Activism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2014, 05:55 PM
Activism
I've been pondering for while...

Should we be actively attempting to deconvert? Looking for ways to undo the indoctrination?

Maybe:
Newsletters?
Trolling theist sites?
Grooming the next generation of Hitchens?
Sunday morning door-to-door?
Discounts at secular-oriented shops?
Etc.

Thoughts?

Consider

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
22-11-2014, 05:59 PM
RE: Activism
Coupons?

That's all I got right now. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 5 users Like kim's post
22-11-2014, 06:19 PM
I feel like there's already quite a bit of activism already happening. We've got podcasts, forums, Blogs, youtube channels, atheist tv channel, conventions, meetup groups, a few organizations that fight legal battles against unlawful religious policies, etc., and it keeps growing.

Meanwhile, the religious are feeling the pressure from this. Acting out, getting a little more vocal, tipping their cards a bit, and proving how crazy they can actually be. I tend to think this helps us with deconversions more than it helps them with new members.

I don't know if we should be more active than this.

DLJ Wrote:Should we be actively attempting to deconvert?
Looking for ways to undo the indoctrination?

These I feel are way too in-your-face, would really turn people off, and perpetuate the notion at atheists are trying to take religion away from people. Religion is very sacred to people who hold it, and I think these actions would hurt rather than help.

DLJ Wrote:Newsletters?
Trolling theist sites?

Newsletters? Consider maybe

Trolling theist sites? I'd say sure, except how about not trolling, and actually just going and trying to talk about atheism. We don't take kindly to theist trolls, why would we expect them to give atheist trolls the time of day?

Grooming the next Hitchens? I wonder if someone like that will be needed down the line, but I'd love to see someone on that level again.

Discounts at secular stores. What would a secular-oriented store be?

I will say, I'd love to see a major non profit national organization created to help those who have escaped indoctrination. Something with therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists willing to help work through whatever negative affect their religion inflicted upon them, the deconversion process, family counseling, etc. I think it would be really useful to a lot of people. I also think seeing how helpful it was, and how many people use the service would speak volumes to others. We know full well how harmful religion can be. I think an organization like that would get used often.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 6 users Like Smercury44's post
22-11-2014, 06:22 PM (This post was last modified: 22-11-2014 06:38 PM by CleverUsername.)
I wanna picket theists' weddings! Yes

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post
22-11-2014, 07:08 PM
I think just getting the facts out about science helps.

One thing that religious organizations have over atheists is doing good deeds on a big scale. Even though much of the money never ends up where it's supposed to, religious charities promote themselves like crazy. I wish there was well established atheist charity organizations on an international scale that provided doctors, medicine, food and the like to less fortunate places in the world. There are a few atheist charities but nothing like some of the Christian charities. I think this would give pause to some of the religious skeptics who think of atheists as immoral satanic worshippers and might help deconvert some theists.

Bill Gates, who's probably agnostic, has done amazing work in impoverished countries but his work isn't truly tied to atheist/agnostic circles, it's an extension of his wealth.

Anyway, that's what I think. Thumbsup

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
22-11-2014, 08:15 PM
(22-11-2014 05:55 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I've been pondering for while...

Should we be actively attempting to deconvert? Looking for ways to undo the indoctrination?

Maybe:
Newsletters?
Trolling theist sites?
Etc.

Thoughts?

Consider

Holidays. We must have holidays.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 7 users Like evenheathen's post
22-11-2014, 08:27 PM
As someone who has been banned from Christian forums on many occasions, it's nearly impossible to sustain any kind of time on those places. So trolling those sites won't be effective, and even commenting under the guise of a friendly atheist will still get you banned fairly quickly.

I think Facebook and Twitter is a great way to have public debate with theists so the fringe can observe and get answers without having to "come out" or be vocal for fear of repercussions.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
22-11-2014, 11:42 PM
If appropriate I like to simply bring up that Evolution is a fact. Science and especially evolution is very corrosive to religion.

I brought this up to my Aunt once when she was irritating me by imposing her beliefs and praise in God. She didn't believe me until I googled that the Catholic Church she belongs to has accepted evolution as fact since 1966.

I certainly haven't de converted her but I'm sure I put a dent in her armour.
[+] 1 user Likes Luckyluciano's post
22-11-2014, 11:48 PM
I personally don't see much point. People can be greatly agitated when defending their own religion against logic and facts. The more one pushes, the more a person withdraws.
22-11-2014, 11:50 PM
(22-11-2014 11:42 PM)Luckyluciano Wrote:  If appropriate I like to simply bring up that Evolution is a fact. Science and especially evolution is very corrosive to religion.

I brought this up to my Aunt once when she was irritating me by imposing her beliefs and praise in God. She didn't believe me until I googled that the Catholic Church she belongs to has accepted evolution as fact since 1966.

I certainly haven't de converted her but I'm sure I put a dent in her armour.

I did this with my SIL. I single-handedly made her go from not believing in evolution to believing in it with just one email stating the same thing you did. It made me sick to see her just instantly believe something because the church believed it, instead of respecting the scientific method and understanding the theory, etc. Sheeple.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post