Ad Hominem Attacks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2014, 04:13 PM
RE: Ad Hominem Attacks
Just for clarification, I'm not talking about me being the token atheist on a Christian forum. I would fully expect some defensiveness and inclination to hostility if I went on a Christian forum trashing the very idea of a higher power. I'm talking primarily about guitar forums, where sooner or later political topics come up, and inevitably someone uses the Bible as justification or "proof" that homosexuality or any other thing they don't like is "wrong" because it's against God. I'll make a very neutral statement to the effect that one needs to prove a God exists before being able to claim to know its will, before then asserting that the unknown will of an unproven entity has any bearing on a whether or not gay people should have the same rights as straight people. For that I'll usually be accused of "disrespect" or attacking people and/or calling them stupid; just for the insinuation that they're basing their worldviews on hypotheses that wouldn't pass muster in the average middle school science fair.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2014, 05:01 PM
Ad hom...

I dunno. Think it's a convenient excuse a lot of the time for not thinking about / engaging with the content of the post. "Oh he called me an esoteric wanker, God, why can't people respond without an ad-hom, I think I'll go lie down. Not gonna respond to you in future if you're gonna use such a disrespectful tone".

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
15-12-2014, 05:22 PM
(15-12-2014 01:16 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  People often take it that way.

If someone asserts that brewing with extract only is just as good as all grain brewing, calling it stupid or uneducated wouldn't be an ad-hom at all.

Tell them that Noah is a myth and point out why, or explain the mountain of evidence supporting a planet that's millions of years old, and they accuse you of attacking their belief.

Facepalm

Yeah, but brewing with an extract is sacrilege. Tongue

The second mouse gets the cheese.
[+] 1 user Likes The Drake's post
15-12-2014, 07:29 PM
(15-12-2014 01:22 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Maybe someone better trained in debating and the logical fallacies can correct me if I'm wrong but to me there's a big difference between saying:

A) Your beliefs are foolish

And;

B) You are foolish for believing

The first is not an ad-hominem attack, the second is.

No actually neither is.

I think it would be perfectly acceptable to say "You are foolish to believe the New York Yankees won the Superbowl". If your beliefs are foolish then you most certainly are a fool for holding them.

Attacking the person is going beyond the claim itself. It is when you paint them to be a moron in all aspects of their life because of one claim you know they are foolish for holding. It is a personal attack when you make one claim the entirety of the person. People hold many claims on many subjects so they may not be foolish about other claims.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-12-2014, 10:31 PM
"An ad hominem, short for argumentum ad hominem, means responding to arguments by attacking a person's character, rather than to the content of their arguments. When used inappropriately, it is a fallacy in which a claim or argument is dismissed on the basis of some irrelevant fact or supposition about the author or the person being criticized." - Wikipedia

The defining feature of ad hominem is that the speaker/writer completely ignores the argument of this opponent while simultaneously making a personal attack on said opponent. E.g.,

ATHEIST: "Scholars generally agree that the Testimonium Flavianum is an interpolation."

THEIST: "Only an evil person would believe that!"

Ad hominem is the last resort of one who has no argument.

Sapere aude
15-12-2014, 10:45 PM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2014 10:48 PM by EvolutionKills.)
You can have your cake and eat it too. An ad hominen attack is when you attacks someone personally in place of an actual argument, not in addition to an actual argument. So you can call someone foolish, then back that up with a reasoned refutation of their foolishness, and you calling them foolish is not an ad hominen if the rest of your argument can still stand on it's own.

You are foolish and therefore wrong - this is an ad hominen.

You are foolish, and here are the reasons why you are wrong and thus foolish - this is not an ad hominen.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
15-12-2014, 11:29 PM
(15-12-2014 04:00 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Ad Hominem Attacks ...

I think they're fun.
As long as you have a point to make also ... go for it.

If you insist.

Bucky, you're an idiot.

Therefore you're arguments are invalid.

Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
21-12-2014, 01:41 AM
The most common one I get is "you're calling me stupid". Know, I'm saying you make stupid claims in this case. Although in many cases the former is true as well, and is supported by substantial evidence of stupidity.
21-12-2014, 07:40 AM
(21-12-2014 01:41 AM)freetoreason Wrote:  The most common one I get is "you're calling me stupid". Know, I'm saying you make stupid claims in this case. Although in many cases the former is true as well, and is supported by substantial evidence of stupidity.

Like using "know" when you mean no. Laughat

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-12-2014, 08:19 AM
(21-12-2014 07:40 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 01:41 AM)freetoreason Wrote:  The most common one I get is "you're calling me stupid". Know, I'm saying you make stupid claims in this case. Although in many cases the former is true as well, and is supported by substantial evidence of stupidity.

Like using "know" when you mean no. Laughat

Ha, well it was 2:41 am, although I can't claim to have been drinking. Maybe old age? How about this, know this my son, I'm saying you make stupid claims. Just left out the this my son part.Blush
[+] 1 user Likes freetoreason's post