Acts 16:31b

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Acts 16:31b
When I was a kid, I was in a church youth group called AWANA. We played games, sang songs, and memorized bible verses... but in some cases we didn't memorize entire verses. Only in my atheistic adulthood is it clear why.

One of the verses that practically every bible-reading Christian has learned is Acts 16:31a

Quote:They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved...

It's called "31a" because it's the first half of that verse -- the "important" part to some. So how does that verse end?

Quote:Acts 16:31b ...you and your household."

According to the bible, believing in the Lord Jesus Christ will bring salvation to you and your entire household. Who knew? I guess, despite being an atheist, my parents' Christianity is good enough to save me.

No modern Christian believes that... to them, the first half of that verse is literally true but the second half is metaphorically true. A theist might say that it means a Christian will preach to his or her household, saving them... but that would mean it only works sometimes (like in my personal case), and the bible doesn't give any such caveat. However, this verse's "b" section seems to be consistent with other things we know about God's nature from the bible.

Quote:Exodus 20:5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me.

So what do you think? Does this verse make it clear that God saves entire households that contain a believer? Or do you have a different theory?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
22-08-2012, 05:38 PM
RE: Acts 16:31b
It's certainly selective biblical reading when you start chopping sentences in half, applying letters to them. Any verses that were stripped down to a "c" or a "d" version? Dodgy
[+] 4 users Like Red Celt's post
22-08-2012, 05:58 PM
It is just another example where the bible orders us to do one thing in one verse and something completely different in another.

In most Anglican and Catholic church sermons I have had the pleasure to listen to there is really only a tiny % of the bible used and the same bits are used over and over again to reinforce some very simple ideas.

It begets an ignorant congregation and you get the feeling that that is exactly what the vicar/priest wants.

[Image: XJlTk.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Stan's post
22-08-2012, 06:15 PM
After reading the story again, it seems that the words were only meant for the jailor. Paul and Silas were showing special favor (revealed by God) to the jailor and letting him know that after his regeneration his entire household would also be regenerated. I don't think this story can be taking in the context of anyone and everyone since they were only addressing a particular person.

On a side note, this is further evidence for election as the household was saved by no choice of their own.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
22-08-2012, 06:46 PM
(22-08-2012 06:15 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  After reading the story again, it seems that the words were only meant for the jailor. Paul and Silas were showing special favor (revealed by God) to the jailor and letting him know that after his regeneration his entire household would also be regenerated. I don't think this story can be taking in the context of anyone and everyone since they were only addressing a particular person.

On a side note, this is further evidence for election as the household was saved by no choice of their own.

Irrespective of households, cities,or even nations can you please explain to me, other than for the Adam/Eve myth, what occurred pre fall to engender yahwehs wrath.
Thank you.
22-08-2012, 06:54 PM
(22-08-2012 06:46 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(22-08-2012 06:15 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  After reading the story again, it seems that the words were only meant for the jailor. Paul and Silas were showing special favor (revealed by God) to the jailor and letting him know that after his regeneration his entire household would also be regenerated. I don't think this story can be taking in the context of anyone and everyone since they were only addressing a particular person.

Irrespective of households, cities,or even nations can you please explain to me, other than for the Adam/Eve myth, what occurred pre fall to engender yahwehs wrath.
Thank you.

Nothing. It says in Romans that He hated Esau and loved Jacob. His love and hate have no condition. It is completely up to God.

22-08-2012, 07:10 PM

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
22-08-2012, 07:32 PM
(22-08-2012 07:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  

In Christianity, Chucky.

22-08-2012, 08:19 PM

If it was really meant only for the jailor, then perhaps God should've shown some discrimination and not included this in the bible. As I mentioned, I memorized this verse as a kid because the first half of this verse wasn't considered by my fellow Christians as directed at only the jailor -- we were told to learn it so we could quote it when someone asked us the same question that the jailor did ("What must I do to be saved?"). It's just when we come to the heretical second half of the verse that Christians feel the need to rationalize the context.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
22-08-2012, 08:34 PM
(22-08-2012 08:19 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  

If it was really meant only for the jailor, then perhaps God should've shown some discrimination and not included this in the bible. As I mentioned, I memorized this verse as a kid because the first half of this verse wasn't considered by my fellow Christians as directed at only the jailor -- we were told to learn it so we could quote it when someone asked us the same question that the jailor did ("What must I do to be saved?"). It's just when we come to the heretical second half of the verse that Christians feel the need to rationalize the context.

OR

maybe you were just told wrong?

I mean... read the context. What does it look like?