Activism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2014, 03:00 PM
RE: Activism
(25-11-2014 02:57 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I say we start with the US House of Representatives.

House Republicans Pass Bill Forbidding Scientists from Advising EPA on Their OWN Research

"We get it, you don't like science. Especially when it interferes with your corporate clients."

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politic...n-research

The Titanic

I do not have the words to express the outrage and disgust I feel for the US congress

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2014, 03:19 PM
(25-11-2014 03:00 PM)unfogged Wrote:  I do not have the words to express the outrage and disgust I feel for the US congress.

Oh believe me, I do. I just don't have the time or the strength to exude that much bile all in one place. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
25-11-2014, 03:29 PM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2014 07:52 PM by Full Circle.)
Money trumps science, common sense and the public good.

We are a Republic but in name only, what we truly are is an oligarchy.

Maybe we could try this out for a change:

History[edit]
Especially during the fourth century BCE, after the restoration of democracy from oligarchical coups, the Athenians used the drawing of lots for selecting government officers in order to counteract what the Athenians acutely saw as a tendency toward oligarchy in government if a professional governing class were allowed to use their skills for their own benefit.[5][page needed] They drew lots from large groups of adult volunteers as a selection technique for civil servants performing judicial, executive, and administrative functions (archai, boulē, and hēliastai).[6] They even used lots for very important posts, such as judges and jurors in the political courts (nomothetai), which had the power to overrule the Assembly.[7]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
25-11-2014, 03:56 PM
(22-11-2014 05:55 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Should we be actively attempting to deconvert?
I don't know what "we" should be doing but

If I lived in a heavily religious country like USA where schools were constantly fighting over teaching evolution or creationism, where medical advancements are being held back because stem cell research is deemed unethical, where gay people are chastised because people believe that god says it is "wrong", where kids are pressured to pray in school or pledge to god etc, where people deny science theory because it conflicts with their favourite myth-stories. I might be compelled to be more vocal in public, to invest time in enlightening people.

I like Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, Kraus and the ilk that try to put up a case for No god.
I just don't like it when they delve into the "moral" sphere. Dawkins saying that it is immoral to bring a Downs child into the world just makes him look foolish.
25-11-2014, 03:57 PM
...and we left it up to the creationists we would become a Theocracy.

I think that the oligarchs are in bed with the theocrats. The oligarchs will manipulate information so that the rabid theocrats will do their bidding. That’s how I think the US is mostly governed.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
25-11-2014, 04:26 PM
(22-11-2014 05:55 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I've been pondering for while...

Should we be actively attempting to deconvert? Looking for ways to undo the indoctrination?

Maybe:
Newsletters?
Trolling theist sites?
Grooming the next generation of Hitchens?
Sunday morning door-to-door?
Discounts at secular-oriented shops?
Etc.

Thoughts?

Consider
Definitely not Sunday door to door; politics is bad enough.
Besides, it's the Sabbath.Cool
25-11-2014, 04:38 PM
Re: Activism
In my area, and I'm guessing most areas, you could make an impression by going out to lunch on Sunday a little while before the Christians get out of church after service.

Every restaurant and fast food place is packed full of them. Being rude, pushing people who aren't all dressed up...

Get there before them.

Wait, that might be just to irritate them. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
25-11-2014, 04:51 PM
(22-11-2014 05:55 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Sunday morning door-to-door?

"Hello. Have you heard that there isn't actually any 'good news'?"

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
25-11-2014, 05:10 PM

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
25-11-2014, 05:18 PM
(25-11-2014 03:57 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  ...and we left it up to the creationists we would become a Theocracy.

I think that the oligarchs are in bed with the theocrats. The oligarchs will manipulate information so that the rabid theocrats will do their bidding. That’s how I think the US is mostly governed.

[Image: 0.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post