Actually aliens saved me.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2013, 07:02 AM
RE: Actually aliens saved me.
(20-10-2013 06:30 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Now whenever I watch Ancient Aliens on the history channel I start fuming out of the mouth yelling at these idiots. I'm glad your out of that trap. Big Grin

I get personally offended, these are my genetic blood ancestors being called too stupid and unresourceful to build monuments.
No one insults my family Censored

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2013, 07:15 AM
(20-10-2013 07:02 AM)sporehux Wrote:  
(20-10-2013 06:30 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Now whenever I watch Ancient Aliens on the history channel I start fuming out of the mouth yelling at these idiots. I'm glad your out of that trap. Big Grin

I get personally offended, these are my genetic blood ancestors being called too stupid and unresourceful to build monuments.
No one insults my family Censored
Exactly, I can't just laugh it off like most people. I see that they are true believers in this stuff, if they were entertaining the idea maybe I wouldn't be so angry. I mean really..they said that Leonardo da Vinci was an alien or given alien knowledge. This to me is sickening, a man's life's work every day hours of intense study and observation of the world from such a young age and they chuck it up to aliens.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
20-10-2013, 07:23 AM
(20-10-2013 07:15 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  This to me is sickening, a man's life's work every day hours of intense study and observation of the world from such a young age and they chuck it up to aliens.

It's easier to be satisfied with your own mediocrity if you assert that those who were exceptional were only exceptional because they had outside help. As in, Leonardo would have been a total loser like me if he hadn't had some alien at his elbow the whole time. Laughat

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
20-10-2013, 07:58 AM
(20-10-2013 04:12 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  To assert that it is impossible would be making the argument from ignorance fallacy.

Plenty of things are impossible. If we assume natural laws to be invariant. Which there is, of course, no reason not to do...

"I don't think it's likely, therefore it's not true" can be very much a poor argument. But "all known evidence suggests this to be very unlikely" is kind of the best argument there is. Assertions to the contrary runs afoul of the sensationalist's worst enemy, burden of proof.

I know you're long past believing it, but the claims don't even make sense!

(20-10-2013 02:58 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  What sold it for me was that the Sumerians knew the correct order of the planets and their colours.

... except they only knew about five of them (but hey! 5/7 is a pass!), and thought they went around the Earth. Not that they knew about any of the planets' moons. Or the actual structure of the solar system. Or its age. Or its size.

Of course, the colours are easy enough to see, provided you've got access to, er, the night sky.

(20-10-2013 02:58 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  mono atomic gold

NOPE

NOPE

NOPE

"mono atomic gold". That's not a thing.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
20-10-2013, 08:10 AM
(20-10-2013 07:23 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(20-10-2013 07:15 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  This to me is sickening, a man's life's work every day hours of intense study and observation of the world from such a young age and they chuck it up to aliens.

It's easier to be satisfied with your own mediocrity if you assert that those who were exceptional were only exceptional because they had outside help. As in, Leonardo would have been a total loser like me if he hadn't had some alien at his elbow the whole time. Laughat
Talent, also to be considered the most convenient of excuses. When you see an incredible oil painting or hear an awe inspiring piece of music you don't see the years of intense practice, mistakes and their earlier failings. They see only the end result.
Oh no, I can't do that, they were just "born with it" they have "talent" just a "god given gift". It downplays everything, makes it unattainable.

[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
20-10-2013, 08:18 AM
(20-10-2013 08:10 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  They see only the end result.
Oh no, I can't do that, they were just "born with it" they have "talent" just a "god given gift". It downplays everything, makes it unattainable.

just told my daughter today, when she was frustrated in a drawing, that the best artists in world had to learn shadows , perspective, highlighting etc, we checkedout some youtube tutorials.
Her next pokemon pic was AWESOME!

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 3 users Like sporehux's post
20-10-2013, 08:33 AM
(20-10-2013 08:10 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Talent, also to be considered the most convenient of excuses. When you see an incredible oil painting or hear an awe inspiring piece of music you don't see the years of intense practice, mistakes and their earlier failings. They see only the end result.

Talent does exist though, IMO, but it doesn't have nearly the degree of influence that hard work does. A talented guy who doesn't do the hard work is gonna produce shite without fail regardless. A talented guy who does put in the effort might get away with *slightly* less effort to get to a certain point that a no-talent hard worker, but if he wants to aim for the top he'll *still* have to work his butt off.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
20-10-2013, 08:56 AM
(20-10-2013 08:33 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(20-10-2013 08:10 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Talent, also to be considered the most convenient of excuses. When you see an incredible oil painting or hear an awe inspiring piece of music you don't see the years of intense practice, mistakes and their earlier failings. They see only the end result.

Talent does exist though, IMO, but it doesn't have nearly the degree of influence that hard work does. A talented guy who doesn't do the hard work is gonna produce shite without fail regardless. A talented guy who does put in the effort might get away with *slightly* less effort to get to a certain point that a no-talent hard worker, but if he wants to aim for the top he'll *still* have to work his butt off.
Talent to me seems to be just as you said before, for people to be comfortable with their mediocrity. If it has such a slight influence it might as well not even exist, it's to abstract of a concept.

20-10-2013, 11:17 AM
(20-10-2013 06:30 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  I'm glad your out of that trap. Big Grin

So am I! I also agree with you about how they underestimate human accomplishments. Maybe they don't realise that ancient man didn't have as many distractions as we have today. So they had plenty of time to figure shit out. Hell I don't know.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
[+] 1 user Likes BlackMason's post
20-10-2013, 11:42 AM
(20-10-2013 11:17 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  
(20-10-2013 06:30 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  I'm glad your out of that trap. Big Grin

So am I! I also agree with you about how they underestimate human accomplishments. Maybe they don't realise that ancient man didn't have as many distractions as we have today. So they had plenty of time to figure shit out. Hell I don't know.
Very true, they are a lot smarter than we give them credit for, and damn were they ever organized! The pyramids were built by experienced stone cutters and architects who were well confiscated. They were not slaves, this is such a travesty to be so ignorant of history. Fuck..some guy in ancient greece practically invented the steam engine although I guess he didn't see the practicality of it. If he did, damn maybe we'd be flying to the moon on weekends.