Activism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2014, 04:28 AM
RE: Activism
(23-11-2014 12:38 AM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(23-11-2014 12:25 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  .. hell you can be an atheist with a religion.

What religion could an atheist be apart of while still being an atheist?

Hinduism in some parts of my country where some only consider it to be a way of life rather than the worship of sky people

key word: some parts
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-11-2014, 04:43 AM
Atheists are now at the junction where gays found themselves in the 70s. Still largely closeted, but more and more of us are coming out publicly.

Societies don't change overnight, but one can lay the seeds of change in the course of a generation.

Back then there were some gay activists and most closet gays shuddered at the thought of coming out. The activists were loud enough to start the conversation.

That is what it takes, to start society talking. Atheism has done that now, more and more of us are coming out, the conversation will go on until everyone knows an atheist, whether a friend, a relative or a public figure, all of them having come out.

That is the root of change, as we learned from gays, women, pot smokers and what have you.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
23-11-2014, 05:25 AM
(23-11-2014 12:55 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  ...
The way I figure it, deconversion happens in many stages. You gotta start at the beginning with a lot of people.

So I try to teach and model critical thinking. First step.

Agreed.

What would be the best way to tackle that / make it happen...

... globally?

Consider

23-11-2014, 05:49 AM
(23-11-2014 05:25 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(23-11-2014 12:55 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  ...
The way I figure it, deconversion happens in many stages. You gotta start at the beginning with a lot of people.

So I try to teach and model critical thinking. First step.

Agreed.

What would be the best way to tackle that / make it happen...

... globally?

Consider

make them doubt their own belief without them ever knowing that it is in fact their own belief that their doubting in the first place

this is the best I could come up with Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
23-11-2014, 06:14 AM
(23-11-2014 12:38 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(23-11-2014 12:38 AM)Smercury44 Wrote:  What religion could an atheist be apart of while still being an atheist?

Buddhism, shamanism just to name some

Buddhism isn't a religion in the sense in which that word is commonly understood, for it is not "a system of faith and worship owing any allegiance to a supernatural being." Buddhism does not demand blind faith from its adherents. ... That's from a Buddhist website, and I agree, Buddhism isn't a religion.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-11-2014, 06:35 AM
(23-11-2014 06:14 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  ...
Buddhism isn't a religion.

... except for tax purposes.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
23-11-2014, 08:51 AM
(23-11-2014 06:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(23-11-2014 06:14 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  ...
Buddhism isn't a religion.

... except for tax purposes.

Drinking Beverage

Touché

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
23-11-2014, 10:53 AM
How many of you have read "A manual for creating Atheists?" I'm reading it right now, good book.

I normally don't care about converting people, but there are two huge problems I have with religion in America right now. The first is that they are turning it into politics in a HUGE way. The second is that the are becoming aggressive with their message and pseudoscience. This is dangerous for society because you have a bunch of idiots running around thinking that they are right. The good news is that they are doing this because they realize the end is near for them.

When they bring up religion, I just let them know that I don't believe, followed by a few reasons why I don't believe. They always ask questions thinking they will stump you. (Remember, this is a matter of heaven or hell for them, they have to try to at least save you.) I found the key is to have answers for these questions that make MORE sense than what is in their heads already.

During the process over multiple conversations, you have to remember one key element. For you, it is about God being there or not. For them, God represents Morals, Hope, Love, and anything Good. You have to make sure to separate these. "I love all the good you do at church, god just doesn't make sense to me." Now you have them talking to you, and you can questions everything they say in a way that doesn't offend them, and make them think.

I think I am going to start a somewhat aggressive campaign challenging different church leaders though, they are either too dumb to know all the holes in the history of christianity, or they are blatant liars. Either way, it hurts everybody.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
[+] 2 users Like microterf's post
23-11-2014, 12:33 PM
(23-11-2014 12:38 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(23-11-2014 12:38 AM)Smercury44 Wrote:  What religion could an atheist be apart of while still being an atheist?

Buddhism, shamanism just to name some

Hmm, are you thinking in terms of performing rituals where correct action is important, but your beliefs are not?
23-11-2014, 03:10 PM

Silly atheist. Big Grin

Oh. And Gwynnies.
[Image: gwynnies.jpg]

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post