/anaphylaxsis is astronomical.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche