Activism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2014, 12:14 AM
RE: Activism
Curious to know, what do you think, DLJ?

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-11-2014, 12:25 AM
Never understood active atheism. I mean one can argue that it is to stop bigots of religion, but people of religion can join us as well. Seems redundant, we just don't accept the god concept, besides joking about religion(which you can also do as a theist mind you) there is not much to being an atheist, hell you can be an atheist with a religion.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
23-11-2014, 12:38 AM
(23-11-2014 12:25 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  .. hell you can be an atheist with a religion.

What religion could an atheist be apart of while still being an atheist?

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
23-11-2014, 12:38 AM
(23-11-2014 12:38 AM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(23-11-2014 12:25 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  .. hell you can be an atheist with a religion.

What religion could an atheist be apart of while still being an atheist?

Buddhism, shamanism just to name some

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
23-11-2014, 12:55 AM
(22-11-2014 05:55 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I've been pondering for while...

Should we be actively attempting to deconvert? Looking for ways to undo the indoctrination?

Maybe:
Newsletters?
Trolling theist sites?
Grooming the next generation of Hitchens?
Sunday morning door-to-door?
Discounts at secular-oriented shops?
Etc.

Thoughts?

Consider

The way I figure it, deconversion happens in many stages. You gotta start at the beginning with a lot of people.

So I try to teach and model critical thinking. First step.
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
23-11-2014, 12:57 AM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2014 01:02 AM by Smercury44.)
Removed

23-11-2014, 02:00 AM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2014 02:11 AM by Ace.)
(22-11-2014 05:55 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I've been pondering for while...

Should we be actively attempting to deconvert? Looking for ways to undo the indoctrination?

Maybe:
Newsletters?
Trolling theist sites?
Grooming the next generation of Hitchens?
Sunday morning door-to-door?
Discounts at secular-oriented shops?
Etc.

Thoughts?

Consider

NO we shouldn't be actively trying to deconvert others

but YES we should be instead actively sowing the seeds of doubt in the minds of sheep, then we should subtly increase their doubt and a desire to search answers from sources that are not supportive of their preconceived conclusions
Big Grin

we need to make them chip away at their wall of indoctrinated ummm "word of god" by their own free will
we just need to make them want to question their own beliefs in such a way that they truly believe their doing it because they chose too
[+] 3 users Like Ace's post
23-11-2014, 02:19 AM
Nope.

[Image: oscar.png]
23-11-2014, 02:42 AM
(23-11-2014 02:19 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Nope.

I'd love to hear more about your thoughts on this Shy

[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
23-11-2014, 03:20 AM
Eh, I'm thinking not. I mean, not that we shouldn't do anything as much as we shouldnt like go door to door to push atheism in people's faces. One, I think it would make people too angry to listen, and two, seems too much of a chruchy/religion thing to do. I think we should keep putting content out for people to find (podcasts, blog posts, ect) and to talk about it when the topic/a topic of religion pops up. That way, its there without people feeling too pressured into it. I think its when you make people feel pressured into changing that they automatically shut down so activism probably wouldn't be the best way to get athiesm out there.

[Image: notagain.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Miss Suzanne's post